Hunt vs Nelson continues the trend of staggeringly wretched matchmaking

It's a freak show fight

Those draw in Japan. No better place to do it. Fans have wanted it for years.

What makes this a freak show fight? Is Giant Silva reffing it? Is it Roy's mullet?

This is a very straight forward fight between two popular fighters with crowd pleasing styles.

TS is scared of the fact that Nelson can win this fight and end Hunt's dream of title contention.

I love pride style fights. Not those stalling, holding, grapplefucking stalemates.

1 Fabricio Werdum
2 Junior Dos Santos
3 Travis Browne
4 Antonio Silva
5 Josh Barnett
6 Stipe Miocic
7 Alistair Overeem
8 Mark Hunt
9 Roy Nelson

This freakshow fight between two big dudes does nothing to put the other any closer towards a title shot. While Roy has gotten beaten up already by #1, #2, and #6, it's kinda hard to argue for him getting a top 5 opponent after only knocking out what has become of Minotauro. But a matchup against Travis Browne (who is coming off a loss), Bigfoot (coming off juice), or Barnett (coming off loss) would still be money. All 3 of those guys are due for a "punishment" type of matchup where they have to fight some non-fancy "big" fight that you fight when you get your ass kicked. And Pretty Boy Roy lives for those suicide matchups against big guys with huge explosive.

At worst, Roy versus Gonzaga on a Fightpass Brazil card wouldn't be bad, either.

But please anything other than this "just bleed" novelty shit. Japan always deserves better.

Personally, I feel like Hunto won that fight against Bigfoot. And the fact that Bigfoot juiced also basically means Mark won that fight double by my standards. I have Mark Hunt in the top 5. Before the Cigano loss, he had a nice 4 fight win streak with 3 utterly gangster finishes. Hello operator, please give him somebody other than #9.

Roy just knocked out a legend in Big Nog and is deserving of another top fighter, just not Hunt.

Hunt already fought Overeem and Barnett. Those fights are out of the question. Especially since we should see as many PRIDE vs UFC fights as we can while the PRIDE fighters are still active. Werdum is about to fight Cain. Cigano gets Overeem when Cigano heals up and Overeem completes Jackson Camp. I think we're ALL clear on this.

This leaves Browne or Miocic. I want Miocic. Let Browne fight Roy or Rothwell or anybody else.

Roy has had fights Vs top guys nothing wrong with #9 Vs #8
Not sure how that is freakshow.
You may not like it but it makes sense

A war can do more for a guy than most wins, this should be a good exciting fight

The UFC has been known make terrible matchups. This however is not at all an example of that.

Neither of these men will ever fight for a UFC title so might as well forget about whether it gets them closer or not.

It a fight that fight fans would like to see. Also, I think DW actually enjoys watching Roy take EPIC damage.

What's wrong with having the number 8 ranked guy fight the number 9 ranked guy?

People will complain for the sake of complaining. Neither of these fighters will realistically win a belt, so why not entertain fans as we have been clamoring for years?

Hunt is one of my favorite fighters but this is a horrible matchup for him

"continues the staggering trend of wretched matchmaking" sound better?

How about, "I don't like this matchup because I think Hunt deserves a higher-ranked fighter."

Everything doesn't have to be EXTRA BIG ASS TERRIBLE AWESOME GIGANTIC RIDICULOUS STAGGERING WRETCHED.

you're crazy if you dont like this matchup

If you dont like this fight you are a moron.

I see nothing wrong with #8 vs. #9. If Roy wins, it moves him up the rankings. If Hunt wins, he's in the mix and would only need a top 5 win at that point for a title shot.

It's a fun fight and one of the few matches these days to get excited for.

How about, "I don't like this matchup because I think Hunt deserves a higher-ranked fighter."

Everything doesn't have to be EXTRA BIG ASS TERRIBLE AWESOME GIGANTIC RIDICULOUS STAGGERING WRETCHED.

Yeah, hyperbole is fine once and a while but most people here (myself included) go off the deep end with it.

i agree the UFC does make some bad decisions in match making but its impossible to satisfy everyone and always make the perfect match up there are too many variables such as injury, teammates, and so on. As far as Hunt Vs Roy i don't like the match up and want Overeem vs Hunt II. that's really the only reason i dislike the fight. Hunt was just starting his MMA career when he fought Overeem, and i really want to see how the fight would play out now. Plus too K1 strikers going at it, who wouldn't want to see that?

Back