Economy Huge breakthrough in producing magnets that can handle 1,000 amps per square mm

The principle is with nuclear reactors today they use fission that is used today produces energy by splitting atoms up this reaction produces energy that is used to heat water that is then used to move turbines and create electricity. Fusion produces this energy differently and could be unending because the the way fusion works it takes much less material to produce nearly unlimited amounts of energy many orders of many magnitude greater then the very dated fission.

Fusion is what powers the sun. Atoms of Tritium and Deuterium (isotopes of hydrogen, Hydrogen-3 and Hydrogen-2, respectively) unite under extreme pressure and temperature to produce a neutron and a helium isotope. Along with this, an enormous amount of energy is released, which is several times the amount produced from fission.

whatisfusion_2_b0a8fb92-0bf5-461e-9c52-a984ee086d74-prv.jpg
Scientists continue to work on controlling nuclear fusion in an effort to make a fusion reactor to produce electricity. Some scientists believe there are opportunities with such a power source since fusion creates less radioactive material than fission and has a nearly unlimited fuel supply. However, progress is slow due to challenges with understanding how to control the reaction in a contained space.
"

This is where these massive versions of magnets can assist in containing the energy produced in the tolamak.
Uranium supply is essentially limitless and not a long-term constraint on fission. How would fusion compete?

The principle is with nuclear reactors today they use fission that is used today produces energy by splitting atoms up this reaction produces energy that is used to heat water that is then used to move turbines and create electricity. Fusion produces this energy differently and could be unending because the the way fusion works it takes much less material to produce nearly unlimited amounts of energy many orders of many magnitude greater then the very dated fission.

Fusion is what powers the sun. Atoms of Tritium and Deuterium (isotopes of hydrogen, Hydrogen-3 and Hydrogen-2, respectively) unite under extreme pressure and temperature to produce a neutron and a helium isotope. Along with this, an enormous amount of energy is released, which is several times the amount produced from fission.

whatisfusion_2_b0a8fb92-0bf5-461e-9c52-a984ee086d74-prv.jpg
Scientists continue to work on controlling nuclear fusion in an effort to make a fusion reactor to produce electricity. Some scientists believe there are opportunities with such a power source since fusion creates less radioactive material than fission and has a nearly unlimited fuel supply. However, progress is slow due to challenges with understanding how to control the reaction in a contained space.
"

This is where these massive versions of magnets can assist in containing the energy produced in the tolamak.

Yes I have seen a movie about this. It required four mechanical arms strapped to the doctors back to contain this fusion energy...

giphy.gif

As someone who doesn't know the first fuckin' thing about what's going on here, this sounds like good news.
I'm sure the TS has some pre-ordered and is going to make a hyper vibrator. Just saying

The implications if this, if able to produced mass scale would be cool, especially for small yet powerful electronic devices. Batteries still suck though

I'm sure the TS has some pre-ordered and is going to make a hyper vibrator. Just saying

The implications if this, if able to produced mass scale would be cool, especially for small yet powerful electronic devices. Batteries still suck though
What's the point of ultra magnet powered vibrator if we can't improve battery life?
I mean.. Premature ejaculation themed vibrators doesn't seem much of a thing.

Also, who the hell is looking for miniaturizing vibrators? We need to worsen our magnets for that..

Are these guys worth investing in?

Also how will a cheap energy supply change global politics?

Uranium supply is essentially limitless and not a long-term constraint on fission. How would fusion compete?
From my rudimentary understanding much, much safer due to far lower pressure (if something cracks no crazy explosion of radioactive shit), far less radioactive waste, far less risk in the transportation of fissile materials, far greater energy yield, far smaller footprint of the facility making it possible to decentralize the operations and install units closer to where the power will be consumed.

Probably more but I'm no fusion expert.

Are these guys worth investing in?

Also how will a cheap energy supply change global politics?
Petro power has a side benefit that nuclear doesn’t have. It obliges Uncle Sam and John Bull to maintain a heavy footprint in various parts of the world, and it secures elite support for their doing so. In other words, the obligatory militarism that we commoners see as a drawback is actually a benefit. Local elites that might be more resentful of interventionism look to Sam ‘n’ John as saviors — as the only realistic guarantors of a reliable flow of petrochemicals to their industries.

It’s like with Central America in the 80’s. A reliably armed communist threat kept the local elites firmly tied to US military support, because they truly lived in fear of the day communist natives would come down from the hills into the capitol city and slaughter them. Hence the uncanny ability of these little communist groups to stay flush with money and ammunition over the years: they are useful to the big boys.

