Hunt vs Nelson continues the trend of staggeringly wretched matchmaking

Eh. Roy is going to sleep courtesy of a leaping left hook, right uppercut combo.

Roy Nelson is not in the same league as Mark Hunt. It's not even close.

Hunt deserved a better opponent

so 2 guys with power and great chins is wretched now? both top 10,i can kinda see where your coming from with the rankings,but come on. its a fight a lot of people want to see.

1 Fabricio Werdum
2 Junior Dos Santos
3 Travis Browne
4 Antonio Silva
5 Josh Barnett
6 Stipe Miocic
7 Alistair Overeem
8 Mark Hunt
9 Roy Nelson

This freakshow fight between two big dudes does nothing to put the other any closer towards a title shot. While Roy has gotten beaten up already by #1, #2, and #6, it's kinda hard to argue for him getting a top 5 opponent after only knocking out what has become of Minotauro. But a matchup against Travis Browne (who is coming off a loss), Bigfoot (coming off juice), or Barnett (coming off loss) would still be money. All 3 of those guys are due for a "punishment" type of matchup where they have to fight some non-fancy "big" fight that you fight when you get your ass kicked. And Pretty Boy Roy lives for those suicide matchups against big guys with huge explosive.

At worst, Roy versus Gonzaga on a Fightpass Brazil card wouldn't be bad, either.

But please anything other than this "just bleed" novelty shit. Japan always deserves better.

Personally, I feel like Hunto won that fight against Bigfoot. And the fact that Bigfoot juiced also basically means Mark won that fight double by my standards. I have Mark Hunt in the top 5. Before the Cigano loss, he had a nice 4 fight win streak with 3 utterly gangster finishes. Hello operator, please give him somebody other than #9.

Roy just knocked out a legend in Big Nog and is deserving of another top fighter, just not Hunt.

Hunt already fought Overeem and Barnett. Those fights are out of the question. Especially since we should see as many PRIDE vs UFC fights as we can while the PRIDE fighters are still active. Werdum is about to fight Cain. Cigano gets Overeem when Cigano heals up and Overeem completes Jackson Camp. I think we're ALL clear on this.

This leaves Browne or Miocic. I want Miocic. Let Browne fight Roy or Rothwell or anybody else.
Your disliking of this match up makes no sense on any level.

Rankings Factor
We've got #8 vs #9. Having people fight who are within 1 spot of each other is best case scenario for match making if you're going by rankings.
Champ should fight #1, #2 should fight #3, #4 should fight #5, 6 and 7, 8 and 9, and 10 vs 11.

that's how fights should work for the most part if the two men haven't already fought.

but that's just the rankings factor. There's also the

"how well do they match up/is it a good fight on paper?" factor

It's a great match up on paper. These two men are arguably the hardest hitters at HW and have the hardest chins at HW (at least top 3 or 4)

They both have a series of great knockouts under their belts, and are known for being able to take an outstanding amount of punishment. It's like the old unstoppable force vs immovable object bit but in human form.

Who wouldn't want to see that?

speaking of which, there's finally the

How much do fans want to see it?
On top of the whole "quite possibly the two hardest hitters and the two hardest chins in their entire division" thing, these guys are both loved by the fans, fans love their personalities and their fighting styles.

And while it may seem kinda silly to factor it in: There's also the fact that they are pretty much the two highest level guys of their...body type (their both short and somewhat fat--hunt is more sumo style thick than fat but come on...he's kinda fat compared to a JDS type and Roy is undeniably fat)

So it's interesting to see the two fat guys of the top 10 fight it out.

And what are your arguments against? Other than "real fans should know why this is a bad match up" you've pretty much just said that Hunt deserves a better match.

But other than being a biased fan what makes you think he really deserves a better match up? His last fight was a draw (drugs or no drugs--sorry the result is the same)

and need I remind you he LOST his fight before that via KNOCKOUT to JDS? He had his chance against a top 5 guy and he LOST. He has to earn another shot at the top 5 by beating someone who's in the bottom half of the top 10 and Roy makes perfect sense.

You mentioned that he won 4 in a row, but guess what? He got rewarded for that with a fight against the #2 ranked guy in the world, and that's a huge reward. That's a "if you win this one you get a title fight" level fight, and yet he lost it, so he's got to work his way back up.

PS: I think it's hilarious (in a bad way) that you immediately write off Overeem and Barnett as potential opponents just because he faced them 6 and 8 YEARS AGO)

This ain't some "oh come on we've already seen hunt vs JDS" situation where they just fought last year, those fights were 6 and 8 years ago. and they actually make perfect sense right now.

Overeem is coming off his first win in a while and is still higher in the ranks than Hunt. Hunt is coming off a close draw against a pretty high ranked dude, so why not rematch then?

and Barnett is coming off a loss but is still higher up the ranks than Hunt. That rematch would make perfect sense.

It sounds very suspiciously like you want Hunt to avoid match ups that he would likely lose. (or at least has less to gain than other potential matches)

You don't know what a "freakshow" is, and your post is fucking stupid.

This an exciting match that many have been wanting to see. Secondly it's in Japan where Mark Hunt is popular.

Primarily people want to watch good fights. This is the one fight that I would have thought no one could criticise.

Roy Nelson is not in the same league as Mark Hunt. It's not even close.

Hunt deserved a better opponent

Not even close? This is about as close as it gets.

Gay AV, gayer post.

Hunt vs Nelson is a fight I like many others have been asking for, for a long ass time.

It's a competitive fight, it's an entertaining fight, and that's enough for me. I don't care about fights being made on UFC rankings, but this fight even has that going for it too, as it's #8 vs #9. I don't think you're a regular fan. You probably watch for weird reasons.

You're living up to your name TS. This fight is going to be great.

Every single fight, people write Roy off. Every damn time. Then what, he comes up with a brutal K.O. It's astounding how people STILL are not predicting this outcome.

Although Hunt does have a granite chin.

TS, sorry man but if you're too much of a purist for my liking. It may not be a great technical match-up, it may not have important implications for the HW division or MMA in general. But heck, there's going to be some bombs!~

this is not a freakshow fight.. and how can one NOT like this fight.

Fuck Rankings this one is for the fans

So instead of #8 and #9 fighting you'd rather see #2 fight #9. Intredasting....

Close to each other in rankings? Check. As close as can be.

A fight people have wanted to see for about 2years? Check.

Get outta here, TS, this is perfect matchmaking.

8 vs 9 equals staggeringly wretched matchmaking?
Nice troll post, besides the fact that EVERYONE has wanted to see this fight for years its 8 vs fucking 9!

Just enjoy the fight of the year bro!

Back