Economy Huawei News & Discussion: BT Will Build UK’s Emergency Network with "High-Risk Vendor" Huawei

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
The official News & Discussion mega-thread for all the latest business/security/political concerns regarding Huawei.

Thread Index:

Vodafone Found Hidden Backdoors in Huawei Equipment
By Daniele Lepido | April 30, 2019

740x-1.png

For months, Huawei Technologies Co. has faced U.S. allegations that it flouted sanctions on Iran, attempted to steal trade secrets from a business partner and has threatened to enable Chinese spying through the telecom networks it’s built across the West.

Now Vodafone Group Plc has acknowledged to Bloomberg that it found vulnerabilities going back years with equipment supplied by Shenzhen-based Huawei for the carrier’s Italian business. While Vodafone says the issues were resolved, the revelation may further damage the reputation of a major symbol of China’s global technology prowess.

Europe’s biggest phone company identified hidden backdoors in the software that could have given Huawei unauthorized access to the carrier’s fixed-line network in Italy, a system that provides internet service to millions of homes and businesses, according to Vodafone’s security briefing documents from 2009 and 2011 seen by Bloomberg, as well as people involved in the situation.

Vodafone asked Huawei to remove backdoors in home internet routers in 2011 and received assurances from the supplier that the issues were fixed, but further testing revealed that the security vulnerabilities remained, the documents show. Vodafone also identified backdoors in parts of its fixed-access network known as optical service nodes, which are responsible for transporting internet traffic over optical fibers, and other parts called broadband network gateways, which handle subscriber authentication and access to the internet, the people said. The people asked not to be identified because the matter was confidential.

The Trump administration, arguing such end-runs around security in Huawei’s equipment could invite espionage by the Chinese state, is trying to persuade Western allies to block the company from the next generation of mobile networks. Huawei has repeatedly denied that it creates backdoors and says it’s not beholden to Beijing.

Huawei’s ability to continue winning contracts from London-based Vodafone, despite the carrier’s security concerns, underscores the challenge facing the U.S. as it tries to hinder the world’s top telecom equipment vendor and No. 2 supplier of smartphones. Huawei is vying against a stable of Western companies including Nokia Oyj and Ericsson AB to roll out fifth-generation, or 5G, wireless networks.

740x-1.png

Vodafone has defended Huawei against the U.S. onslaught, which has placed Europe—Huawei’s largest market outside China—in the middle of a trade battle between two superpowers. At stake is leadership in key areas, principally 5G technology that’s designed to support the internet of things and new applications in industries spanning automotive, energy to healthcare. Vodafone Chief Executive Officer Nick Read has joined peers in publicly opposing any bans on Huawei from 5G rollouts, warning of higher costs and delays. The defiance shows that countries across Europe are willing to risk rankling the U.S. in the name of 5G preparedness.

Huawei has expanded its relationship with Vodafone well beyond routers and is now its fourth-largest supplier behind Apple, Nokia and Ericsson. Huawei’s gear is found across Vodafone’s wireless networks in Europe; in the U.K., equipment from Huawei accounts for about one-third of the radio-access network, a critical piece of the infrastructure.

Some telecom companies have taken steps to limit Huawei’s exposure from the most sensitive parts of their networks, amid the added government scrutiny. In January, Vodafone’s CEO Read said the company had paused purchases of Huawei equipment for the core of its mobile networks in Europe, citing too much “noise” around the situation.

Still, carriers including Vodafone are fighting against the threat of Huawei being banned in Europe because they’ve come to rely so heavily on the supplier. Abandoning Huawei for 5G, with Europe already lagging behind China and the U.S., could force them to rip out the supplier’s 4G gear, a process that could take years and cost billions of dollars.

In a statement, Huawei said it was made aware of historical vulnerabilities in 2011 and 2012 and they were addressed at the time. A company spokesman said the flaws in the equipment related to maintenance and diagnostic functions common across the industry, as well as vulnerabilities. “There is absolutely no truth in the suggestion that Huawei conceals backdoors in its equipment.”

However, Vodafone’s account of the issue was contested by people involved in the security discussions between the companies. Vulnerabilities in both the routers and the fixed access network remained beyond 2012 and were also present in Vodafone’s businesses in the U.K., Germany, Spain and Portugal, said the people. Vodafone stuck with Huawei because the services were competitively priced, they said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...huawei-equipment?in_source=amp_trending_now_1

Last edited:
Do you have anything to say about it, or did you just want to cut and paste a news article? I'm not trying to be critical, but that's not how a thread is supposed to go.

