How's rumble underdog?????

easy money on GUS. I'm 94% confident.

Rumble also has a win over an elite fighter in his prime and a win over a legend (past prime, yes but still recently won a decision against top 5 Rashad), something Gustafsson doesn't have.

When you assess both of their skills, Gustafsson comes out on top because he's the more skilled fighter. Both are well rounded enough to where it's not really an issue about who is more rounded. Gustafsson is the more technical fighter of the two, particularly in the standup. And Rumble beating Lil Nog isn't anything special, he was nearly 40 years old and hadn't fought in over 1 1/2 years. He was rusty and looked slow as hell. Gustafsson beat a much bigger (and also past his prime) legend in Shogun, a guy that already beat Lil Nog when they fought.

The odds aren't a prediction on whos gonna win the fight

so many people do not understand this concept at all.
the odds are set to get the maximum wagers placed and adjusted according to where the money is stacking up.

mma_s_koscheck-johnson01_576.jpg

When you assess both of their skills, Gustafsson comes out on top because he's the more skilled fighter. Both are well rounded enough to where it's not really an issue about who is more rounded. Gustafsson is the more technical fighter of the two, particularly in the standup. And Rumble beating Lil Nog isn't anything special, he was nearly 40 years old and hadn't fought in over 1 1/2 years. He was rusty and looked slow as hell. Gustafsson beat a much bigger (and also past his prime) legend in Shogun, a guy that already beat Lil Nog when they fought.

He may be the more technical fighter, but the more technical fighter isn't always the one that wins. He's lighter on the feet, is more fluid with his combinations, is good at changing levels especially with his jab, has a killer uppercut, is well-rounded and can mix TDs into his game... Gustafsson is a great fighter, but these skills haven't always translated into exceptional performances. Rumble may not be as diverse or as light on his feet, but he has good head movement with good boxing and lethal kicks. He snaps off kicks at good angles and has great timing, and although his footwork isn't flashy, he's very good at cutting off fighters in the cage (similar to Weidman). Not to mention he (along with Gus) has very good takedown defense.

Nogueira had just beaten Rashad, and it's impossible to analyze a fighter's performance when the fight hardly lasted a minute. Shogun had looked absolutely terrible against a low ranked guy in Brandon Vera, and Gustafsson still didn't look leaps and bounds above him (which shouldn't have been the case, seeing as how Sonnen submitted him in a round in his next fight)

Because Gus is the only man (besides Vitor's attempt to armbar) to put in danger a champ who cleaned the division.

He may be the more technical fighter, but the more technical fighter isn't always the one that wins. He's lighter on the feet, is more fluid with his combinations, is good at changing levels especially with his jab, has a killer uppercut, is well-rounded and can mix TDs into his game... Gustafsson is a great fighter, but these skills haven't always translated into exceptional performances. Rumble may not be as diverse or as light on his feet, but he has good head movement with good boxing and lethal kicks. He snaps off kicks at good angles and has great timing, and although his footwork isn't flashy, he's very good at cutting off fighters in the cage (similar to Weidman). Not to mention he (along with Gus) has very good takedown defense.

Nogueira had just beaten Rashad, and it's impossible to analyze a fighter's performance when the fight hardly lasted a minute. Shogun had looked absolutely terrible against a low ranked guy in Brandon Vera, and Gustafsson still didn't look leaps and bounds above him (which shouldn't have been the case, seeing as how Sonnen submitted him in a round in his next fight)

I agree with this. I don't think Gustafsson will have any success taking Rumble down so he'll be forced to stand, and I think that Rumble will likely be forced to stand too. I think it's pretty cut and dry that this will be a standup battle through and through, on paper anyway. Shogun did look terrible against Vera, I'll give you that. But Lil Nog hadn't fought in a year and 7 months before coming back and facing Rumble. That isn't a fight you take after such a long time away from the cage, he's just too dangerous to come back after that long and fight.

I know that Gustafsson will eat some strikes, punches at least, and given Rumble's power it could be a very bad thing. But, given Gus' chin it might not matter much if at all. No idea, but we'll find out. I know that Rumble hits harder than Shogun does, and Thiago Silva for that matter, but Gustafsson ate their biggest punches and wasn't really even fazed. Though that big overhand right from Silva did make his legs buckle a bit. Shogun's overhand rights though didn't even make him flinch, which definitely surprised me. He can't afford to eat those punches against Rumble so he'll want to be fighting almost exclusively at range and working behind his jab.

If Rumble is able to win this fight then he's one of the most deserving top contenders ever to fight for a title. If he loses then I doubt it'll set him back much because he'll rack up another couple wins and be back clawing at a title shot. I think he could trouble Jones with his pressure and would likely be able to stuff most of his takedowns too. While I have Gustafsson winning this one, Rumble could be competitive if not beat either of them on any given night, and DC too. The gap in skill between Jones, DC, Rumble and Gus isn't so big that any of these fights would be mismatches.

This makes no sense!

Rumble is on a tear ever since his move to lhw. He made top 10 fighters look like amateurs. On the other hand Gus only claim to fame is close fight with jones n since beat unranked manuwa.

Who's comes up with these odds?

I guess easy money to be made this weekend

No - you make no sense.

Gus fought the #1 ranked p4p figher in the world and arguably beat him. He imposed his striking game on him and stuffed 90%+ of the takedowns over 25 mins. That counts a lot higher than dominating Phil Davis.

Manuwa is ranked #10, not unranked.

Who comes up with these odds? If lots of people puts money on Gus, his line is going to get worse. People that put their money where their mouth is (I doubt you're one of them) has made this line swing heavily in favour of Gus, and that's for a reason. You'll simply have to wait a few days to understand it I guess.

I love when people say Manuwa was unranked...

I think most of them know he was ranked but want to play that game to dismiss him as a decent win. On the flip side, when Rumble rolled over Lil Nog, Lil Nog was officially unranked due to inactivity. He did beat Rashad before the hiatus though and despite the fight being horrible it was impressive that he beat an elite fighter in the division.

The odds aren't a prediction on whos gonna win the fight

What are you talking about? course they are.

Odds might be be slightly skewed by fanboy bets, but it doesn't change the fact that a fighter who's supposed to win is the favourite.

In this case odd makers overrated Gus n underrate rumble

I read the title of this thread and all I can think of is "How's taste my pee-pee."

Uh, rumble is the underdog because he's fighting Gus, a mauler.

easy money on GUS. I'm 94% confident.

You must have some million dollar source code in your projection engine then because that's the kind of money it could make you if it's so accurate all the time. I don't know what your algorithms consist of and I don't have to, there are too many variables in an MMA fight to be that sure of a fighter being victorious, variables you can't control. Even the Pros Picks have Gustafsson winning but that's only 2 to 1. Saying Rumble only has a 6% chance doesn't even sound close to being accurate.

To be fair, Phil Davis was supposed to take him down steamroll him etc etc and Rumble steamrolled him. If rumble hits Gus hard he will go down, but I doubt he'll be able to catch him I think Gus gets a late sub.

Back