Hughes Trigg II

Ya.....GSP proved how relavent Hughes was.....ANY of top 5 WW today would haved SMASHED Hughes.....all he had was farmboy strength and wrestling.....no standup.

Yeah, him getting older had nothing to do with his (or every fighter ever) decline. :rolleyes:

lol at sherdog join date meaning anything

it only means something for people who can't backup their point and resort to pointing out their older join date as if that will make their argument credible

join date fallacy

Best fight ever? No.

Epic as fuck? Yes.

I'd probably put it top 10, but it was really short which works against it. Too many long wars exist for it to be the best ever. Fights like Royce/Saku, Jones/Gus, Hendo/Shogun, Silva/Sonnen I, Chuck/Wandy, Fedor/Cro Cop, etc.

Ya.....GSP proved how relavent Hughes was.....ANY of top 5 WW today would haved SMASHED Hughes.....all he had was farmboy strength and wrestling.....no standup.

Dumbest statement I've read in days.

Awesome moment for sure.

hughes-slams-trigg-o.gif

One of the all-time best for sure. The staredown was classic, the fight was jaw-dropping, and the post-fight reaction/speech of Hughes was legendary. Even Dana was shaking his head in disbelief of how good it was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Dana said that was his all-time favourite fight

I read an account from this dude Monte Cox who managed a lot of fighters from Pat Miletich's gym back in the day, and was responsible for putting them on UFC shows that came through that area and also managed Pulver when he was champ. Apparently, just a few weeks prior to his rematch with Carlos Newton, Monte calls up Hughes and asks him what he's doing, and Matt's like, "I'm helping my brother put a roof on his barn". And Cox is like, "Matt, I'm pretty sure that Carlos Newton is in training and not fucking roofing right now". And Hughes just showed up to fight Newton after barely training a couple of weeks, not really in good shape, and still dominated him and finished him in the fourth round.

One wonders what he could have done with more commitment to training indeed.

Also, Pat Miletich reported that the first day he grappled with Hughes, he put him in close to 40 submissions, and couldn't finish any of them because Hughes was so goddamn strong and bullish. And Pat went straight-up, "what fucking steroids are you taking?" And Hughes was like, "that's an insult, I've never done steroids in my life". I'd be inclined to believe him too, dude had that farm strength from a lifetime of working.

Yeah, I remember hearing basically the same thing about the Sherk fight. It's pretty amazing.

unfortunately for Hughes, GSP just became a better version of him. Still much respect though.

I might not want to admit it but it is true. GSP is essentially a better, more evolved Hughes.

To be fair it is a mountain wide gap between Hughes and #3 WW all-time though.

Not sure if serious. Shields would not have shit on Hughes at his peak. Most of Hughes' losses came after his title campaign, well after his prime. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I don't know about that being the greatest fight of all time. It was a great fight that had me cheering and jumping out of my seat though. I enjoyed it.

Matt Hughes at his peak was a wrecking machine. More wrestlers should be taking note of how to use wrestling to put you in a position to smash someone into little pieces like Hughes used to. He didn't wrestlefuck you, he used wrestling to fuck you up.

God he looked pissed after that ball shot. Great fight.

The fight was too short to be considered the best ever. I'd say it might be at the very least a top 5 best round of all time.

Back