Economy Huawei News & Discussion: BT Will Build UK’s Emergency Network with "High-Risk Vendor" Huawei

You're not listening, brother. It doesn't have anything to do with markets, they can't operate if they're cut off from US tech indefinitely. It will trigger their collapse as a corporation. There will be no Huawei.

They only produce SoC's from ARM Holdings licenses and aren't an IDM either. Huawei's computers and data centers run on Intel processors, mobile handsets are dependent on radio frequency units made by Qorvo. Its 5G base stations incorporate critical components produced by Xilinx while Texas Instruments provides the analog semiconductors for them.

It also relies on Micron for the memory chips that go into their smartphones although they could feasibly switch to SK Hynix (South Korea) on that front. And the US could also pull its military support for South Korea, I think they're shit out of luck.

This post should get 100 likes.

It's common knowledge, but it's surprising that there are still many more people in the WR who still don't realize that virtually every smartphone in the world right now is built on the latest American designs and components - no matter where the device is produced and assembled, be it Taiwan, mainland China, or South Korea.

This post should get 100 likes.

It's common knowledge, but it's surprising that there are still many more people in the WR who still don't realize that virtually every smartphone in the world right now is built on the latest American designs and components - no matter where the device is produced and assembled, be it Taiwan, mainland China, or South Korea.

Virtually all of modern electronics is built on the latest cutting edge American designs and components. America invented the brains of them. People were always high as giraffe pussy over the China tech hype so it's only a little humorous observing that narrative completely unravel. Like, whole frame broken and head blown the fuck open. It really isn't hubris to say you don't want to fuck with this country. China has been doing that to the tune of up to $600 billion dollars, per year. And it's the US somehow in the wrong? Go roll with them wonton weenie dicks then, player. I'm not hearing that shit.

Apparently it's not that simple and China is having trouble making some of this stuff which is why they rely on American tech companies. We like to think it's as simple as just buy a copy and reproduce it but we're talking about very advanced technology it's a lot harder than most people realize.

Honestly @ElKarlo, thank goodness for this. They need to lean out and I'm also glad to see them move away from NAND as well as let Qualcomm do their thing in the 5G modem market. They've been in the game 50 years now and still hold 95% of pc's, 95% of data centers (biggest growth business) and power 95% of the world's top 500 supercomputers.

Intel’s 10 nm may be a short-living node as the company’s 7 nm tech is on-track for introduction in accordance with its original schedule.

For a number of times Intel said that it set too aggressive scaling/transistor density targets for its 10 nm fabrication process, which is why its development ran into problems. Intel’s 10 nm manufacturing tech relies exclusively on deep ultraviolet lithography (DUVL) with lasers operating on a 193 nm wavelength. To enable the fine feature sizes that Intel set out to achieve on 10 nm, the process had to make heavy usage of multi-patterning. According to Intel, a problem of the process was precisely its heavy usage of multipatterning (quad-patterning to be more exact).

By contrast, Intel’s 7 nm production tech will use extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUVL) with laser wavelength of 13.5 nm for select layers, reducing use of multipatterning for certain metal layers and therefore simplifying production and shortening cycle times. As it appears, the 7 nm fabrication process had been in development separately from the 10 nm tech and by a different team. As a result, its development is well underway and is projected to enter HVM in accordance with Intel’s unannounced roadmap, the company says.

Let me get this straight. US is accusing Huawei of being under the control of the Chinese government and is a security risk. Meanwhile, US government forced its own companies to ban Huawei and pressure allies to do so, while its massive spying operation using backdoor access from American tech companies was exposed by Edward Snowden less than a decade ago.

The irony is strong in this one. If the outside world was not already skeptical on their reliance on US technology before, now they will for sure seek alternatives. Leverage tech companies as weapons, and others will treat them like so.

That thought struck me for a moment too, but isn't actively engaging in espionage a little different from merely conforming to regulation?

That thought struck me for a moment too, but isn't actively engaging in espionage a little different from merely conforming to regulation?
Actively engaging in espionage? US has yet to provide substantial proof of Huawei doing so. In the meantime, US was caught red handed with snooping on people with PRISM program almost a decade ago, in conjunction with American tech companies.

Who cares? International trade makes up like 8% of the American economy. We are literally the only nation in the world that could completely close it's doors, and do just fine.

You're sounding a lot like Petey these days. :D

You're sounding a lot like Petey these days. :D

I really don't know anything about him.

