Human trials begin for suspended animation

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Article presents it as an extreme last ditch effort to save someone with less than a 5% chance of survival. I still don’t know how they can prevent irreversible cell death in the brain while “frozen.” I’m interested to see where it goes, but we’re a long way out from freezing somebody and thawing them out with no complications, a la Demolition Man.

Do you want Simon Phoenix? Cause this is how you get Simon Phoenix.

I wonder if some form of re education program will be utilized as well. Giving new meaning to the word woke...

Sounds pretty cool. The article says they are using it with people who would only have 5 percent chance of survival otherwise; mainly stabbing or shooting victims, or people who've suffered a heart-attack before they could receive treatment. Probably no harm in trying it out on these people if they're almost certainly fucked without it.

How do we know God isn't playing science? Why would He give us our big dumb brains and not want us to use them?

How do we know God isn't playing science? Why would He give us our big dumb brains and not want us to use them?

In general? Proverbs 3:5 says to rely on faith and not our own understanding.

Hp5s5lr.gif

It is all coming together!! Our society is terrified of means words and now this!
Bring on the demolition man!

In general? Proverbs 3:5 says to rely on faith and not our own understanding.
So why even get out of bed in the morning? Just rely on faith that something edible will come to you. That's a pretty useless verse and Proverbs is my favorite.

This will kill a lot of people before anything comes of it decades or centuries from now.

Don't be such a cynic. Don't you wanna see how shitty a hitter Ted Williams is when he has to hit off Puerto Ricans?

Funny you mention Ted Williams because I was going to post about him...saddened me as a Red Sox fan when I read this a decade ago.

They fucked up his head awhile ago by improperly freezing it (among other protocol issues):

"Johnson says he worked for Alcor for eight months in 2003, first as clinical director then as chief operating officer. He included several photographs in the book, including one of an upside-down severed head, not Williams', that had what appeared to be a tuna can attached to it.

Johnson says Alcor used the cans, from a cat that lived on the premises, as pedestals for the heads.

Williams' head was being transferred from one container to another when the monkey wrench incident took place, Johnson said in the book. When the head was removed from the first container, Johnson described it.

"The disembodied face set in that awful, frozen scream looked nothing like any picture of Ted Williams I've ever seen," he wrote.

Johnson said that an Alcor employee tried in vain to remove the tuna can.

"Then he grabbed a monkey wrench, heaved a mighty swing, missing the tuna can completely but hitting the head dead center," Johnson wrote. "Tiny pieces of frozen head sprayed around the room."

The next swing, Johnson wrote, knocked the can loose.

Johnson also contends that there was a significant crack in Williams' head."

https://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4524957

This will kill a lot of people before anything comes of it decades or centuries from now.

Given who they are using it on probably not, and it should be immediately useful

It's for trying to slow death in people expected to die in the next couple minutes so they have time to do emergency surgery.

Like if you got your femoral artery cut or something.

So why even get out of bed in the morning? Just rely on faith that something edible will come to you.

You've obviously never read Jesus' words regarding the birds of the air. lol

Funny you mention Ted Williams because I was going to post about him...saddened me as a Red Sox fan when I read this a decade ago.

They fucked up his head awhile ago by improperly freezing it (among other protocol issues):

"Johnson says he worked for Alcor for eight months in 2003, first as clinical director then as chief operating officer. He included several photographs in the book, including one of an upside-down severed head, not Williams', that had what appeared to be a tuna can attached to it.

Johnson says Alcor used the cans, from a cat that lived on the premises, as pedestals for the heads.

Williams' head was being transferred from one container to another when the monkey wrench incident took place, Johnson said in the book. When the head was removed from the first container, Johnson described it.

"The disembodied face set in that awful, frozen scream looked nothing like any picture of Ted Williams I've ever seen," he wrote.

Johnson said that an Alcor employee tried in vain to remove the tuna can.

"Then he grabbed a monkey wrench, heaved a mighty swing, missing the tuna can completely but hitting the head dead center," Johnson wrote. "Tiny pieces of frozen head sprayed around the room."

The next swing, Johnson wrote, knocked the can loose.

Johnson also contends that there was a significant crack in Williams' head."

https://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4524957

Haha holy shit how have I never heard this story?

@Devout Pessimist, relating to our previous discussion, I'd think that liberals would be more reminded of Don DeLillo's Zero K ITT.

;)

I think younger liberals might be more likely to understand the Demolition Man reference. I don't think most of them have heard of Don DeLillo considering novels by old white men have been considered taboo in most colleges and universities.

This is pretty damn interesting.

Back