Hurt by Johnny Cash or Nine Inch Nails...

danny23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which was better in your opinion and why?

The original is by NIN which was later covered by Johnny Cash.

They're both brilliant imo. Unique in their own ways. The lyrics are my favourite part, very deep and well written.

Cash's version is him being near the end of his life and having looking back at it all. It's sadder as it reflects on his whole life and some feeling of regrets when he's about to pass.

NIN's is about a younger person at his lowest battling his inner demons of addiction, depression, regrets and suicidal thoughts. It's more darker in tone.

Tough one, most people prefer Cash's version but I'm going with the original by NIN. I find it being more relating and it was written and sung by Trent first so it means more imo.

Johnny Cash via not being a whiny pussy

NIN is the superior version and it's not even close. People only like Johnny Cash's version because of the music video, which is full of his sentimental horseshit. Listen the audio by itself and it's dreadful. True garbage.

NIN

I love Cash’s version, but the instrumentation on Trent’s is undeniably amazing.

I find the tune boring. Can't think of a better word to describe it. It's supposed to be emotional, but it doesn't touch me at all. And that goes for both versions.

It kinda sounds part Alice in Chains, part U2 to me, and I feel like Alice in Chains could have come up with a better version.

NIN is the superior version and it's not even close. People only like Johnny Cash's version because of the music video, which is full of his sentimental horseshit. Listen the audio by itself and it's dreadful. True garbage.
Trent himself would beg to differ. He had reservations and doubts about Johnny Cash doing a cover of it.

From Trent himself "I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore".

I love both versions by the way

Cash's version for sure. Trent's vocals feel insincere and melodramatic, even if the instrumentation is cool. Cash took the song and made it his own, whether anyone wants to believe that or not.

They're both alright. While the Cash version is more accessible to more people, it almost makes me laugh hearing an old man talk about how he "hurt himself today"; the sentimentality is a little too forced. The musicality of the original is more haunting and beautiful, but some of the instrumentation is weird and out of place.

Just an opinion.

Fuck Hangover III for basterdizing both versions

no respect for anyone who thinks nine inch nails version is better

NIN, especially this version:

Official released versions, Johnny Cash and it's not even close. You can feel his pain, even without watching the music video.

With that said, this version by Trent eclipses Johnny Cash's version but it wasn't released that way.

Last edited:
Johnny Cash did not do it better than this

I remember Cash's version came out right before I started college. It was strange to hear a lot of my peers raving about an artist that I had only listened to before when going places with my grandparents growing up.

People only like Johnny Cash's version because of the music video, which is full of his sentimental horseshit.

From Trent himself "I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore".

Supporting my argument. Thanks bruh.

<LynchWink>

Back