He should give that money back to CAP, and I will listen. It is basically the only thing I know about him.

The money thing begins and ends the conversation for me.

I really don't know anything about him.

He should give that money back to CAP, and I will listen. It is basically the only thing I know about him.

The money thing begins and ends the conversation for me.

I'm talking about the geopolitics analyst Peter Zeihan.

I'm talking about the geopolitics analyst Peter Zeihan.

At first I thought you meant limbo Pete, but that didn't make sense. Mayor Pete was my second guess.

I had already forgot Zeihan's name. I remember his arguments for sure, but for a million dollars I couldn't have told you his name.

Will Peter Zeihan update his book when will China colapse?

He's a homo.

I dunno, but I'd like to see him branch out beyond agriculture, energy (and demographics). I'd definitely agree that food security and energy independence are the two most indispensable things a sovereign nation can possess - US has both, China has neither - but where is the industrial high tech at?

Will Peter Zeihan update his book when will China colapse?

He is looking like he is on track.

What is surprising to me, is that the Communist party members seem to be the one's that want to fold to Trump, while it is Xi who seems to want to fight.

US backed off restrictions on Huawei overseas investors are questioning stability of US economy. They bring up the fact that the US seems to change their minds from one day to the next. They say if this is a national security issue it should continue pressing to keep American technology out of China. It more an more looks political. 3 months US companies can continue to do business with Huawei.

lol @ Wilbur Ross. He's got wealth though.

He is looking like he is on track.

What is surprising to me, is that the Communist party members seem to be the one's that want to fold to Trump, while it is Xi who seems to want to fight.
I am no ground hog expert on Chinese political structure but this is what I think is going on.

The political comisars are mostly concerned with their own financial security so they dont want to risk their state run programs getting trampled in this trading war. While Xi is a big man and has a more secured position and resources.

Looks like US government backed off on the restrictions on Huawei. This confirms my suspicion that this whole episode is an attempt to force China to concede more at the trade deal negotiation. Trump needs to stop leveraging US tech companies as pawns in his game. Credibility is paramount to US tech giants, and stunts like this erodes that every time it is used. I'm not even gonna get into the whole declaration of national emergency that started this drama. It's beyond retarded.

The U.S. government on Monday temporarily eased some trade restrictions imposed last week on China’s Huawei, a move that sought to minimize disruption for the telecom company’s customers around the world.

The U.S. Commerce Department will allow Huawei Technologies to purchase American-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.

Google did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment on the new authorization. The Wall Street Journal reported, however, that a person familiar with the matter said Google would be halting its plans to cut Huawei’s access.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/us-...chinas-huawei-to-keep-networks-operating.html

Last edited:
Looks like US government backed off on the restrictions on Huawei. This confirms my suspicion that this whole episode is an attempt to force China to concede more at the trade deal negotiation. Trump needs to stop leveraging US tech companies as pawns in his game. Credibility is paramount to US tech giants, and stunts like this erodes that every time it is used. I'm not even gonna get into the whole declaration of national emergency that started this drama. It's beyond retarded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/us-...chinas-huawei-to-keep-networks-operating.html

There was already a deal in place that Xi attempted to redraft at the last minute thinking Trump would just accept it along with the optics. It's totally understandable why the CCP doesn't want enforcement mechanisms in place to hold up their end, it's an affront to their culture. NYT isn't exactly his biggest fan among US media outlets either, more like a nemesis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/world/asia/trade-xi-jinping-trump-china-united-states.html

Intel decided to no longer supply processors and other hardware to Huawei, for use in its laptops and server products. Sales of AMD processors will stop, too. Qualcomm-Broadcom have decided to stop supply of mobile SoCs and network PHYs, respectively. Microsoft decided to stop licensing Huawei to use Windows and Office products.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255715/...oogle-microsoft-intel-and-qualcomm-ban-huawei

I'm sure this will backfire eventually. It's a sign of goodwill and cooperation that China has so far licensed stuff from the U.S. imo.

Hopefully nobody believes that they will not be able to penetrate the CPU and SoC market and become independent from the US. This may take a few years, but the U.S. will look back on this day with regret.

I am no ground hog expert on Chinese political structure but this is what I think is going on.

The political comisars are mostly concerned with their own financial security so they dont want to risk their state run programs getting trampled in this trading war. While Xi is a big man and has a more secured position and resources.

It's a decent theory.

Back