HWs throughout history with elite P4P skills?

I approve of this thread. I had a conversation about this very thing the other day w my brother.

“ Big Daddy” probably could have hung a the highest levels. He wasn’t super consistent but when he was on he was a pretty to watch, counter pulls , angles galore and fluid combos. He also had Eddie in his corner.

Being smaller may have have better for long term health too.

Larry could be the best of all?

Oh, he’s in the conversation right along with Joe Louis, Ali, and Marciano. And when you really look at his resume it’s ducking fantastic.

I think he went 48-0 and then lost two decisions to Michael Spinks which were smoke and mirrors performance from the jinx. The second fight especially was a scandalous decision.

And besides that the only fight Holmes lost in a clear cut fashion, imo, was the Tyson fight. Holmes was so good that he was going toe-to-toe against guys like Mercer and Holyfield at over 40 years old. His resume is as impeccable as their is in the history of the division.

But he gets short shifted because Ali fanboys don’t want to give him his just due... i suppose because giving Holmes his just due would be indirectly giving Tyson credit for being the only man to whoop Holmes ass and stop him.

Cause if you haven’t heard, Holmes was a washed up version of his former self when Tyson knocked him out despite the fact that Holmes beat Ray Mercer and went 12 rounds with Holyfield 4-5 years later.

Only if Byrd was 20 or 30 lbs heavier, we would have had a long reigning slick as hell hw champion.

Henry Cooper hated how big heavyweights were getting because it discouraged a certain style of fighting. Cooper fought in the 180s but could a 190-200 lb fight who pushed the tempo like 100 punches a round find success at heavyweight? Marciano won fights largely on his conditioning than anything else. He averaged like 80-85 punches a round and sometimes went over 100. I think there are a lot of guys who would just wilt from fatigue over that kind of a barrage.

Lennox Lewis (with Manny Steward) had all the skills of a top p4p fighter, could box outside/inside, had the roughhouse tactics and could brawl if needed

Back