Economy Huawei News & Discussion: BT Will Build UK’s Emergency Network with "High-Risk Vendor" Huawei

I can order a beer and introduce myself thats about all. Do I need to speak Mandarin ?

Lol fuck, let's hope you won't ever have to. Nah, just a random thought as I'm reading about him trying to rally Chinese voters for Labor. There's a dearth of Aussie posters on here, and right after I'd gotten acclimated to them from the boxing forum I used to post on before it splintered.

Come back to me on how to make a productive discussion thread after your fellow WR posters vote for you for Best TS five years in a row.
You’re posting your threads on a karate forum. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
<{outtahere}>

You’re posting your threads on a karate forum. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
<{outtahere}>

EZ Rick, Arkain2K is just about the only poster who starts these kind of threads (i.e. those I'm truly interested in) aside from @JDragon.

Not sure what the difference between 3g, 4g and 5g is. Then again, i barely use my cell. It’s something I carry in case of emergency mostly.

Man this 5G thinf is getting nuts. I am not sure about what is going to happen and who will win. Plus these back doors inside of backdoor is making things less clear.
Anyhow hopefully US tech prowess will be able to stem China's ability to spy

Let the 5G wars commence!!

Qualcomm has been in God Mode.

http://www.moorinsightsstrategy.com...st-5g-modem-puts-qualcomm-ahead-of-the-curve/

Because of Qualcomm’s CDMA heritage and 4G expertise, it only seems natural that the company would also want to have a leading place in 5G. This is further exemplified by their exhaustive R&D in 5G as well as industry wide-partnerships with operators, infrastructure vendors and device makers.

To my knowledge, the Snapdragon X50 5G modem is the first and only 5G modem in existence. Qualcomm says the Snapdragon X50 5G modem is capable of download speeds of up to 5 Gbps which is 5x faster than the fastest 4G modem, which also happens to be a Qualcomm modem, the Snapdragon X16. To attain speeds of up to 5 Gbps, the X50 must do things like adaptive beam-forming and beam tracking for when the device isn’t in direct line of sight.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...agon-855-is-the-worlds-first-real-5g-chipset/

While Qualcomm will offer the 855 with and without 5G (as it confirmed was the plan with its 5G X50 modem earlier this year), there’s no doubt that for consumers, OEMs, and operators alike, next-gen network technologies are the main draw here. Without 5G, the 855 is just another process shrink (rumors peg this as Qualcomm’s first 7nm chipset), which is no small achievement (PUN!), but not much of a compelling marketing story. Qualcomm is heavily invested in 5G, and it needs excitement around the standard to build if it’s going to sell its pricey new modems to manufacturers.

The 855 is the world’s first 5G-ready chipset in any practical sense, as it will be the first to appear in 5G phones you can actually buy for use on 5G networks that actually exist. Huawei may dispute this characterization, but no products on the market use their 5G tech. The first 5G phones in the world will launch in America - because it’s currently the only country on earth with any meaningful 5G deployment - and those 5G phones will use Qualcomm processors with Qualcomm 5G modems. And that’s really the only 5G “first” that matters.

www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/2/19/18231221/qualcomm-x55-5g-modem-7gbps-speed-capacity-release-date-specs

Even before most phone makers have launched their first 5G handsets, Qualcomm, the company behind the chips powering many of these smartphones, is already thinking about the second generation. Today, Qualcomm has announced the Snapdragon X55 5G modem, its follow-up to its first 5G modem, the X50. The chip-maker will make the new modem available to its partners in the coming months, and the first devices equipped with it should be out before the end of the year.

@NoDak Huawei praying for the trade war to end.

Huawei has more to worry about beyond Google's decision to suspend Android support. Bloomberg sources said that American chipmakers Intel, Qualcomm, Broadcom and Xilinx had told staff they wouldn't supply Huawei with parts "till further notice," leaving the Chinese tech giant without potentially vital components. Nikkei tipsters also claimed that Germany's Infineon had cut off "certain shipments" to Huawei out of caution, although a spokesperson since said that most of its products wouldn't be subject to the US blacklisting that had prompted companies to back away.

The effective trade ban could seriously damage Huawei's ability to do business. The company depends on Intel chips both for its servers as well as PCs like the MateBook X Pro. Broadcom and Xilinx supply chips for its networking business. And while Huawei makes its own processors for many of its phones, it may still need Qualcomm for some chips.

The chip companies have so far declined to comment.

Huawei has reportedly been preparing for a possibility like this by stockpiling components and designing its own chips. It's betting that an end to the US-China trade war will come soon enough to avert catastrophe.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/20/intel-qualcomm-cut-off-supplies-to-huawei/

Last night, Reuters broke the news that Google, in response to a government order, was cutting ties with Chinese technology conglomerate Huawei. While the order is live, future devices from the company won’t have access to Google’s proprietary software – like Maps, the Google Play Store, and more.

This news is, frankly, devastating for Huawei. The company is the world’s second largest phone manufacturer. This is a feat the company has managed to accomplish while simultaneously avoiding the US market.

Huawei has achieved massive success in Europe, Africa, Latin America, and Asia. Through Honor, Huawei’s primarily youth-oriented sub-brand, the company is the top-selling phone manufacturer in Russia. It feels patently unfair that these customers should lose choice, all because of an economic cold war that their countries aren’t party to — and perhaps don’t even want.

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019...the-great-huawei-android-war-of-independence/

It Huawei or the Highway.

Android is open source. They can't block Android OS, just their own Google Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps, etc. So inadvertently creating a "forced" google-free product. Still spying on you though.

<Cage33><{yearp}>

As pointed out the founder of the company announced he was a member of the communist party of China. Not looking good if your interested in your privacy that being said so far only a company who made server motherboards have been identified as actually installing equipment that could be used to spy on people. US as dominance in chip making and only a few companies that are actually independent of larger suppliers but the ramification of this is huge do to the size of the market. We could very well be seeing the end of US dominance in technology with this on going war.

Don't buy the talking points that the US has a 5 to 10 year lead and we can wait this out till they brake. Most of our major companies rely on Taiwanese or Korean suppliers to produce the vast number of chips we need as our companies design the stuff we leave it to 3rd parties to produce and it takes 2 to 3 years or more to build a high volume chip making factory. Android is made up of parts open source and closed source parts that make it virtually impossible to port independent of these parts and function. The way the open source drivers work they go hand to hand with the OS and how it interfaces with the screen.

"Yes of course.

The most basic and important part of Android is open source in AOSP project, everyone can get and modify it.

However, to make a real Android device, you also need many other parts like your device hardware drivers, your custom sources code for customized ui, customized function, application, … These parts can be open source if you open it or closed source if you not. And as you know, there are many manufacturers are providing their products for android like samsung, sony, htc, qualcomn, mediatek, …, and almost of their customized source code is not open.

So now you can think that although android is open source operation system, it is not totally opened at all."

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-closed-source-parts-in-Android

Last edited:
It Huawei or the Highway.

Android is open source. They can't block Android OS, just their own Google Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps, etc. So inadvertently creating a "forced" google-free product. Still spying on you though.

<Cage33><{yearp}>
Sounds like a good thing. Google is an extension of the state dept.

Back