Hyped for Carwin coming back

This is a great breakdown. Completely accurate and if TS reads it his hypes should be quickly dashed. Plus like you said, this guy was oft injured and an admitted PED user coming back under USADA.

I hope his "comeback" is jus him talking to himself. Because if this guy fights any UFC HW with a pulse he is gonna get Tyrannosaurus Rekt.

Assuming he doesn't rip his back open walking up the octagon stairs, that Nelson/Carwin fight might almost be competitive. Roy has been going for a goofy takedown oriented strategy lately, so who knows.

But in all likelihood, Carwin will probably gas so hard his body will stop producing sweat again. I mean, he got gassed in the JDS fight simply due to the fact that he got his ass whooped. Lol.

Assuming he doesn't rip his back open walking up the octagon stairs, that Nelson/Carwin fight might almost be competitive. Roy has been going for a goofy takedown oriented strategy lately, so who knows.

But in all likelihood, Carwin will probably gas so hard his body will stop producing sweat again. I mean, he got gassed in the JDS fight simply due to the fact that he got his ass whooped. Lol.
At least Roy is implementing SOME kind of strategy now lol, too bad he wasn't smart enough to do it close to his prime. I was stunned to see him going for like 10 takedowns against Black Beast. Shockingly though a BJJ black belt could do fuck all with Derek friggin Lewis of all people on the ground.

Yeah Carwin should save his dreams of a comeback for bedtime. He took a serious beating against Junior and I can't see things going better for him now given the circumstances. I'm afraid this guy might get hurt bad if he comes back.

Pros - hits very hard, takes a good shot.

Cons - 41, hasn't fought in 5 years, showed a bad gas tank, doesn't have a great skill set, has a bad back, USADA, was injured a ton like 10 years ago.

You don't need a skillset at HW. Carwin has brutal brutal power in short distances.

At least Roy is implementing SOME kind of strategy now lol, too bad he wasn't smart enough to do it close to his prime. I was stunned to see him going for like 10 takedowns against Black Beast. Shockingly though a BJJ black belt could do fuck all with Derek friggin Lewis of all people on the ground.

Yeah Carwin should save his dreams of a comeback for bedtime. He took a serious beating against Junior and I can't see things going better for him now given the circumstances. I'm afraid this guy might get hurt bad if he comes back.

Black Beast does have some underrated ground defense, he had a literal gorilla in Gonzaga on his back and managed to escape and win. As soon as I saw Gonzaga take him down I was like "lol welp GG I guess"

Black Beast does have some underrated ground defense, he had a literal gorilla in Gonzaga on his back and managed to escape and win. As soon as I saw Gonzaga take him down I was like "lol welp GG I guess"
Yeah that was crazy. He literally stood up with a 250+ pound monster on his back.

He gassed in 1 fight ever.

Cardio isn't going to be a strong suit but i dont think its the issue many make it out to be.

Should announce him fighting Mark Hunt a couple weeks before the fight date so they can delay his drug test results until after the fight.

Carwin's skillset is extremely limited. He relied a lot on people walking right into his 1-2 punch as well as people with defensive woes not being able to defend themselves accordingly. He pretty much only has a 1-2 punch in his arsenal. As soon as he fought someone like JDS who has decent defenses and actual technical ability on the feet, he got absolutely massacred.

His wrestling also never came to fruition in the octagon. He was stuffed by Neil Wain who is a nobody, and stuffed by Mir who statistically has some of the worst TDD in HW history. He also got taken down by Gonzaga. So you basically have a guy with slow, powerful hands that can't dictate where the fight takes place reliably, who relies on his toughness and one punch combination. He has also lost the standup portion of every single one of his fights outside of the Lesnar fight regardless if he ended up losing or winning. His striking defense is horrible. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Then you just couple all of this with the fact that he's 40+ years of age and has to fight under USADA, and holy shit. He's going to get crushed by anyone with any semblance of striking.

14b4aic1.jpg

For sure man; Mir made him look like a child on the feet.

14b4aic1.jpg

For sure man; Mir made him look like a child on the feet.

He actually did. Mir beat Carwin in the standup portion of the fight. Mir has always been horrible in the clinch though.

I loved watching his fights but think USADA era Carwin will struggle to be competitive.

I'd be very surprised if he comes back to the UFC at 265lb +

If he's genuinely rehabbed his injuries and in reasonable form, I think he'll be at least as competitive with the Top 15 as Hunt, who is a similar age.

Not as skilled a striker, sure, but faster, equally powerful (or near enough as makes no difference to the guy getting hit) and with much better wrestling.

Come to think of it, he's very much like Stipe: a classic wrestler-boxer. Somewhat older, striking not so crisp, but more powerful.

I give him a solid shot at just about everyone at heavyweight besides JDS, who is fast enough to keep him on the outside.

Stylistically, I think he'd have an easier time with Cain, who isn't an outside fighter.

Who do you fancy for his return bout?

but PEDs im not saying hes on them bu-

fuck it im saying hes probably on them since he was caught with them.

I just can't see this comeback going well and I've always been a big Carwin fan. Hasn't fought in five years? Over 40 years old? Trashed back from a football career? USADA?

There's a lot of things going against him. I'll be rooting for him though.

Carwin's skillset is extremely limited. He relied a lot on people walking right into his 1-2 punch as well as people with defensive woes not being able to defend themselves accordingly.

He was also quite good at bullying his way inside, where his brutal power shone.