Do you have anything to say about it, or did you just want to cut and paste a news article? I'm not trying to be critical, but that's not how a thread is supposed to go.
He created awareness in case some here were not aware.

Not surprised. Not honorable thing to do. The response should be an easy decision.

Interesting read.

I don't care, but it was interesting. Definitely thought that at least one of "Vodafone" or "Huawei" was going to be a drug, so that was somewhat of a letdown.

Come back to me on how to make a productive discussion thread after your fellow WR posters vote for you for Best TS five years in a row.

Come back to me on how to make a productive discussion thread after your fellow WR posters vote for you for Best TS five years in a row.

You would think someone with such credentials would know the rules in regards to posting threads then.

Weird.

No idea such awards were awarded.

I am using a Huwawei pocket wifi thing.

And I think our telco is using Huwawei components on their propriety modems.

It sucks that in my country all the top Telcos are all Huwei based now.

Yes, you make good threads. It is a bad rule that one should form an opinion on something one posts. If you slant it some way, then it will be acceptable. lol. It HAS to be an opinion thread. God forbid information be disseminated without a subjective voice attached.

Anyway, this is a big deal and Defense Minister of Britain was fired for supposedly leaking it.

LONDON — Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain on Wednesday abruptly fired her defense secretary, Gavin Williamson, blaming him for a leak that suggested she would give a role in designing a British telecommunications network to a Chinese company considered a security risk by the United States.

Mrs. May’s announcement was made after an investigation into a report in The Daily Telegraph about discussions in Britain’s National Security Council, of which Mr. Williamson was a member, and where secrecy is meant to be strictly observed.

The report suggested that Mrs. May had overruled objections from some senior council members, including Mr. Williamson, about allowing the Chinese company, Huawei, to build some elements of the next-generation cellular data network known as 5G.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/world/europe/uk-defense-secretary-huawei.html

And this is how the stock market can educate you. Trotsky mentioned he never heard of Voda or Huawei. I would never have either if not for the market. Vodafone is huge in Europe, Africa and other parts of the world. Shit stock though. I can pronounce Huawei too. Wow weigh. Say those two words.

Last edited:
An appeal to authority when the authority is a bunch of idiots where the majority think a reality star with multiple felons in his administration is a capable president.

lol what a fuckin joke, follow the rules for starting a thread and you wouldn't have been called out.

I am using a Huwawei pocket wifi thing.

And I think our telco is using Huwawei components on their propriety modems.

It sucks that in my country all the top Telcos are all Huwei based now.
Everyone is rolling in yuan. Fuck your privacy/state secrets.

Anyway, this is a big deal and Defense Minister of Britain was fired for supposedly leaking it.

LONDON — Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain on Wednesday abruptly fired her defense secretary, Gavin Williamson, blaming him for a leak that suggested she would give a role in designing a British telecommunications network to a Chinese company considered a security risk by the United States.

Mrs. May’s announcement was made after an investigation into a report in The Daily Telegraph about discussions in Britain’s National Security Council, of which Mr. Williamson was a member, and where secrecy is meant to be strictly observed.

The report suggested that Mrs. May had overruled objections from some senior council members, including Mr. Williamson, about allowing the Chinese company, Huawei, to build some elements of the next-generation cellular data network known as 5G.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/world/europe/uk-defense-secretary-huawei.html

And this is how the stock market can educate you. Trotsky mentioned he never heard of Voda or Huawei. I would never have either if not for the market. Vodafone is huge in Europe, Africa and other parts of the world. Shit stock though. I can pronounce Huawei too. Wow weigh. Say those two words.

This is particularly amusing, consider that the U.K's own Oversight Board has just concluded that Huawei's equipment carries "significant security risks".

Other European countries are mostly along the line of "yeah, there are risks, but we could probably mitigate them with strong oversight, plus their equipments are so cheap!"

Well, good luck with that, boys. If you want to play with fire, it's best to have that ointment ready.

Last edited:
One of our facilities was planning to upgrade their security camera system and some of this equipment was on one of the proposals . . . needless to say it wasn't purchased.

Definitely thought that at least one of "Vodafone" or "Huawei" was going to be a drug, so that was somewhat of a letdown.
Trotsky mentioned he never heard of Voda or Huawei. I would never have either if not for the market.

The founder of Huawei was a military technologist in the People's Liberation Army. Of all the PRC tech corps, it's the most innovative and has the strongest chin to withstand US export controls although probably not strong enough. They do have their own semiconductor design unit now (HiSilicon) which is a significant leap forward but still no in-house manufacturing capacity - the most complex and sophisticated process on the planet - it's outsourced to TSMC in Taiwan.

Back