HUGE Fire out of control in South Australia - homes being evactuated

Seems like California has been getting 2-3 of these every summer throughout the past decade's ongoing drought.

Yep. I lived in the city of San Bernardino for 4 years. We were evacuated once. Just before reaching my neighborhood, the wind shifted north and destroyed this town called Devore. We got lucky

The fire season in those mountains are the worst in the world, mostly due a few shitty shitty factors. Climate change has allowed the bark beetle to spend more of the year eating the trees. Which means the trees don't survive and become kindling. And the process of removing them was completely underfunded at that time, about 10 years ago.

The other factor is the crazy wind in Oct-Nov. To give you an example of how bad the wind was on my block, we had a tree uproot. My neighbor had a tree uproot that completely tore up the cement patio at the froont door. We had our CHAIN LINK fence go down. Even though the wind should pass right through something like that. My other neighbor had his cinderblock wall come down. Power lines, trees, signs... all motherfucked, year after year.

There was one family who lost their home in a fire up there two years in a row. I mean 2 totally separate houses, burnt to the ground. Brutal.

TS, I don't know what sort of insurance you might have to cover your stuff via fire or smoke damage... but I highly recommend you make a video recording of every part of your home currently. Both inside and out. And if you get evacuated, just take what you can.

I wouldn't try this unless I REALLY needed to save my house, but there are a lot of people that will spray water over the outside of their homes with a garden hose, if the fire gets close. Their thinking on this is that, in a neighborhood fire only, that the fire only spreads to other homes by small overlapping points like trees, fences and buildings built too close. So if they can keep one specific area wet enough, it might not catch. But if there are too many possible spots for the fire to catch, that would be totally pointless, and would just endanger your safety.

Oh and if you have any propane tanks laying around (like on a bbq grill), take them somewhere else. Somewhere safe.

I think you'll be fine.

I was a firefighter on the ground for 3 days during Black Saturday. No stranger to bushfires and I've seen the worst of them.

Hopefully everyone evacuates safely and damage isn't too bad.

You serious?

If so , much respect... That was hell.

You serious?

If so , much respect... That was hell.

Yep. Was my first bushfire too. I'd done some backburning and digging in the past, but not the real thing until then.

Yep. Was my first bushfire too. I'd done some backburning and digging in the past, but not the real thing until then.

You've earnt my respect.
(not that you needed it)

I dont think i'll ever forget black saturday, im glad i dont live anywhere near the place but i used to ride through that area (kinglake) when me and some of the boys would go for a big ride.

I picture everything not on the coast to be a desolate wasteland. Good to know I'll be right

I picture everything not on the coast to be a desolate wasteland. Good to know I'll be right

Back