Hypnotherapy for BJJ

This might be a really dumb ? If I have a mac ,can I download he mp3 to my iTunes ?

This might be a really dumb ? If I have a mac ,can I download he mp3 to my iTunes ?

Sure you can. Its all about repetition guys. Mental training is just like physical. The more times you listen, the more you will get out of it.

PS.. Check out next months issue of Positive health. I have an article featured on why I make hypnosis recordings and what psychological basis there is for their effectiveness.

if i was a hypnotherapist i would definately add some robocop-esque secret directives.

'when you wake up you will be the sickest breh and tap everyone out.... except for me'

I bought the MP3 yesterday. I skipped all the hypnosis stuff 'cause I was driving, and I just wanted to hear the "suggestion" part. Basically, it motivates you to be confident every time you're on the mats, to believe in your technique, to execute technique as you were taught without hesitation, to approach rolling like a flowing chess match, and to absorb your all training in detail.

Before I tried this, I had zero experience in hypnosis so I wasn't sure what, if anything, I was supposed to feel. Anyhow, before I slept, I played the MP3 three times, each time waking up and replaying. All three times, I only remembered the countdown to wake me up. It was as if I laid down, pressed play and only listened to the ending. I was super peaceful and relaxed every time I awoke. Now I'm not going to proclaim that anything worked, but I was surprised to wake up all three times on cue. I've never been hypnotized prior, so I'll just assume something may have happened!

One thing's for sure, the MP3 helped me relax and forget my anxiety (I had a very bad day yesterday). For that alone, it's worth it. As for BJJ results, I'll let you know if I miraculously triangle a purple belt this weekend. Thanks again Zen!

Mark

I bought the MP3 yesterday. I skipped all the hypnosis stuff 'cause I was driving, and I just wanted to hear the "suggestion" part. Basically, it motivates you to be confident every time you're on the mats, to believe in your technique, to execute technique as you were taught without hesitation, to approach rolling like a flowing chess match, and to absorb your all training in detail.

Before I tried this, I had zero experience in hypnosis so I wasn't sure what, if anything, I was supposed to feel. Anyhow, before I slept, I played the MP3 three times, each time waking up and replaying. All three times, I only remembered the countdown to wake me up. It was as if I laid down, pressed play and only listened to the ending. I was super peaceful and relaxed every time I awoke. Now I'm not going to proclaim that anything worked, but I was surprised to wake up all three times on cue. I've never been hypnotized prior, so I'll just assume something may have happened!

One thing's for sure, the MP3 helped me relax and forget my anxiety (I had a very bad day yesterday). For that alone, it's worth it. As for BJJ results, I'll let you know if I miraculously triangle a purple belt this weekend. Thanks again Zen!

Mark

How often are you suppose to listen to it?

How often are you suppose to listen to it?

HI curb. Glad you are finding the recording relaxing 177ark. I advise looking at it as mental training. Just like rolling at your club, the more you practice the better. I have used an 'Ericksonian' style of suggestion. This method leaves the suggestions intentially vague so that you can continually use it to mentally train whatever you are working on at present. This way it can supplement your physical training permanently. This Ericksonian style is often refered to as the art of being 'specifically vague'.

Ps guys. Please tell folks you train with about the MP3 and post on club websites or forums.

HI curb. Glad you are finding the recording relaxing 177ark. I advise looking at it as mental training. Just like rolling at your club, the more you practice the better. I have used an 'Ericksonian' style of suggestion. This method leaves the suggestions intentially vague so that you can continually use it to mentally train whatever you are working on at present. This way it can supplement your physical training permanently. This Ericksonian style is often refered to as the art of being 'specifically vague'.

Ps guys. Please tell folks you train with about the MP3 and post on club websites or forums.

Just bought it. I'll try it tonight.

Congrats on the brown belt.

As for the hypnotist stuff, am I the only one that finds this kind of thing ludicrous?

To me its right up there with homeopathic medicine. Its basically a form a robbery, away to charge people for a placebo effect.

Sorry for the brutal honesty, but its sad to see people waste money on things like this. The could instead be spending it on a practical learning tool, like MGinAction.

Congrats on the brown belt.

As for the hypnotist stuff, am I the only one that finds this kind of thing ludicrous?

To me its right up there with homeopathic medicine. Its basically a form a robbery, away to charge people for a placebo effect.

Sorry for the brutal honesty, but its sad to see people waste money on things like this. The could instead be spending it on a practical learning tool, like MGinAction.

I would agree if you were talking about breast enlargement, or some of the silly claims for hypnosis being some magical state, that can give it a bad name. As a Psychologist however I could point you towards a thousand peer reviewed peices of research that back up the benefits of visulisation for a whole host of reasons. Not least to improve sporting performance.

Case in point. A recent documented study conducted by Dr. Blaslotto at the University of Chicago was done where he split people into three groups and tested each group on how many free throws they could make.

After this, he had the first group practice free throws every day for an hour.

The second group just visualized themselves making free throws.

The third group did nothing.

After 30 days, he tested them again.

The first group improved by 24%.

The second group improved by 23% without touching a basketball.

The third group did not improve which was expected.

