HUGE article on Little Nog's Deep Half Guard!!!

Thanks... not too often we get to see full on breakdowns of a sweep in MMA.

I am just really happy to see that this article exists.

That fight was in fact the bees knees. Nate did a great job again pulling that all together.

Awesome man, thanks for sharing.

Thanks... not too often we get to see full on breakdowns of a sweep in MMA.

I am just really happy to see that this article exists.

Just so you guys know, Bloodyelbow's "Judo Chop" technique series is awesome! The writer himself doesn't train, but he gets a lot of people that do to come in and commentate. There's a ton of cool shit on there. I'll link some more.

TOZI GUARD PASS
Special Guest Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Wilson Reis and the Tozi Guard Pass - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Fedor Emelianenko's Vaunted "Fight IQ" Failed Him in His Loss to Fabricio Werdum - Bloody Elbow
Judo Chop: Charles Oliveira's High Flying Grappling - Bloody Elbow
UFC Fight Night 22 Preview: The Judo Chops of Nate Marquardt and Rousimar Palhares - Bloody Elbow
INVERTED TRIANGLE ARMLOCK COMBO
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Chris Lytle Traps and Taps Matt Brown With "the Lytle" - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Chris Lytle Taps Out Brian Foster With a Kneebar at UFC 110 - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Randy Couture Uses the Low Single Leg Take Down to Drop James Toney at UFC 118 - Bloody Elbow
DEEP HALF GUARD SWEEPS
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: The Half Guard Sweeps of Wilson Reis Upend Shad Lierley at Bellator XIV - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Shinya Aoki Breaks Mizuto Hirota's Arm With a Hammerlock Variation He Calls the "Keichi Sasahara 2010" - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Shinya Aoki's Next Level Grappling - Bloody Elbow
Shinya Aoki's New Submission - Bloody Elbow
DEMIAN MAIA
UFC 112 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Demian Maia Has No Problem Putting Chael Sonnen on His Back - Bloody Elbow
HOW NOT TO KIMURA
Where's Your Jiu Jitsu, Playboy: Patrick Cote and the Kimura at UFC 113 - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Gray Maynard's Kimura + Head Scissors on Roger Huerta at UFN 19 - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Patricio "Pitbull" Freire Puts on a Leg Lock Clinic at Bellator - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Cole Miller's Inverted Triangle + Kimura Beats Dan Lauzon at UFC 108 - Bloody Elbow
DARCE/BRABO STUFF
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Terry Etim's Slick Set-up for the Brabo Choke - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Renato "Babalu" Sobral's D'arce Choke - Bloody Elbow

EDIT: These are new
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Brad Pickett Wins With a Peruvian Necktie at WEC 45 - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Frank Mir's No Arm-In Guillotine Submits Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 - Bloody Elbow
UFC on Versus Preview: The Judo Chops of Jon Jones - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Mac Danzig's Dangerous Guard Work and Upa Sweep Defeat Justin Buchholz at UFC 109 - Bloody Elbow
Cain Velasquez Joins the Great Debate About the Guard - Bloody Elbow
Eddie Bravo Breaks Down Quinn Mulhern's Sweep of Rich Clementi at King of the Cage: Vengeance - Bloody Elbow
The Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Kimura Roll to Armbar - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Two Approaches to the Heel Hook - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Escapes and Scrambles with Jim Miller and David Baron - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Rousimar Palhares' Slamming Takedown Clinic - Bloody Elbow
How Wrestlers Lose In MMA: Basic Chokes - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Special Edition: How Wrestlers Lose in MMA: Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir and the Kneebar - Bloody Elbow
Strikeforce Evolution Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: The San Shou Take Downs of Cung Le - Bloody Elbow

