Hurt by Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails...

Cash may have the better vocals (stronger delivery compared to say, a whisper which comes across as slightly emo-averse these days)

But if you think NIN doesn't have the better musical accompaniment to that song you are out of your f*cking mind

and I don't even like NIN

Cash me outside

il_570xN.1138392482_1jlq.jpg

How bout dat

Nine Inch Nails.

i would consider them tied, and in my book, tie goes to the originator.

I was at the NIN set at Glastonbury 2000 where Johnny Cash heard the song for the first time.

I think it's great that a guy from such a different era and musical background could relate so strongly to a song like that and make his own version. The original is far superior though.

Both are amazing, but the Johnny Cash version makes you feel like an old warrior while the NIN version makes you want to cry and slit your wrists in the tub

Both are amazing, but the Johnny Cash version makes you feel like an old warrior while the NIN version makes you want to cry and slit your wrists in the tub
and this is exactly correct.

NIN imo cuz the emotion in their version. Cash sounds like he’s just reading the lyrics off a piece of paper.

Both good but NIN is best

Which was better in your opinion and why?

The original is by NIN which was later covered by Johnny Cash.

They're both brilliant imo. Unique in their own ways. The lyrics are my favourite part, very deep and well written.

Cash's version is him being near the end of his life and having looking back at it all. It's sadder as it reflects on his whole life and some feeling of regrets when he's about to pass.

NIN's is about a younger person at his lowest battling his inner demons of addiction, depression, regrets and suicidal thoughts. It's more darker in tone.

Tough one, most people prefer Cash's version but I'm going with the original by NIN. I find it being more relating and it was written and sung by Trent first so it means more imo.

This thread deserves a poll.

Both were great, but I am picking the original.

Back