Humans have done nothing that we predicted we would in the 80s

Also, you know you don't have to mail in VCR tapes to America's Funniest Home Videos anymore?

Yes, that was how it was done.... a long, long, time ago in a decade far away.

Funny you mention that. We were watching it the other day (my boys love it (so do I) ) and I realized how much of a PITA it had to be to send in videos when that show came out. People are so spoiled and entitled these days (TS is a good example) if a show required something like that these days it wouldn’t even make it on the air.

Expecting flying cars to be a practical reality is the stupidest idea ever. You realize how critical maintenance on even a small aircraft is? All the safety checks? The extensive pilot training required to operate one?

Now think about how many people drive clunkers on the road. Cars badly in need of a tuneup, burning oil, emitting blue smoke. Busted headlights. Missing bumpers. Driving around with out a license, or an expired license, or no insurance.

You expect people to suddenly become better/responsible drivers if flying cars ever became practically affordable? What about the risk of terrorism? Flying cars affordable to every Mohamed, Aziz, and Mohamed who gets a hair up his ass about capitalism?

I will say that I loved the show Beyone 2000. I remember watching it on the Discovery Channel at 7pm on weeknights. At 7:30pm was another future-themed show called "Next Step." Anyone remember that one?

Expecting flying cars to be a practical reality is the stupidest idea ever. You realize how critical maintenance on even a small aircraft is? All the safety checks? The extensive pilot training required to operate one?

Now think about how many people drive clunkers on the road. Cars badly in need of a tuneup, burning oil, emitting blue smoke. Busted headlights. Missing bumpers. Driving around with out a license, or an expired license, or no insurance.

You expect people to suddenly become better/responsible drivers if flying cars ever became practically affordable? What about the risk of terrorism? Flying cars affordable to every Mohamed, Aziz, and Mohamed who gets a hair up his ass about capitalism?

I will say that I loved the show Beyone 2000. I remember watching it on the Discovery Channel at 7pm on weeknights. At 7:30pm was another future-themed show called "Next Step." Anyone remember that one?
Beyond 2000 predicted that shit, not me. Simmer down.

I expect you feel like a real badass and smarter than the geniuses the show consulted, with your 30 years of hindsight huh.

Maybe they thought we would have made some advancements instead of using the same fucking roads they were back then.

I think the whole idea of flying cars and hovercrafts was based on the theory that we’d somehow invent technology that defies physics as we know it. I’m willing to bet that the day the first automobile was made successful, someone said “wouldn’t it be great if it could fly”. The airplane probably seemed like a big step in that direction, but as we know, it didn’t correlate.

I wish I got to see these shows you’re all referring to. I didn’t have cable until the late ‘90s and at that point I was bartending every night, so I must have missed out.

Everyone stopped caring about exploring space and stuff and started caring about shemales, diversity, tofu. It's depressing but whatever. We're all gonna be dead soon anyway.

Everyone stopped caring about exploring space and stuff and started caring about shemales, diversity, tofu. It's depressing but whatever. We're all gonna be dead soon anyway.
Let's spend billions remaking movies with women or blacks in roles previously filled by white males.

Fuck exploring space!

That's because flying cars are a stupid fucking idea. People already can't handle driving on a two dimensional plane. If they had to fly cars, shit would be out of control.

Let's spend billions remaking movies with women or blacks in roles previously filled by white males.

Fuck exploring space!

Because the same people are responsible for space exploration and popcorn flicks

They'd be auto driven, derr.

Money is money.

What a silly argument. There will always be entertainment. We're never going to invest all available resources into science because we're not vulcans.

Hell an enormous amount of the worlds resources is used to kill each other. We're a looooooong way from that level of unity.

I gotta call bullshit on this thread. If you went back to the 80's and told someone that in 2016 a stock Mustang GT would be faster than a Lamborghini Countach they would lock you in a mental institution.

But the book/movie 1984 is becoming more and more true. Weird.

Plenty of 80s movies predicted a dystopian future and that sure as fuck has come to fruition.

I gotta call bullshit on this thread. If you went back to the 80's and told someone that in 2016 a stock Mustang GT would be faster than a Lamborghini Countach they would lock you in a mental institution.

Um, a countach top speed was 183 mph, and the 2016 mustang v-8 is 155, so you would be right to put them in a nuthouse

*funny that if you told someone in 1980s that almost all nuthouses would be closed they would put you in a nuthouse

But the book/movie 1984 is becoming more and more true. Weird.

Plenty of 80s movies predicted a dystopian future and that sure as fuck has come to fruition.
No it isn't. Trump is going to get crushed in the general election.

Just googled 80's and 70's Sci Fi tech to see if there was shit that popped up that we use to today and take for granted.

I vividly remember that Helmet Cam scene from Aliens... The first Alien scared me shitless when I saw it on HBO as a 2nd grader. I had nightmares for years.

When the Marines went into that Alien nest... oh boy. I think I had a panic attack watching it in the theater.

But those helmet cams seemed so cool. How many officers wished they could get real time feedback on action in the field. It's no wonder that the military uses them today.

Also, the Idea of the Surveillance State from George Orwell's 1984 was meant as a warning... right? But we've all walked willingly into that one.
Ok, ok...I didn't ask for your life story!

An infographic showing some examples of NASA technological advances being used for innovation for everyday life:

nasa-inventions-infographic.jpg

Oh shit I couldn't live without a memory foam pillow?

Seriously they need to come up with better shit than that. Like a pic clear enough to read.

An infographic showing some examples of NASA technological advances being used for innovation for everyday life:

nasa-inventions-infographic.jpg

Back