Hunting

That is some bullshit. Get down there and kick some ass. I have no respect for people like that. You should make a sign that says "go hunt somewhere else" and put it in front of his camera lol

That is some bullshit. Get down there and kick some ass. I have no respect for people like that. You should make a sign that says "go hunt somewhere else" and put it in front of his camera lol

Tell me about it. My step dad is a fing bad ass who usually takes no shit from people but for him to be so lax about this makes me crazy. I will use my mom to make him do the right thing. lol We double team him and he has no chance.

Seriously though, it's his land and I have to respect that.

In my area if you paint trees with a large purple vertical stripe on them that means no hunting. I think I will ask Larry if I can do that before I ask him to take more direct steps like putting a warning note on the guy's camera. We know EVERYONE in the area so we know it's a poacher. They have well water and a company has a well right next to Larry's house. Larry thinks it's one of the guy's that works for the water company. I mean all they have to do is walk 300 yards in the woods and there is the cam. You think for a second I wouldn't go over there and talk to them when I saw them? He might, he just hasn't said he would.

Ah I gotcha. Its hard to take something like that in your own hands. I'd just paint the tree and call it good. If he's still there call fish and game, they love to fuck people over.

Black powder seems like it would be a pain in the dick lol. I guess it would feel more rewarding if you actually killed something though.

Some people love it. For me, the big draw is that the woods would be relatively uncrowded those two weekends and you wouldn't have to worry about someone's dogs messing up your spot.

Sigh it's been about 8 years since I've been. That was in the sequoias. IIRC, I was armed with a .270 with a deer and bear tag.

Never really hunted. Always been a fisherman and outdoorsman. Moved to Montana with the idea that I was going to hunt this year, but the out of state license is around 1000 bucks. So I'll wait til next year....

Did start fly fishing though, only 70 out of state for that.

Too bad you can't prisons to hunt. Lot of wild rabid animals to put down there.

Are wild animals usually healthy enough to eat? I went hunting for the first time in Austin TX just a month ago. I hunted a feral hog. I wanted to take him to the Famous Salt Lick BBQ place and let them cook it for me. The outfitter said probably not going to do that for you because of health concerns, and they mentioned "worms"

Are wild animals usually healthy enough to eat? I went hunting for the first time in Austin TX just a month ago. I hunted a feral hog. I wanted to take him to the Famous Salt Lick BBQ place and let them cook it for me. The outfitter said probably not going to do that for you because of health concerns, and they mentioned "worms"

To my knowledge, yes. There are a few diseases that animals can get that make them unsafe to eat, but usually if that's the case they are posted up on the state's wildlife website. Here in Virginia, some deer have Chronic Wasting Disease and obviously you don't want to take them if they have that, but otherwise it's fine. Best thing to do is talk with local hunters who've been at it for years and keep up with any health notices on the state website. For what it's worth, I had some hog and didn't get sick. Tasted pretty good, in fact. The issue with the Salt Lick may have been them not wanting wild game next to their products.

If chronic wasting is a problem the wildlife commission will stop all deer hunting, at least in NC.

I wouldn't eat feral hog. I've read that the meat tastes and smells like shit.

Too bad you can't prisons to hunt. Lot of wild rabid animals to put down there.

Actually you can..... Prison property is open to hunting on certain days. Saw a huge harem today right outside the fence of maximum security.

Going squirrel hunting in the morning. Finally let my oldest boy get his license this year after carrying his bb gun for a couple years. I use a .22, he uses a 410.

There is a cool video on youtube of a guy up in a tree hunting them with a gopro attached to his spear. :eek:

There is a cool video on youtube of a guy up in a tree hunting them with a gopro attached to his spear. :eek:

I wonder if it's that crazy Len Thompson from Cold Steel. He makes videos like that to show off his products.

Does no one pack a 30-06 anymore?!

I'm going for white tail as well. I'm heading to Spokane tomorrow.
I do. I just bought a Ruger American .30-06. Quite pleased with it, shoots amazing, smooth action, light, the whole 9 yds. I've shot a Remington 700 30-06 for years now and this Ruger is stacking up very nice to the 700. I slapped a bipod on it and a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 X 40 scope and she's ready for Mule Deer season. Can't wait.

I wonder if it's that crazy Len Thompson from Cold Steel. He makes videos like that to show off his products.

It's not a cold steel vid,they are cool too though. His youtube username is B.F. Reeves Jr. I would post it ,but dem squeals would give some nightmares.

edit- near miss
oooojcspz.gif

Last edited:
yeah i searched it out. wild stuff but really it's not my thing. those feral hogs are true pests but i would not want them to suffer like that. what would be cool is if you could put c4 out there and just destroy about 10 of them at a time. i mean look at how many there were. one at time just isn't enough for a pest. you don't kill one ant at a time.

my best friend is a huge edged weapons freak. his dream is to do a kill like that.

If chronic wasting is a problem the wildlife commission will stop all deer hunting, at least in NC.

Went back and checked the website more--evidently there's only been 5 reported cases in VA the past few years, though there have been many more in West Virginia. I think I was confusing it with hemorrhagic disease. I don't know if VA would shut down deer hunting if it got bad, however.

Has there been an outbreak in NC recently? I lived there for three years but didn't hunt at the time.

Does no one pack a 30-06 anymore?!

I'm going for white tail as well. I'm heading to Spokane tomorrow.

Fellow 06'r here! Winchester model 70. Also occasionally hunt with my marlin guide gun in 45/70 , have yet to shoot anything but paper with it though.

Back