Human beings need a fight. We need a struggle to overcome.

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Agent Mulder's Hair, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Agent Mulder's Hair

Agent Mulder's Hair Banned Banned

That's why so many are depressed and have anxiety and other issues like that today. Our existence is too cushy. We don't have any real struggles for most of our lives. We don't have to struggle to defend our lives from animals or invaders. We don't have to struggle to find food every single day anymore. So we invent new struggles. We now have to struggle to drag our butts out of bed, or out of our houses, or to the grocery store. Or we have to struggle to stop eating so much food. Just think about that. We live in a weird time.

If we all of a sudden had a REAL struggle, the way people used to, all these new "struggles" people have invented would suddenly go away for the most part. If aliens came in and wanted to take over our planet, and we had a real fight on our hands, or if the power grid went down and we were back to the 1800's kind of living... I bet depression, anxiety and obesity would simply fade away. We wouldn't have time to think about crap like that anymore. Maybe we just have too much free time on our hands nowadays? idk

2. Sterling

Sterling Green Belt

Artificial intelligence might just do the trick. The possibility of us becoming obsolete will most likely motivate people.
    But who knows, maybe a world war. I see what you're saying though a lot of people especially in well developed countries lack motivation and overall resiliency

3. Agent Mulder's Hair

Yeah the struggle against AI would probably do it. I think you're right.

I mean, if people had to go find food to simply survive the day, the way every other animal on earth does, and the way people used to.....nobody would have the time to sit in their air conditioned apartment and surf the internet all day and think about how bad they feel. They simply wouldn't have the time. Ya know?

georges snipierre and MusterX like this.
  4. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

First World Fucking Problems.

smh.

5. WaylonMercy5150

WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

Star Trek The Motion Picture IX: The Struggle for Spock.

Clippy and ArtOfDrowning like this.
  6. Agent Mulder's Hair

Seems like we were designed to be fighters. We need that fight. If we don't have one, we get super depressed, and anxious, and fat. Then we can fight against those problems. But those problems are stupid and they're not really problems...they're symptoms. Symptoms of an existence that's too cushy.

7. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

Not that I disagree with you, because I don't, but if your scenario was the case then a large percentage of Earth's population would die. It would be in the billions. The reason I say that is because the entire reason 7 billion people exist today is because of a few things. The industrial revolution, and the use of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides. You take that away and famine would be the real deal Holyfield when it comes to death.

8. Agent Mulder's Hair

Probably. And it would suck. I mean, I wouldn't want anybody or anything to die. Not ever. But I think within a generation people would adjust to those conditions and then we'd be fine. But yeah the majority of our population today would have no idea how to even find food or proper shelter and it would be awful. Honestly I'm not sure I'd know how to find food or shelter either.

MusterX likes this.
  9. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Joe "We're designed to run. We're runners. We run down our prey for hours. " Rogan

MMA MASTER and supnmunm like this.
  10. Alphaboy

Alphaboy Black Belt

Probably why so many celebs off themselves after having it all.

11. Agent Mulder's Hair

Joe "I look like a thumb" Rogan :D Some comedian said that recently and I thought it was spot on.

Rogan's an idiot. Don't listen to that guy. He's also super, duper gay. I mean gay as a bag of rainbow painted dicks.....which is also kind of what he looks like.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Mocrates and loyalyolayal like this.
  12. Agent Mulder's Hair

That's a great point.

Alphaboy likes this.
  13. spin

spin Gold Belt

No, that's not why people are depressed,

And life has plenty of struggle.

bunch of nonsense

ThereIsNoSpoon likes this.
  14. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

That's why we need sports. I get what you mean. I feel like I have put myself through a grinder to feel alive sometimes. There's value in seeking discomfort.

15. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

If you are in any major metropolitan area then just imagine millions of people with no food. There is no going out and finding it at this point, not for those kinds of numbers. They say chaos can set in based on 9 meals. At any given time you are 9 meals away from chaos. That's 3 days. Pretty scary to think about. If the grocery trucks stopped coming on Monday, by Wednesday chaos would begin to set in. 9 meals. We take it for granted that the supplies just keep rolling in day after day. I live in a area of about 6 million people. That's a lot of supplies that gotta keep rolling in week after week. Civilization is far more precarious than most people can grasp.

16. Agent Mulder's Hair

It's the discomfort, but mostly it's about overcoming the discomfort. Imo

17. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Yeah, I was about to make a thread about Owen Benjamin beefing with Rogan and Co. Owen talked it out with Joe but still hates Theo and Whitney. He's on the fence on Bert.

Agent Mulder's Hair likes this.
  18. Agent Mulder's Hair

"I have to struggle against ADHD and Restless Leg Syndrome and I can't stop eating burritos and stuff"

[​IMG]

georges snipierre likes this.
  19. Wingslaught

Wingslaught Black Belt

Sounds like you're on to something. If life in modern civilization suddenly got much harder depression and obesity rates would likely plummet but not anxiety, I think. Anxiety is part of the brain's survival-based programming, it compels people to act to prevent the things they're worrying about like running out of food, or getting chased by animals etc.

20. Agent Mulder's Hair

Yeah but then the anxiety would have something to focus it's over-energy on, an avenue to channel into, and it would serve a purpose and be an assert and not a detriment.