Hughes Trigg II

Not the fight that made me a fan of MMA, but definitely the fight that had me the most excited and jumping around like an idiot when I was watching it.

My friend was a huge fan since PRIDE days and I had just never gotten into the sport.

Well, I was over at his house drinking and watching this fight. I remember right as soon as I saw Hughes pick up Trigg like a sack of potatoes and slam him on the canvas, I instantly became a Hughes (and wrestler) fan.

It's the fight that turned me into a casual that would later become the most hardcore MMA fan of all my friends.

^^^^^

I had a few friends over for that fight and it had the same result for them. They weren't really that into mma before then, but that fight really did the trick to get them into the sport :D.

good call, TS. it's the best fight of all-time. so much excitement; so much drama. hughes was kneed in the balls, knocked down with 3 punches (they don't show these punches during the actual fight; they take place off-screen. but you can catch them on the replay. it was A KNOCKDOWN!!), mounted, elbowed and punched badly, and choked purple, turns in, picks trigg up and then run/slams him, mount, elbows, back, choke.

This.

Plus the fact that Trigg was the biggest ass hole. He was so cocky. Not like Hughes wasn't but Frank had a bigger mouth and was the villain for sure.

vintage trigg. Hughes was an amazing fighter thats forsure

Hughes carrying Trigg all the way across the cage for the slam is classic.

Indeed. There was a 6 second gif of that Hughes slam floating around but I haven't seen it in years. The post-Brock UFC fans don't know about that shit.

prob not my favorite fight but easily in the top ten maybe even top 5.

I saw the other day that they had a thread on the best slams in the UFC and after 10 pages I didn't see the Hughes slam on Trigg...for shame!

Never liked trigg and was a huge Hughes fan at the time. Then I got to know trigg on the early taggradio days and he seemed like a good dude. As for Hughes I read his book and found out how big of a douche he really is. Him and his bro piling there father, having a baby with his college girlfriend and dumping her because he wasn't ready to be a father(like any of us are,also not the most catholic thing to do and he is a self described alter boy) and his cockiness attitude to his teammates. All tha said I still cheered for him. Hands down the sickest entrance. The fight itself was the most exciting welterweight championship fight in my opinion. But trigg was only selling ppvs and I thought he brought out a fun Hughes and not the same gracious one.

My friend was a huge fan since PRIDE days and I had just never gotten into the sport.

Well, I was over at his house drinking and watching this fight. I remember right as soon as I saw Hughes pick up Trigg like a sack of potatoes and slam him on the canvas, I instantly became a Hughes (and wrestler) fan.

It's the fight that turned me into a casual that would later become the most hardcore MMA fan of all my friends.

That moment def made me a Hughes fan for life.

Country Breakfast finished his career 45-9, about half those losses came at the end of his carreer. He has 35 finishes. How is that for a "wrestler." Easily the 2nd best WW of all time and a hall of fame fighter for sure.

The best fight of all time, for all you stupid newbs that think Jones v Gus was the best or Brown vs Silva. This shit was straight out of a movie, watch it if at all possible.

edit: Gonna go watch this right now, and maybe shed a tear.

Jones Gus was definitely better

This is the fight that really got me into MMA. That, and early GSP fights. But yes Hughes carrying Trigg across the cage was epic as shit.

The best fight of all time, for all you stupid newbs that think Jones v Gus was the best or Brown vs Silva. This shit was straight out of a movie, watch it if at all possible.

edit: Gonna go watch this right now, and maybe shed a tear.

I concur. I've watched that fight more than 50 times. I feel like I'm on cocaine after watching that fight lol.

Of all time ? Hardly.

But Hughes going straight beast mode after getting no help from the ref on a nut shot was boss as fuck.

Its a damn shame people have forgotten so quickly how awesome Hughes was.

Seriously, Hughes could be the greatest WW of all time. He lost some fights when he was old but he was a beast in his prime and has a ton of wins (45-9).

Country Breakfast finished his career 45-9, about half those losses came at the end of his carreer. He has 35 finishes. How is that for a "wrestler." Easily the 2nd best WW of all time and a hall of fame fighter for sure.

Yeah, Hughes is not just a wrestler at all. He was awesome at jiu-jitsu as well. His striking was okay but nothing special but on the ground he was a beast.

Great fight, sick finish. War Hughes.

unfortunately for Hughes, GSP just became a better version of him. Still much respect though.

Back