I won't dispute that he has a limited skill set – but you don't need a sophisticated skill set to succeed at heavyweight.

Browne, Barnett, Bigfoot – there are a lot of outlier heavyweights Carwin wouldn't necessarily be the underdog against.

He pretty much only has a 1-2 punch in his arsenal. As soon as he fought someone like JDS who has decent defenses and actual technical ability on the feet, he got absolutely massacred.

More or less true, and the JDS bout was a massacre – but who else could do what JDS that night outside the Top 5?

The best technicians in th division besides the champ are probably Overeem and Arlovski, yet both have been forced to shell up against the cage by lesser strikers.

Now, I would favour Reem over Carwin, sure, but I could see him breaking that shell if the moment came, and I do see him eventually corralling Arlovski and putting him away.

(The always-overlooked Werdum might be able to Travis Browne him if he doesn't fight silly, though.)

His wrestling also never came to fruition in the octagon. He was stuffed by Neil Wain who is a nobody, and stuffed by Mir who statistically has some of the worst TDD in HW history. He also got taken down by Gonzaga.

His wrestling was largely defensive, and largely successful in nullifying his opponents' grappling. Did the job.

So you basically have a guy with slow, powerful hands that can't dictate where the fight takes place reliably, who relies on his toughness and one punch combination. He has also lost the standup portion of every single one of his fights outside of the Lesnar fight regardless if he ended up losing or winning.

Can you say this, really? If you're losing the lighter exchanges but still end up knocking your opponent cold in under four minutes almost every time, in what sense have you "lost the standup"?

Then you just couple all of this with the fact that he's 40+ years of age and has to fight under USADA

Not ideal, but the average age the division is 36 and power, Carwin's main tool, is the last thing to go.

USADA regime probably sees him shrink a bit, yes – but everyone's in the same boat, and Carwin is a naturally big man.

SXaK0Vc.jpg

Dem hands, do

This means that, while he may be diminished, it might not matter much if everyone else is diminished, too.

All in all I don't think he'll light the division on fire, but he'll be a welcome addition to the lower half of the Top 10. We need heavyweights of that calibre to match-up with new contenders and guys dropping out of title contention.

A good test for anyone, and if he strung three wins together (conceivable) he might just end up getting a shot.

Last edited:
Heavyweight can ALWAYS use more talent. Would love to see him back if hes in good form

Let's also hope Carwin comes back at his true height of 6'5

He was also quite good at bullying his way inside, where his brutal power shone.

I won't dispute that he has a limited skill set – but you don't need a sophisticated skill set to succeed at heavyweight.

Browne, Barnett, Bigfoot – there are a lot of outlier heavyweights Carwin wouldn't necessarily be the underdog against.

I most certainly have him as an underdog against Browne and Barnett. Bigfoot shouldn't even be sanctioned to fight anymore so he'd probably be the favorite in that one. Doesn't really say much though.

Also, when your claim to fame is simply "power" in a division where the most average guy has one punch KO power, it just accentuates how limited he is and how tiny his potential is. Travis Browne is tough and has huge stopping power as well. If Browne is allowed to land a clean 1-2 on you, you're gonna go down. And he's looked terrible recently despite this.

More or less true, and the JDS bout was a massacre – but who else could do what JDS that night outside the Top 5?

The best technicians in th division besides the champ are probably Overeem and Arlovski, yet both have been forced to shell up against the cage by lesser strikers.

Overeem and Arlovski have defense issues, true, but their standup is so far and away better than Carwin's that I doubt it would make a difference. Speed wise they are in another stratosphere.

Again, you much like everyone building up Carwin is saying things like "he could win if he landed." Yeah, so can Anthony Hamilton. If you let him hit you you will probably lose. He just doesn't have the capabilities to do so in an even remotely consistent manner. Carwin in his prime and likely juiced out of his mind (he admitted to using PEDs at some pointi n his life) resume consists of a win over 2 people nobody heard of again, and 2 of the most inconsistent HWs in UFC history.

His wrestling was largely defensive, and largely successful in nullifying his opponents' grappling. Did the job.

Offensively it was terrible. Defensively it was OK, he stuffed Lesnar (even though it was a badly timed panic takedown.)

But why would anyone even care about trying to take him down when you can outstrike him?

Can you say this, really? If you're losing the lighter exchanges but still end up knocking your opponent cold in under four minutes almost every time, in what sense have you "lost the standup"?

Yes, you can. Especially when you consider he was losing the standup portion of every fight to fat brawlers like Neil Wain, journeymen like Christian Wellisch, BJJ blackbelt Gonzaga and BJJ blackbelt Frank Mir. Now imagine what legitimate strikers would do to him.

Not ideal, but the average age the division is 36 and power, Carwin's main tool, is the last thing to go.

Every HW has power.

USADA regime probably sees him shrink a bit, yes – but everyone's in the same boat, and Carwin is a naturally big man.

He already shrunk well before USADA came along. When he got linked to a doctor that sold steroids to athletes he coincidentally lost 20-25 pounds when he fought JDS.

All in all I don't think he'll light the division on fire, but he'll be a welcome addition to the lower half of the Top 10. Wevneed heavyweights of that calibre to match-up with new contenders and guys dropping out of title contention.

He's fun in a cartoon-y kind of way, sure. He's not really much of a threat though.

After watching that video I just realized how little footage of Carwin there is on the internet. I wonder how many inches he put on.

Good, what the HW division needs is more older guys with one-shot KO power. The PED past is merely the icing on the cake.

Back