Hulu Original Mini-Series THE FIRST (Premieres September 14, 2018)

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hulu is releasing another mini-series, from the creator of House of Cards, about the first manned flight to Mars. All 8 episodes will be released on September 14, 2018.

Thefirstposter.jpg

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-p...cial-trailer-for-hulu-sci-fi-series-the-first

The first manned mission to Mars will be one of the greatest achievements in human history, but in the Hulu original series The First, the journey to liftoff might be more perilous than the space flight itself.

The first teaser for the new sci-fi drama from creator Beau Willimon (House of Cards) arrived last month, and while it certainly hinted at challenges ahead, it also focused on a sense of hope, beauty, and ambition. It showed us a vision of the journey to Mars as a massive feat of human pioneerism, and it got us excited. The first official trailer for the series finally arrived Tuesday, and while the ambition and hope is still there, it's also very clear that the path to Mars is paved with one great challenge after another.

The concept has been done before, but given how much I have liked past Hulu original shows, I am certainly willing to give this a shot.

All episodes are available today. Just started with episode 1.

I binged watched all 8 episodes in the background, while there were some interesting bits the show seems to drag at places and well over 2 episodes (nearly 3 out of 8) in length are dedicated to Penns character dealing with his drug addict daughter.

Not really what I signed up for. I would be interested in a season 2 just purely based on where season 1 ended is where I really expected the show to be by episode 2 in the first season.

Solid acting and a solid story otherwise, but it didn't really snag me tbh.

watched the first two episodes, and going to try to watch more tonight.

I binged watched all 8 episodes in the background, while there were some interesting bits the show seems to drag at places and well over 2 episodes (nearly 3 out of 8) in length are dedicated to Penns character dealing with his drug addict daughter.

Not really what I signed up for. I would be interested in a season 2 just purely based on where season 1 ended is where I really expected the show to be by episode 2 in the first season.

Solid acting and a solid story otherwise, but it didn't really snag me tbh.

I just finished episode 6, so far I agree with everything you said. There is waaaaaay too much character development and not enough science/adventure.

Sean Penn is clearly roided as fuck and did not act one of the really tense scenes very well.

I will finish it out.

Last edited:

I agree with this part as well. It was pretty disappointing what they did with this concept, but I would probably check out a season two just because I feel like I am owed a whole hell of a lot more.

Just finished this season.

I've read a dozen books on missions to Mars, and they're really getting it right. I'm glad they're spending so much time on family pressures, one of the most demanding parts of being a part of a mission on this scale is exactly that. Penn is fantastic. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to buy into a guy his age on a mission like this, but his presence, quiet authority and unshakable dedication are incredibly compelling. I'm glad they spent so much time showing the cost of those strengths.

I'm a little sad they started the show off with a disaster, these missions always seem to start off with catastrophe. As the season focused primarily on getting the mission off the ground it's not surprising they went this way, adding the hurdle of proving it could really work after having just failed.

I'm excited for the next season.

Just finished this season.

I've read a dozen books on missions to Mars, and they're really getting it right. I'm glad they're spending so much time on family pressures, one of the most demanding parts of being a part of a mission on this scale is exactly that. Penn is fantastic. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to buy into a guy his age on a mission like this, but his presence, quiet authority and unshakable dedication are incredibly compelling. I'm glad they spent so much time showing the cost of those strengths.

I'm a little sad they started the show off with a disaster, these missions always seem to start off with catastrophe. As the season focused primarily on getting the mission off the ground it's not surprising they went this way, adding the hurdle of proving it could really work after having just failed.

I'm excited for the next season.

I knew the tragedy in the beginning was coming. You could just sense it with all of the build up.

Back