Many professionals would back this up. If it's not for you tho, then it's not for you.

So I got the mp3. I am interested since my instructor has been dangling the purple belt over my head for 6 months. I do feel it is a mental blo k that won't let me turn the corner so I am going to see if it's helps

couple ?'s. Would looping it and playing it while you sleep help or do I need to set aside a time so I visualize or both? Right before bed? How would you use it on a daily basis?

As a silly anedote I went out last night and got pretty tanked. I looped the mp3 to play during sleep I woke up around 10am without any sign of a hangover!! Pretty funny

So I got the mp3. I am interested since my instructor has been dangling the purple belt over my head for 6 months. I do feel it is a mental blo k that won't let me turn the corner so I am going to see if it's helps

couple ?'s. Would looping it and playing it while you sleep help or do I need to set aside a time so I visualize or both? Right before bed? How would you use it on a daily basis?

As a silly anedote I went out last night and got pretty tanked. I looped the mp3 to play during sleep I woke up around 10am without any sign of a hangover!! Pretty funny

Hey buddy. Glad I may have helped stave off the hangover lol. Whether recordings of this nature have any extra benefit while you sleep is a much debated subject. My view would be, what harm can it do!? As for when to listen. I personally use it about once every 3 days as I lie in bed at night. Currently Im working on my cross guard a lot, so I visualise cross guard related rolling etc. Each new sweep I add in during training I then add in to my mental training. My visualisation basically mirrors my actual physical training at any given time.

On an interesting side note. A cople of well known BJJ players are trying this out for me, so their feedback will be interesting and I will share when I get it!

ps. Good luck with the purple!

Jon

I bought the MP3 and have been using this for 3 days now and training each night.

Here is my review

First off the accent surprised me. For some reason I was not expecting an Irish accent. I got used to it quickly. The MP3 is very relaxing and I have to say I really enjoy it. I feel somewhat refreshed after listening and it is much better than many other hypnosis recordings I have heard. As far as my training goes. I definately think I am remembering the small details of new techniques better when on the mat, because Im focusing on them when I listen and drilling them mentally. I also keep hearing this irish accent in my head saying "Relax" when I get a bit hyper (as I tend to). These are positive signs although it is early days. In conclusion I think this could be a cool tool ONLY WHEN used along with regular training. I told my Black Belt instructor about it and he bought a copy. Getting his opinion will be cool. I recommend giving it a go. I used to use a lot of visualisation techniques for football and it helped then so I was keen to try.

Last edited:
I bought the MP3 and have been using this for 3 days now and training each night.

Here is my review

First off the accent surprised me. For some reason I was not expecting an Irish accent. I got used to it quickly. The MP3 is very relaxing and I have to say I really enjoy it. I feel somewhat refreshed after listening and it is much better than many other hypnosis recordings I have heard. As far as my training goes. I definately think I am remembering the small details of new techniques better when on the mat, because Im focusing on them when I listen and drilling them mentally. I also keep hearing this irish accent in my head saying "Relax" when I get a bit hyper (as I tend to). These are positive signs although it is early days. In conclusion I think this could be a cool tool ONLY WHEN used along with regular training. I told my Black Belt instructor about it and he bought a copy. Getting his opinion will be cool. I recommend giving it a go. I used to use a lot of visualisation techniques for football and it helped then so I was keen to try.

Glad you are enjoying it buddy.

this thread reminds me of when dumbo shit himself because he tried to fly without his magic feather. fucking crows

I would agree if you were talking about breast enlargement, or some of the silly claims for hypnosis being some magical state, that can give it a bad name. As a Psychologist however I could point you towards a thousand peer reviewed peices of research that back up the benefits of visulisation for a whole host of reasons. Not least to improve sporting performance.

Case in point. A recent documented study conducted by Dr. Blaslotto at the University of Chicago was done where he split people into three groups and tested each group on how many free throws they could make.

After this, he had the first group practice free throws every day for an hour.

The second group just visualized themselves making free throws.

The third group did nothing.

After 30 days, he tested them again.

The first group improved by 24%.

The second group improved by 23% without touching a basketball.

The third group did not improve which was expected.

Many professionals would back this up. If it's not for you tho, then it's not for you.

This is a PERFECT explain of the tom-foolery of hypnotherapy/visualization proponates.

First let me address the main point of your post: a study by Dr. Blaslotto at the University of Chicago proves the power of hypnotherapy in sports.

First off, the premise of your post is basically showing that this famous study proves hypnotherapy is legitimate. This makes almost no sense, from your post it sounds like he's using imagery, not hypnosis.

But excusing that small detail, a quick search through PubMed revealed zero study by a Dr. Blasotto. I'm not even sure if this doctor exists. And from a quick google search, it sounds like the entire study is bogus: Maroon Opinions: Judd Blaslotto, Basketball, and the University of Chicago

This is a perfect example of the baseless evidence used to market new-age treatments.

It does mention a study using imagery, but it doesn't appear to be peer-reviewed or state the statistical significance of any findings. This study was also performed in the 60's, far from "recent". So basically, if this non-existent study is your go to evidence for the scientific proof, that's pretty abysmal.

Back