Hyper extended arm, very slow to "heal"

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tim18t, Sep 21, 2010.

1. tim18t

tim18t Blue Belt

15 or so days ago I was caught in an extremely tight arm bar and my elbow made popping sounds like the 4th of July. For the following few days the arm was essentially useless.
    I went to see my doctor and they by looking from 7 feet away and judging the movement ability said it was just general soreness, ect. I went again to a different Dr. a couple days ago because it still really aches when extended or collapsed. Same diagnosis without so much as feeling the arm, x-ray, mri, nothing.

I have been grappling for about 2.5 years on and off total and have never had much more than an ankle sprain, so this is quite new to me to have an injury that not only lingers but still really hurts.

Any advice for where to go from here?

2. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

elbow mcl sprain? Mine just started to feel better- 5 months later

2nd opinions are good too for docs

3. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

From your description its clear you just didnt want to tap ("really tight arm bar" "popped multiple times") it wasnt a really quick arm bar that u didnt have time to tap to....you had your arm extended out and your ego wouldnt let you tap. ::shrugs::

TAP!! You didn't want to hurt your EGO so you allowed your arm to get hurt??

I did that early in my training but its just not worth it. Everyone has gotten hurt at least once or twice from not wanting to tap....I hope you learned its just smarter to tap. Tapping out doesnt mean anything!!!! It doenst mean your opponent is better!! After 2 and half years you should know this

That being said, ICE IT! I have tendonistis right now from over extending a punch and my elbow is snapping, locking up, and KILLS when its closed all the way in......but nothing you can do but ice it 5-6 times a day in 15 min intervals.

Also I would drill the hitchhiker escape (with light resistance) and any other escape that you know. Its a tricky position to try to escape from. The hitchhiker is a last resort and if it fails you have to immediatelyyyyyyy tap! Not try something else bc at that point the guy has your wrist how he wants it, knees pinched, and just needs to lift his hips to seriously damage your arm.

Was at Pride GP 2000 likes this.
  4. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Isn't icing just against swelling? I don't think it will swell anymore after 15 days.

In no way i'm saying this is what to do, but a guy had me doing this daily after i injured my arm by an armbar.

Extend your arm , carefully offcourse and turn your wrist slowely from all the way left to all the way right and repeat ( like adjusting a volume button)
    till the point you start to feel where the muscle is torn, don't push it, so stop when you feel the pain.

Last time my arm got popped i went easy on it for 2 months, i thought it was allright ,but it wasnt so the pain came back, It's been like a half year and i finally dont feel it anymore. So give it time to heal and dont let it become chronic.

If you want professional help ,regular doctors don't do/know nothing about this, find someone who had the same problem , or a sport oriented physiotherapist that has experience with popped arms/ martial artists.

5. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

Just don't fools. I personally have no Med Insurance, so tapping is my first line of defense from six month rehab.

6. The_Grinder

The_Grinder Yellow Belt

I was armbarred in a competition about a year ago, it went on quick, I fell the wrong way and made it worse on myself. The tendon in my elbow (between the two bones) was messed up for a good 4 months. I didn't roll for a month or more and tapped VERY quickly to any armbar or keylock/kimura attempts. I've had about 4 nagging injuries in 3 years that lingered for 4-8 months because I didn't take time off and lived with the pain. That choice is yours. Good luck.

7. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

You should not train without medical insurance.

8. Butler

Butler Orange Belt

How very topical.

I got armbarred at a tournament two months ago. He didn't go crazy, nor did I refuse to tap, but it got sprained quite badly. Crucially, nothing 'popped' for me like the OP described, which as far as I know implies ligaments have been damaged.

I've been training on it (generally lightly, but it has been tweaked a few times). I'm honestly not sure if training is a good idea or not, but I'd wager not. But I can't not train for 3-6 months :S

I'm currently splashing out

9. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Glucosamine + Collagen mix supplements. Might be pricey but by god it works well. Collagen is a protein and the supps are animal based, so if you have an issue with animal products then you know to avoid.

Most Collagen supps are Poultry or Bovine based, but some are Marine based so be careful if you have any seafood allergies.

In the UK I used this one [​IMG] but that's just a store bought one from Waitrose I think.

Do some research and shop around in your area to see what people are saying are the best ones.

10. MMAR15

MMAR15 Orange Belt

X-ray

11. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

No offense, but you're making a lot of assumptions here. I've had my elbows popped in training when there was no ego involved. Sometimes your partner can do something unexpected or just crank the sub. I was working a triangle escape one time and my partner cranked a triangle armbar when I was particularly vulnerable. My elbow popped like Orville Redenbachers before I could even yell in pain. I just wasn't expecting such a sudden movement. These things happen, and it's unfair to assume ego's involved every time.

12. tim18t

tim18t Blue Belt

Not at all. The arm was trapped but in no danger, it wasn't until I turned to stack and was blocked by the scorers table that my opponent rolled the opposite way and my arm was wreaped. It happened extremely fast. I'm not the kind of person who would intentionally get myself hurt.

13. radscorpion

radscorpion White Belt

Go see an orthopedic surgeon if you haven't already. You probably won't need surgery but they'll be able to evaluate what kind of damage you might have.

14. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

I guess if the doctors don't think you can do anything just ice it. I got armbarred pretty bad last Friday. I was defending and when my grip broke the guy fell back pretty hard and quickly. I only heard two pops but I guess that was enough because I couldn't even turn my steering wheel driving home. Now the most pain comes when trying to use that arm in a direction like you would for arm wrestling. I've been icing it ever since and I might go to practice today. Not fully healed but I can put pressure in every direction without huge pain. 15 days, that guy must have really extended your elbow!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  15. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Definitely go see an ortho! General practitioners are terrible for sports injuries.

It sounds like an elbow MCL (also called UCL, ulnar collateral ligament) sprain.

I dislocated my elbow and completely tore the UCL. I couldn't extend it or close the elbow all the way. It took 3 months before I could start training again, and I probably still came back too early.

Yours doesn't sound as bad, but definitely go get a second opinion from a qualified dr!

Good luck.

16. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

How's your elbow now bro? Was it really a complete tear and it healed without surgery?

17. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Yup. Took almost three months to come back to training, but i didn't do much rehab as I was studying for the bar while I was injured.

Took a while after that to stop occasionally getting sore, and I tapped immediately to Americanas arm bars for a while. But otherwise it's never limited me since.

18. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

Good to hear a positive outcome. I also have something ( I hope it's not the ulnar nerve) getting trapped and pinched in my elbow where the UCL is when I bend it. I hope it's not cubital tunnel syndrome.

19. mike sherry

mike sherry Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Damn, my elbow must have been really fucked up. Took over a year and a half to be able to extend it without pain. I should have gotten it checked out..

20. Was at Pride GP 2000

Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Obama care