HW OFFICIAL Actor Battle 3

TheGumby

Claymation Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ok guys, DDL barely and I mean BARELY made it past Pacino... He is on a 2 fight winning streak and his next opponent is a tough one...

Daniel Day Lewis

936full-daniel-day-lewis.jpg

STD-vs-STI.png

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Phillip-Seymour-Hoffman.jpg

Lewis Top 5 Performances

My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown

In 1989 Day-Lewis’ not-so-hidden flair was finally acknowledged by industry insiders. He won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his work playing cerebral palsy sufferer, Christy Brown in My Left Foot. Based on Brown’s autobiography, the film tells the story of how the Irish author, painter and poet could only control his left foot. Day-Lewis took his method acting to another level, by reportedly breaking two ribs so he could give a credible performance as Christy.

The Crucible

Day-Lewis teamed up with Winona Ryder once again to play John Proctor in the 1996 adaptation of Arthur Miller’s play, The Crucible. Day-Lewis’ reputation as a method actor reached new heights when filming began on this picture, with the actor reportedly insisting he build the house his character lived in. He is also said to have avoided bathing until filming wrapped, to stay true to his character’s dirty form. The film focuses on the Salem Massachusetts witch trials of 1692, where several women were executed for dabbling in black magic.

The Boxer

Day-Lewis pulled all the punches to give a realistic performance as boxer Danny Flynn, in The Boxer, training for three years solid in preparation. A Jim Sheridan film, the storyline centres on Flynn as he attempts to regain his life in the ring, after being imprisoned for fourteen years for his involvement with the IRA. Day-Lewis was nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, at the Golden Globes, but lost out to Peter Fonda for Ulee's Gold.

Gangs of New York

As the blood thirsty Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting, Day-Lewis won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Complete with moustache and top hat, Day-Lewis commanded the set in a film packed to the rafters with esteemed actors. Day-Lewis wasn’t initially in the original line up to play The Butcher, with John Belushi formerly cast in the role. However, when Belushi tragically died, there was a re-shuffle with Willem Dafoe pulled in as the replacement. But director Martin Scorsese continued to change his cast, eventually landing on Day-Lewis to play the part.

There Will Be Blood

Day-Lewis’ took home the trophy for his performance as oil miner, Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood, winning his second Oscar for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. A fan of director Paul Thomas Anderson’s work on Punch Drunk Love, Day-Lewis immediately signed up to play the money hungry, and emotionally inept Plainview in a story about wealth, greed and family ties. Producer JoAnne Sellar told reporters after filming, that the picture wouldn’t have been given the go ahead if Day-Lewis hadn’t agreed to take part.

Top 5 Hoffman Performances

Before The Devil Know You Dead

Hoffman's performance in this film is stunning. He is quite simply one of the most chilling, yet believable villains I have seen for a very long time.
He is cowardly, callous, and his gradual descent into a cold calculated killer is a fascinating transformation.
Hoffman perfectly captures this repressed character, wishing for a new life yet too cowardly to abandon his present luxuries. Instead he contents himself with escapism.
When he does finally attempt to change his life, it is in a cold hearted and selfish fashion with little though for those around him. Naturally this back fires causing all his repressed emotions to erupt in a murderous frenzy.
Despite the highly unpleasant nature of the character, Hoffman will keep you transfixed to the screen. This is possibly his best performance out of these five, although the next entry is a strong contender for that spot as well.

Synecdoche, New York

In this film Hoffman portrays a large chunk of the characters life, from maybe late 30's to his death. And the change he goes through is amazing to watch. I'm sure a lot of the credit goes to the make up department, but one must not underestimate how difficult it would be to convincingly play a character that ages over time. De Niro did it well in Once Upon a Time In America, and Hoffman does it equally well here in this film.
The real quality in this ageing performance is it's subtlety, it ages so perfectly that often you will barely notice and you quickly become used to seeing the character age by many years right in front of your eyes. In other words, it avoids being to obvious and jarring.
The character Hoffman portrays is a very complex one, emotionally he is seriously messed up. Physically he has many nervous ticks and disorders throughout the film which seem to come naturally to Hoffman. I was totally convinced by his portrayal of a struggling playwright, whose life is falling apart around him while he works on a play based on his life and the fact that it's falling apart around him.
Very good film, made even better by Hoffman's performance and some great supporting actors.

Magnolia

In such a large cast of actors, including Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore, John C Reilly (who is terrific), Jason Robards, Willian H Macy and many more. It might be surprising that I noticed Hoffman's performance in particular, sure the others were all excellent, but this is the film that made me realise how great an actor Hoffman was, having only seen him in Mission Impossible 3 previously.
Here he has a limited amount on screen time yet makes the best of it. His character is probably the most likeable in the entire film, he has few problems of his own and is a compassionate individual. He serves rather to bear witness to the emotional turmoil of the characters he is in contact with and help them through it. Not the most flamboyant performance of the film, that would probably be Tom Cruise's, but the character serves as a kind of moral grounding point amongst all the messed up characters. And Hoffman's does is excellently.

