Hygiene essentials for the dedicated grappler?

Mala

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you have any favorites when it comes to hygiene products (specifically those to combat RW/Staph, etc).

I've heard of Defense and their line, but there is also Athletic Bodycare and Manumission.

I'm pretty set on ordering 3 or 4 bottles of the Defense Shower Gel, but if anyone can give me any suggestions, tidbits, etc, please, it would be much appreciated.

I never used anything but Old Spice Head and Body wash.. (greatest invention ever for guys with short hair.. never need shampoo again)

always wash your gi after and your clothes
if I go more than 1 practice, I change at least rash guard

I think a lot of people have a problem not washing their gear afterwards

Any major differences between the bar and the gel (besides the obvious)

I share a bathroom with a roommate, the gel would definitely be the way I would be leaning just for convenience

Any major differences between the bar and the gel (besides the obvious)

I share a bathroom with a roommate, the gel would definitely be the way I would be leaning just for convenience

Not that I can really see visibly. I'll review the shower gel tomorrow for you.

I buy the large bottle of antibacterial hand soap gel at walmart, its huge. 5 bucks, then I but the little glass pot of tea tree oil, 8 bucks. I mix in some tea tree oil with the soap in a old shower gel bottle. That's what I do.

Every time I read about the use of antibacterial soaps in relation to staph etc. the conclusion is that they're no better than ordinary soap.

There is a tremendous difference in soaps and how they affect your normal skin flora. As a Wrestler, fighter or grappler your flora requires special attention. Rather than try to convince our customers with a lot of words and sales pitches we would rather just send them a free sample. We put our money where our mouth is.
For a free sample send me an email with your full name and ship to address to [email protected]. Please mention SHERDOG in your email so that I can move you to the top of the sample list. I am a little behind in samples but hope to be caught up by the end of the week.
Try contacting our competitors for free samples and do your own comparison.

Guy
Defense Soap

There is a tremendous difference in soaps and how they affect your normal skin flora. As a Wrestler, fighter or grappler your flora requires special attention. Rather than try to convince our customers with a lot of words and sales pitches we would rather just send them a free sample. We put our money where our mouth is.
For a free sample send me an email with your full name and ship to address to [email protected]. Please mention SHERDOG in your email so that I can move you to the top of the sample list. I am a little behind in samples but hope to be caught up by the end of the week.
Try contacting our competitors for free samples and do your own comparison.

Guy
Defense Soap

I would like to point out I made an attempt to write a review that compared Defense Soap with Athletic Body Care, however the athletic body care company was not interested in me doing the comparison (so they didn't send me a sample while Defense Soap did). In my opinion, this speaks volumes about their product.

In my experience the best thing you can do is shower as soon as possible after you train. For me, this is at the gym. Second best is to wash your clothes and gi every time after you train. Doing these things has totally eliminated staph and ring worm for the last three years for me. (The first six months or so I probably got ring worm twice and staph once, but I would go home first before showering or sometimes not wash my gi.)

I recently switched to Defense. I wish it came in larger bottles.

This seems like a no brainer, take a shower and wash your gi after practice....

Simco,

A lot of our customers buy our gallon then refill their 8 oz bottles. The gallon is by far the best deal. It comes out to like $4.37 per 8 ounces as opposed to $6.99. The bottle the label and the filling are what drives the price up.

Guy
Defense Soap

Prevention
  • shower immediately after class (have a shower in our gym)
  • I use pretty standard Safeguard antibacterial body wash and clean my whole body with it and make a point to thoroughly clean all around my head, neck, ears, face, hands and legs up to the knee. This is because I'm rolling in the gi, but I will be very conscious of a full-body clean after no-gi for obvious reasons. I will normally shower again first thing in the morning before work and focus on the same regions. For the record, dandruff shampoo is also an anti-fungal, but tea tree soap is great and I'm sure Defense soap and the others are solid products.
  • wash my gi, rashguard, underarmor shit after every class (belt after almost every class). If I'm using headgear, I will wash it too
  • I will not roll with people with suspicious skin anymore. I have had times where I've asked someone "is that ringworm" and people (honestly/not) just said "nah, just dry skin".... I just don't take the chance anymore. Some people would say the same about rolling with the guy who didn't wash their gi. I don't always make this stand, but it sucks for smell and hygiene.
  • make sure your gym cleans their mats and bitch if they don't properly disinfect them. You are paying for these classes and should reasonably expect clean mats.

Treatment

If you do (God forbid) get something on your skin, go see a fucking dermatologist and get it evaluated. If it's ringworm, I like the bleach and ultra strength Lotrimin, but there are stronger medications out there that aren't OTC. I normally try the bleach and ultra strength Lotrimin routine and stay out of class (attend but don't roll or let the infection contact the mats -- if I can't step on them because I've got athlete's foot... so be it). If it doesn't go away, doctor. However, DO NOT FUCK AROUND WITH STAPH. If you have something that looks like Staph and weeps it will spread like crazy and that's not even discussing MRSA. That shit will literally kill you and giving it to your teammates because of your own negligence is up there with holding submissions after a tap (or worse depending on the consequences) and we all know how much of a d-bag move that is.

[takes deep breath and relaxes]

Last edited:
Cut your finger and toes nails
Brush your teeth before class
Come to class clean
Wash your Gi and belt after each use
Shower ASAP after class
Don't roll with someone with suspicious skin
Clean the mats at the gym after each class
If you have any cuts, scrapes, etc make sure they are covered.

At my school all the showers have Defense soap so I just use that. But before that I just regular shampoo and soap and I never caught anything. Just gotta get into the habit of washing everything and take care of open wounds.

At my school all the showers have Defense soap so I just use that. But before that I just regular shampoo and soap and I never caught anything. Just gotta get into the habit of washing everything and take care of open wounds.

...he's talking to you, ladies

Defense Soap Guy, I demand to know which UK outlets stock your stuff.

Back