Last edited:
Yes I have seen a movie about this. It required four mechanical arms strapped to the doctors back to contain this fusion energy...

giphy.gif
Almost makes you wonder whether the OP’s vid might be a Hollywood production as well.

Petro power has a side benefit that nuclear doesn’t have. It obliges Uncle Sam and John Bull to maintain a heavy footprint in various parts of the world, and it secures elite support for their doing so. In other words, the obligatory militarism that we commoners see as a drawback is actually a benefit. Local elites that might be more resentful of interventionism look to Sam ‘n’ John as saviors — as the only realistic guarantors of a reliable flow of petrochemicals to their industries.

It’s like with Central America in the 80’s. A reliably armed communist threat keeps the local elites firmly tied to US military support, because they truly lived in fear of the day communist natives would come down from the hills into the capitol city and slaughter them. Hence the uncanny ability of these little communist groups to stay flush with money and ammunition over the years: they are useful to the big boys.
Just think how the global power dynamic would shift if fusion indeed becomes a reality in about 10 years...cue Aladdin's A Whole New World
maxresdefault.jpg

Just think how the global power dynamic would shift if fusion indeed becomes a reality in about 10 years...cue Aladdin's A Whole New World
maxresdefault.jpg
Please don’t think that I’m saying that if it weren’t for oil, they wouldn’t just come up with some other pretext.
Oil’s just a really good one, cause who wants to get their power shut off?

Please don’t think that I’m saying that if it weren’t for oil, they wouldn’t just come up with some other pretext.
Oil’s just a really good one, cause who wants to get their power shut off?
Duly noted, and no I didn't think that.

Did you see my reply to you about the diffs in operating fusion compared to fission? I'm currently very optimistic about a massive paradigm shift in energy production world wide and that post encapsulates my understanding of some of the benefits if fusion hits the market, but @PEB could probably add to/correct the content of my post if he's interested.

Did you see my reply to you about the diffs in operating fusion compared to fission? I'm currently very optimistic about a massive paradigm shift in energy production world wide and that post encapsulates my understanding of some of the benefits if fusion hits the market, but @PEB could probably add to/correct the content of my post if he's interested.
Yes, and thank you.
Please understand, though, that I am old and have now lived through literally 35 years of "fusion on the horizon” stories, so I get awful skeptical when new ones come along. The set design in the OP’s vid was impressive, but when the dude said “we will soon be testing a 100-meter ribbon in preparation for the thousands-of-kilometers-long ribbon that will be required for this to work” I stopped watching.

Wouldn’t you expect, though, that the availability of cheap hydrocarbons dooms such a paradigm shift from the outset?

Sort of like seeing a press release from a company soliciting investment by announcing that they were on the verge of producing a pencil-lead from pure einsteinium, to replace those tired old graphite pencils of the past. And you think to yourself "how the heck are they going to sell pencils for a million a piece when they are currently being produced for a nickel”

anyway, I’m all for basic (non-applied) research, so bravo

This fusion talk got me thinking. Say we develop fusion energy and in 10 years energy will cost a hundredth of what it costs now.

Suddenly crypto-currency race will be the thing, and as of today cryptomining turns more energy into heat than the whole country of Sweden (or Swiss, not sure).

The paradigm of green, infinite energy is not going to make earthlings spare any energy, to the contrary, people will leave their air conditioners full time on. What you guys think?

This fusion talk got me thinking. Say we develop fusion energy and in 10 years energy will cost a hundredth of what it costs now.

Suddenly crypto-currency race will be the thing, and as of today cryptomining turns more energy into heat than the whole country of Sweden (or Swiss, not sure).

The paradigm of green, infinite energy is not going to make earthlings spare any energy, to the contrary, people will leave their air conditioners full time on. What you guys think?

Following your thought experiment:

If there really were a power-generation method that had zero environmental downside and zero restraint on supply, what would be the problem with all-AC-all-the-time? Or people driving school-bus sized SUV’s to the store to pick up a loaf of bread?

Not making an argument in asking the above, just spitballing, but do we harbor essentially moralistic ideas about people and energy, such that we would want to see conservation even if (preposterous though the idea be), there were no bad enviro consequences?

I know it killed me when I moved to LA and first experienced the freeway system (which is already pretty much like the big-SUV example I offered above). And now that I am in Florida, it kills me that we have installed 20 million people on a godforsaken, environmentally hyper-sensitive peninsula where you have to run the AC almost 24/7 just to function. But are my attitudes essentially religio-superstitious in nature?

Back