Capote

In this film Hoffman is completely unrecognisable, his voice and all his mannerisms have changed beyond recognition and he gives a true "method acting" performance.
I will admit that I knew little of the real Truman Capote before seeing this film, but from now on I will always associate Hoffman's performance with the real life figure. That's surely the sign of a great performance. And even if I don't think this was his best performance, it was the one he won the most awards for which in turn caused him to star him the other later films mentioned on this list. The film as a whole I found to be pretty average, but Hoffman succeeded in holding my interest throughout which a lesser actor would not have done. He really makes the best of a pretty uninspiring script.

Doubt

This film is a very ambiguous one by nature, and much of this ambiguity comes from Hoffman's character. The film revolves around him and what he may or may not have done.
The audience must always been uncertain as to whether he is guilty or not, and Hoffman manages to create a very complex character that you'll believe one minute and doubt the other.
The character is neither a hero nor a villain, and Hoffman's ability to juggle with the audiences sympathies was quite astounding.
An interesting film made far better by the talented cast that includes as well as Hoffman, Meyl Streep in perhaps her best performance I've seen so far, and Amy Adams who surprised me with here good performance.

Judgement is based on the following factors...

The IT factor - Relative to the actor just carrying around a presence that automaticly enhances the film.

Difficulty of roles - Which actor has acted the more difficult rolls.

Looks - As shallow as this sounds the actors appearance does affect the type of rolls one can take on.

Longevity - How long the actor will be around and how long the actor has already been around.

Films they have been in - Look at which films they have produced and which ones hit home as your favorites.

Last edited:
im working on getting poll here asap guys

Tough one but I'm sticking with DDL. My favorie PSH performance was in Boogie Nights.

Im hoping DDL gets dethroned lol hes fucking tough

I feel PSH should win this... but both are 10/10 so whatever.

Im hoping DDL gets dethroned lol hes fucking tough
Are you saving Oldman in your backpocket? Now there's a Sherdog conflict. DDL's only bigger competition for the most Sher-hangers-on are THE WIRE and Rory MacDonald's nutsack.

close one, the descriptions for Seymore-Hoffman have convinced me.

he won't make it past Arnold though.

Are you saving Oldman in your backpocket? Now there's a Sherdog conflict. DDL's only bigger competition for the most Sher-hangers-on are THE WIRE and Rory MacDonald's nutsack.

Yea I dont want to bust him out too early, I want it to be a shocker and give some of these other great performers their chance

Thank you Bulitt for the poll your the shit

No problem. I think DDL crushes Hoffman, and personally, I'm less curious about a DDL/Oldman showdown than I am about a DDL/De Niro showdown. The DDL love on Sherdog knows no bounds, but would it really hold up against De Niro?

No problem. I think DDL crushes Hoffman, and personally, I'm less curious about a DDL/Oldman showdown than I am about a DDL/De Niro showdown. The DDL love on Sherdog knows no bounds, but would it really hold up against De Niro?

Im trying to be a little unique with my choices... I was thinking about maybe John Goodman but he is mainly just the best supporting actor ever... I also wish Christoph Waltz had a few more titular roles I could choose from.

The IT factor - Relative to the actor just carrying around a presence that automaticly enhances the film.

DDL

Difficulty of roles - Which actor has acted the more difficult rolls.

Tie

Looks - As shallow as this sounds the actors appearance does affect the type of rolls one can take on.

DDL

Longevity - How long the actor will be around and how long the actor has already been around.

Tie

Films they have been in - Look at which films they have produced and which ones hit home as your favorites.

PSH (Just)

DDL edges it for me.

PSH almost nicked it due to his comic ability. He was so good in Along Came Polly- Sandy Lyle is one of my favourite comic characters ever. Can you imagine DDL doing a comic role?

Realistically De Niro is the only guy who's going to challenge DDL.

There are many who could challenge him- e.g. Albert Finney, Peter O'Toole, Gary Cooper, Alec Guiness- but they are too contemporary.

Bill Murrary?

Went with DDL, but PSH absolutely crushes 99% of the actors today. I fuckin LOVE PSH. Incredible actor

But TS, ya dun fucked up. Left out 25th Hour on the list, it deserves to be there fa sho. Great movie and he is stunningly perfect in it (that's right mothafucka, stunningly perfect)

PSH could never pull off Bill the Butcher or Plainview. He is just fat and geeky looking.

PSH could never pull off Bill the Butcher or Plainview. He is just fat and geeky looking.

PSH could totally do Plainview. His unassuming looks would work in that the character was trying to sell himself as a "family man".

PSH could totally do Plainview. His unassuming looks would work in that the character was trying to sell himself as a "family man".

That is a tiny aspect of Plainview's character. And it was massively complimented by HW. PSH would never be as intimidating/ruthless and charismatic as DDL, and those were Plainview's main characteristics.

Back