Hurt lower back... 6 days before Muay thai fight.

Madevilz

White Belt
Reaction score
I have the worst luck. This fight prep has been hell, first I got a perforated eardrum while sparring, than I hurt my ankle, and now 6 days before my fight, I hurt my lower back while lifting some dumbbells. Was about to do some weighted box jumps, and then as a newb I picked up the dumbbells using only my back, and then bam, I felt something. Didnt hear anything pop, but felt the pain immediately, so I just dropped the DB.

I dont think it's super serious, but I cant train today, I feel my back just by standing. Been taking 600mg of Ibuprofen every 4-5 hours. Iced it this morning after the injury. How often should I ice? Anything else I can do to speed up the recovery? I absolutely have to get back to training tomorrow...

Go to a sports physio or chiro as soon as possible. Chances are they can do something to minimize the damage. There is a chance they'll tell you not to fight so you might not want to tell them you're fighting in less than a week.

IDK about you, but back pains from lifting weights (with bad form) happened to me quite often and it usually disappated by itself in about 2-3 days.

At the same time, I agree with what wvpv said. Go to the doctor and make sure it isn't anything serious and, chances are, it'll only take 2-3 days to go away. Since the fight is 6 days away, you should be okay.

There's no magic secret. Your body is already telling you what to do.

Just take it easy, sleep on a bed with good back support, get massages to keep the muscles loose, and don't work out until you don't feel the crippling pain (the kind that freezes your back muscles mid motion.)

I've always been out of shape and have had ongoing back problems, and stuff like this usually passes with a few days but if you're stupid and try to use those muscles while its still hurting, then you'll just extend the pain and it could be debilitating come fight time.

The real question is: do you risk fighting a little under prepared or not fighting at all/injured?

I have the worst luck. This fight prep has been hell, first I got a perforated eardrum while sparring, than I hurt my ankle, and now 6 days before my fight, I hurt my lower back while lifting some dumbbells. Was about to do some weighted box jumps, and then as a newb I picked up the dumbbells using only my back, and then bam, I felt something. Didnt hear anything pop, but felt the pain immediately, so I just dropped the DB.

I dont think it's super serious, but I cant train today, I feel my back just by standing. Been taking 600mg of Ibuprofen every 4-5 hours. Iced it this morning after the injury. How often should I ice? Anything else I can do to speed up the recovery? I absolutely have to get back to training tomorrow...

Damn, try some hot baths also.

For the future, don't do such serious training within a week of a fight. Just hit pads to sharpen yourself up that bit more, weighted box-jumps are ridiculous so close to a fight.

If I was you I would just do alot of hot and cold on the area and rest, that should get rid of any pain. Besides, you won't feel it much in the fight because your adrenalin will be pumping, if you barely feel getting kicked a back problem shouldn't be too painful :D. Do you have much weight left to cut?

Good luck!!!

Yes, I realise how stupid I was. I lost my first fight, so I really wanted to give it all for this one. Now I put myself in a bad situation 5 days out. The ibuprofen has helped a lot, I even think ill be able to come back to training tomorrow. Was able to do some stationary bike today.

No weight cut to do though, I fight at 175, and I wake up at around that weight. At least thats one less thing to worry about.

go see a doctor. chances are they just need to pop some muscle back into place and it will be over in a day or 2

Back