EDIT: These are new
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Drops Randy Couture and Can't Get the Gator Roll at UFC 102 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 102 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Reverse Sweep and Guillotine Choke of Tim Sylvia at UFC 81 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 104 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: The Karate Kuzushi Waza Foot Sweeps of Lyoto Machida - Bloody Elbow
UFC 104 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Lyoto Machida Uses Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu to Beat David Heath at UFC 70 - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Randy Couture Gets Swept But Survives an Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Arm Triangle at UFC 102 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 102 Preview: Is Nate Marquardt Really Ready for Demian Maia's Jiu Jitsu? - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Thiago Alves Could Not Stop Georges St. Pierre's Chain of Takedowns - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Joe Daddy Stevenson Puts a Wrestling Clinic on Nate Diaz - Bloody Elbow
UFC 101 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: B.J. Penn Takes Matt Hughes' Back From the Octopus Guard at UFC 63 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 101 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Anderson Silva Pulls a Wrestling Switch on Nate Marquardt at UFC 73 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: The Integrated Game of Jon Jones - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Brock Lesnar's One-Armed Full Nelson - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Frank Mir's Arm-Breaking Arm Bar Against Tim Sylvia at UFC 48 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: The Ankle Pick and the Gift Wrap with T.J. Grant - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Frank Mir Footlocks Tank Abbott at UFC 41 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Preview: Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Frank Mir Debuts the Mir Lock Against Pete Williams at UFC 36 - Bloody Elbow
UFC 100 Special Edition: How Wrestlers Lose in MMA: Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir and the Kneebar - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Flying Knees and Triangles with Jose Aldo and Seth Dikun - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Kuniyoshi Hironaka Applies the Crucifix Neck Crank - Bloody Elbow
LOST ART OF THE DOUBLE LEG
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Sean Sherk and the Lost Art of the Double Leg Takedown - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Toby Imada's Inverted Triangle Choke on Jorge Masvidal - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Rafael dos Anjos Catches Tyson Griffin in a Calf-Slicer, Griffin Escapes - Bloody Elbow
Bloody Elbow Judo Chop: Marlon Sandro Lands a Standing Arm Triangle Choke - Bloody Elbow
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/1/30/12914/2156
How Wrestlers Lose In MMA: Basic Chokes - Bloody Elbow

Man the list goes on. You can have a field day at Judo Chop. I might edit this post later so I can have all the grappling Judo Chops in one thread. It's too much work for one sitting.

Last edited:
Man the list goes on. You can have a field day at Judo Chop. I might edit this post later so I can have all the grappling Judo Chops in one thread. It's too much work for one sitting.

that would be awesome!

That was great!

I read all three articles while at work. Now I'm going to get some work done.

Thanks for those links.

Just putting in my 2 cents on the greatness of Bloody Elbow's Judo Chop. Helluva job, Drew, in providing all those links. Some of the best stuff in MMA blogging out there is over at B.E.

I was skimming through the first linked article and saw the embed of Hall vs. Franca and I was like ahhh FUUUUU YEAH that I made my friend, who doesn't train and jokes that grappling is gay, watch what happened at around ~2:40 and go like 'OH SNAP'.

Basically, cool story, Bro. :p

The Judo Chop series is excellent. Thanks to Drew for categorizing all the links!

How can the writer be involved with producing all that and not train? Wouldn't you be dying to try out all these techniques? :icon_chee

How can the writer be involved with producing all that and not train? Wouldn't you be dying to try out all these techniques? :icon_chee

Yea I know right?

What makes it even funnier is that this guy is basically doing what GSParky wants to do? I also like how he links articles and videos to the techniques and has pros come in and give their opinions. I really hope he does one on CB's Marcelo-Guillotine from UFC 119.

Yea I know right?

What makes it even funnier is that this guy is basically doing what GSParky wants to do? I also like how he links articles and videos to the techniques and has pros come in and give their opinions. I really hope he does one on CB's Marcelo-Guillotine from UFC 119.

Yeah, to be fair, it's one of the more readable "technical insight" columns I've read. Extremely decent stuff, especially since he doesn't train. Maybe he should use the visual knowledge he's gained and get a Lloyd Irvin blue belt after training a week? :icon_chee

Good read and nice breakdowns, especially the way its presented.

But isnt the last half guard sweep in the 3rd round one of the first "normal" halfguard sweeps everyone learns when he starts to do BJJ? I cant see any deep half here.

All Lil Nog is doing is basically traping the arm of Brilz, whos trying to whizzering/overhooking Lil Nogs underhook (maybe he was seting up a Brabo/Darce choke) ,by squeezing his armpit together and then roll him over on the side of the trapped arm by underhooking the leg with his other free arm.

In my book thats just BJJ halfguard 101.

Good read and nice breakdowns, especially the way its presented.

But isnt the last half guard sweep in the 3rd round one of the first "normal" halfguard sweeps everyone learns when he starts to do BJJ? I cant see any deep half here.

All Lil Nog is doing is basically traping the arm of Brilz, whos trying to whizzering/overhooking Lil Nogs underhook (maybe he was seting up a Brabo/Darce choke) ,by squeezing his armpit together and then roll him over on the side of the trapped arm by underhooking the leg with his other free arm.

In my book thats just BJJ halfguard 101.

Probably should of just read half guard instead of deep half, yeah.

Back