Hyabusa or Rival MMA Sparring gloves???

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by PistolPeteMMA, Aug 28, 2010.

1. PistolPeteMMA

PistolPeteMMA Yellow Belt

I can't decide which gloves to buy. I'm a huge fan of both companies and currently use the Rival boxing and MMA gloves, but have a Hyabusa headgear and shin pads. I like the idea that the Rival gloves have some thumb protection but the Hyabusa gear is just so top notch.

Anyone have any pros or cons of either and which do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

i would just recommend getting the fight gloves rather than the sparring version... that is all the guys in my area use for sparing and practicing anyway. When we get into heavy sparing we just use boxing gloves anyway.

3. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

Well, I really enjoy the MMA Sparring glove style, bc I can go hard standing and on the ground. Full 16oz gloves are just too bulky when rolling/MMA. It's so easy for your partner to control you via the glove.

I've used a few different styles, but from what I hear the Haya's are your best bet.

4. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

I can't be sure, but I seem to recall Rashad Evans using the Rivals (or something with a similar design/colour scheme) during the countdown footage for the Rampage fight.

5. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

As for the difference in companies, both are top notch. I have the Haya Fight MMA gloves and they are awesome! but I also have Rival boxing gloves and they are top notch, but I got those before anyone even heard of Haya so they are probly even better now. Both MMA sparring gloves are very similar in design (just checked) but I would go with the rival because if you order direct they are on sale right now for $30 off.

6. risingD

risingD Guest

I got the rival mma sparring gloves. they are pretty good I would get a pair

7. grips

grips White Belt

Anyone own both of these that can share padding thickness difference?
    If not....can the ones that have either let us know how thick the padding is...1", 1.5", etc
    Tha hayabusa seems thicker in padding, but it could just be picture illusion. let us know.

RisingD...how you like the inside of the Rival? Seems they use a suede like material on the inside. Does hayabusa do the same or is it something different on the inside?

8. PistolPeteMMA

PistolPeteMMA Yellow Belt

One of my training partners uses the Rival sparring gloves and he loves them. However, I was at the UFC Fan Expo yesterday looking at the Hyabusa gloves and they looked and felt top notch. I'm sure I can't go wrong with either but would like some advice about pros and cons of each. I'm assuming that because they are both top notch companies that I can't go wrong with either.

9. risingD

risingD Guest

here are some pictures:

inside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. grips

grips White Belt

Tks for the pics risingD.
    Strange that the Rival website shows them with a light grey'ish inside whihc looked like suede type material to me.
    Plus they stated the following in the specs...
    "Tough engineered microfibre material cover for remarkable durability."
    I figured they were refering to the inside, but now I dont know whihc part is the "microfibre".
    Looking to be an old spec perhaps.

risingD...how you find the inside material? Is it durable and comfortable?
    Also they state opver 1.5" padding...would you say it is only 1.5" or is it more?
    Could you take a quick measure perhaps?

11. risingD

risingD Guest

the inside is very comfortable and seems very durable (I ve been training with them for 4 months now and they still look "brand new")

I dont have 1.5 at all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but I have to admit they are very big when wearing them

12. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

13. risingD

risingD Guest

GSP uses them. since rival boxing is a canadian manufacturer

14. grips

grips White Belt

I saw they looked brand new to me too...4months and they seriously show zero wear.

I am concerned about the thin padding. Looks like 1"-1.25" based on the pics. Cant be sure though due to camera angle.
    Seems a bit thin for sparring gloves wont you say? Protecting your sparring partner.
    Wonder how the Hayabusa' will compare in physical padding thickness....anyone?

15. risingD

risingD Guest

If you want I will take comparison photos with a better camera tomorrow. (compared to cell phones, mma fight gloves etc.)
    but in my opinion the gloves are pretty well padded.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  16. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

17. GFG

GFG Green Belt

i know for a fact that the fairtex training gloves are 1.5" over the knuckles, as that was the last batch i dissected before making our Kong mma training gloves.

I would have to say the hayabusa's offer a bit less padding then the fairtex mma training gloves but i never bothered buying them to rip apart so i don't know for sure. However i can tell you that at my customers store when i was playing with the hayabusa's you caould feel your knuckles threw the padding when you punched your hand and this was something i didn't noticed with the fairtex mma training gloves.

Never checked out the rivals so i can't comment on them. but i am curious how does the double finger loop on the rivals feel? compared to individual finger loops.

18. risingD

risingD Guest

it's a little bit weird but once you get used to it you will like it!

19. grips

grips White Belt

GFG...just checked out your Kongs'.
    2.25" for real? Wow...that is a ton.
    How did the Fairtex ones compare in thickness when you ripped them open during R&D?

20. GFG

GFG Green Belt

actually we attempted to go to 2.5inches thick but our manufacturer cut alittle corner with the foam without telling us so we ended up with 2.25"