Hurting Ribs

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by rfrankb4, Nov 16, 2005.

1. rfrankb4

rfrankb4 Blue Belt

three weeks ago i went to jump into side control but let go of the guys leg too sone and he posted it up while i was pasing his guard. With his foot planted on the ground i came down hard with the side of my rib cage on his knee. (I usualy stop myslef with my hand on the far side of my oponents body i dont actualy drop all my weight on them full speed I am not that mean : P)

Anyhow for the first few days I could not even lay i bed on that side. since then they normaly dont bother me but when I do any exercise that works the muscles around that area like SL DL it hurts like hell for a few hours if touched.

It hasnt bothered me too much rolling since the past 2 weeks i have been preparing for exams and only rolled 2x. but when i do start back this is going to be a major problem agaisnt larger opponents in side control.

How long should this take to get better? there was no visable bruise when it first happened.

as long as i dont let anyone get side control on that side or sneaze it will not bother me but it is getting anoying.

2. El Tiburon

El Tiburon 1959 The year we picked our poison

Ribs are a problem that wont go away. They have to heal on thier own. There is no therapy, no surgery, no treatment that will help you. Just stick with the anti-inflamatories and avoid contact. I broke a rib almost a month ago. A timy little fracture right under my pec muscle. At first it hurt everytime I breathed, sneezing was like I was getting stabbed and I could not find a comfortable position to sleep. I took 2 weeks off and the pain became way more manageable. I am still not 100% and it only hurts when I get really winded and am breathing hard now.

When I get mounted (full or side) I immediately give my back. I would rather deal with the attempted choke than getting my energy drained by heavy pressure on a bad rib.

3. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

That sucks; I know how you feel. I bruised my ribs in wrestling season a few years ago. You may not get visible buise marks, but sleeping will be painful. It hurts like heck, but I had to just gotta suck it up. My first suggestion is to see a doctor and make sure nothing is seriously hurt, and get his opinion.

My next suggestion is to take it easy and ice the affected area 20 minutes/hour for as much as practical. I recommend that use a towel to keep your skin from getting over-iced and to keep drier. It could take about 4-8 weeks to heal, but YRMV given differences in your specific injury and natural healing rate.

Finally, IMHO bruised ribs were annoying in wrestling practice but livable. I still wrestled every day and only took it easy with some exercises. However, I still rolled as much as I could without serious injury. You should still go to your doctor and get his opinion, however. Good luck treating your injury!

4. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Of course I only bruised my ribs. Breaking them is a different matter! I hope you get better soon too!