Hurting Ribs

rfrankb4

Blue Belt
Reaction score
three weeks ago i went to jump into side control but let go of the guys leg too sone and he posted it up while i was pasing his guard. With his foot planted on the ground i came down hard with the side of my rib cage on his knee. (I usualy stop myslef with my hand on the far side of my oponents body i dont actualy drop all my weight on them full speed I am not that mean : P)

Anyhow for the first few days I could not even lay i bed on that side. since then they normaly dont bother me but when I do any exercise that works the muscles around that area like SL DL it hurts like hell for a few hours if touched.

It hasnt bothered me too much rolling since the past 2 weeks i have been preparing for exams and only rolled 2x. but when i do start back this is going to be a major problem agaisnt larger opponents in side control.

How long should this take to get better? there was no visable bruise when it first happened.

as long as i dont let anyone get side control on that side or sneaze it will not bother me but it is getting anoying.

Ribs are a problem that wont go away. They have to heal on thier own. There is no therapy, no surgery, no treatment that will help you. Just stick with the anti-inflamatories and avoid contact. I broke a rib almost a month ago. A timy little fracture right under my pec muscle. At first it hurt everytime I breathed, sneezing was like I was getting stabbed and I could not find a comfortable position to sleep. I took 2 weeks off and the pain became way more manageable. I am still not 100% and it only hurts when I get really winded and am breathing hard now.

When I get mounted (full or side) I immediately give my back. I would rather deal with the attempted choke than getting my energy drained by heavy pressure on a bad rib.

That sucks; I know how you feel. I bruised my ribs in wrestling season a few years ago. You may not get visible buise marks, but sleeping will be painful. It hurts like heck, but I had to just gotta suck it up. My first suggestion is to see a doctor and make sure nothing is seriously hurt, and get his opinion.

My next suggestion is to take it easy and ice the affected area 20 minutes/hour for as much as practical. I recommend that use a towel to keep your skin from getting over-iced and to keep drier. It could take about 4-8 weeks to heal, but YRMV given differences in your specific injury and natural healing rate.

Finally, IMHO bruised ribs were annoying in wrestling practice but livable. I still wrestled every day and only took it easy with some exercises. However, I still rolled as much as I could without serious injury. You should still go to your doctor and get his opinion, however. Good luck treating your injury!

El Tiburon said:
Ribs are a problem that wont go away. They have to heal on thier own. There is no therapy, no surgery, no treatment that will help you. Just stick with the anti-inflamatories and avoid contact. I broke a rib almost a month ago. A timy little fracture right under my pec muscle. At first it hurt everytime I breathed, sneezing was like I was getting stabbed and I could not find a comfortable position to sleep. I took 2 weeks off and the pain became way more manageable. I am still not 100% and it only hurts when I get really winded and am breathing hard now.

When I get mounted (full or side) I immediately give my back. I would rather deal with the attempted choke than getting my energy drained by heavy pressure on a bad rib.
Of course I only bruised my ribs. Breaking them is a different matter! I hope you get better soon too!

Back