How's my routine?

David Hume

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My goal is to build a powerful, athletic looking physique: Not so much body builder, but more NFL - Bill Goldberg in his prime (I'd like to be big through the shoulders, traps and neck). I'm not expecting to actually get that huge, just trying to paint an idea of what I'm looking to accomplish.

I'm over a year removed from 6 hours of Muay Thai training a week so my long, lean MT body has turned into a soft mid section and long, skinny arms, bleh.

I haven't done strength training in over 5 years, aside from dabbling in Olympic lifts the past 5 months. I've been bodyweight and martial arts only since forever. I did lift a lot in my teen years. I'm 30 right now.

I have squat stands very simalar to this http://ep.yimg.com/ay/fitnessgiant/valor-fitness-bd-3-squat-stands-4.jpg, an Olympic weight set, a door frame pull up thing, and a 55 and 80lbs kettlebell.

Day 1 - Pushing

Back Squat 3x8
Thrusters 3x8
Overhead Press 3x8
Floor Press 3x8 (I don't have a bench, but I can use the squat stands on the floor, plus benching has always been rough on my shoulders)

Day 2 - Pulling

Zercher Squats 3x8 (okay, quads are a push muscle, but it engages the back MORE than back or front squat)
Hang Cleans 3x8
Bent Over Row 3x8
Deadlift 1x5
Pull Ups 6x3

Day 3 - Full Body

Olympic Snatch 3x3
Olympic Clean and Jerk 3x3
Turkish Getups 2x2x2

I've gotten through week one. My quads are TOAST. DOMS in other groups hasn't been very bad. Just wondering if I should add more, or any tweaks you guys may think is beneficial??

Thanks!

Last edited:
dude, where did this 24 rep fixation come from?

Okay, massive edit for a massive brain fart I had. Sorry about that guys. It was 3x8 for 24 reps total.

:D

Why 3x8?

Why 6x3 on the pull-up?

I was reading that you want somewhere between 60-100 reps per week for each of the large muscle groups, chest, back, legs, and I tried 5x5 last winter briefly, and it's too many sets - too much time. I can get near that rep range, 24, without the extra sets, but at the cost of weight on the bar. But that was at a gym with other people. I can lift at home now, so I may give it another go. I also figure 8 is a good compromise between pure strength rep range and bodybuilding range - being that I do want to put on some size.

6x3 on the pull up is because I'm a fat ass right now (251lbs) and I'm doing them at the end of my back routine.

Needs more deadlifts. Always more deadlifts.

Why not do a program listed in the FAQs? The programs there are great as they're strength training programs.

Diet will take care of the bulk/cut part. I guess you're looking to gain, so it'll be a caloric surplus.

Every muscle is a pull muscle.

Actually what you have here really isnt all that bad. I think you could start out with 8s and then undulate the rep range to 5s when you stall on 8s and then 3s. i also think you will need more volume than 3x3 on the olympic lifts.

To give a more useful reply, I'd second taking a look at the routines in the FAQ. But if I were to modify what you have there

1. if you want to be any good at the olympic lifts, more frequent practice would be very important, if not essential. If you can get some one-on-one coaching, even better.

2.Drop the "thrusters". This is a made-up crossfit exercise that combines a bad front squat with a bad push press.

3. Do bent over rows after deadlifts, not before.

4. Fewer reps per set for hang cleans. Like any explosive exercise, you want to keep the reps per set low, so that power and rep quality remains high.

5. The distinction between "push" and "pull" really isn't especially meaningful for any lower body exercise - the joints and muscles used are largely the same, only with somewhat different ROMs and emphasis. Plus most people benefit hugely from more frequent work with upper body pressing and pulling, so having each day be total body, would be more effective.

6. If you really want to do zerchers, suit yourself, but I don't really see a benefit.

If you don't have a bench, you could at least do some overhead pressing. I guess on your third training day you're getting weight overhead, but I've always loved the action of locking in place then pressing from a dead start. So, out of personal preference, any program without SOHP is lacking something (I'm pretty fond of a single arm overhead press as well).

To give a more useful reply, I'd second taking a look at the routines in the FAQ. But if I were to modify what you have there

1. if you want to be any good at the olympic lifts, more frequent practice would be very important, if not essential. If you can get some one-on-one coaching, even better.

2.Drop the "thrusters". This is a made-up crossfit exercise that combines a bad front squat with a bad push press.

3. Do bent over rows after deadlifts, not before.

4. Fewer reps per set for hang cleans. Like any explosive exercise, you want to keep the reps per set low, so that power and rep quality remains high.

5. The distinction between "push" and "pull" really isn't especially meaningful for any lower body exercise - the joints and muscles used are largely the same, only with somewhat different ROMs and emphasis. Plus most people benefit hugely from more frequent work with upper body pressing and pulling, so having each day be total body, would be more effective.

6. If you really want to do zerchers, suit yourself, but I don't really see a benefit.

Thanks for the advice!

Here's a revised routine based on your post:

Day 1

Snatches 3x3 (more frequent oly lifts)
Back Squat 8x3
Overhead Press 8x3
Floor Press 8x3
Front Squat 8x3 (thrusters scrapped and FS added to end so that my quads have had time to rest up)

Day 2

Clean and Jerk 3x3 (more frequent oly lifts and replacing Zercher squat)
Hang Clean 5x5 (less reps)
Deadlift 1x5 (moved before BORs)
Bent Over Rows 8x3
Pull ups 6x3

Day 3

Same as before

Snatch 3x3
Clean and Jerk 3x3
Turkish Get-up 2x2x2

I'm contemplating maybe moving my 8x3's to a 6x4? Would that maybe be beneficial?

What kind of load do you plan on using?

I can't imagine you keeping up a good performance with all those 8x3s if you plan on using loads that are generally used with such a scheme.

My goal is to build a powerful, athletic looking physique: Not so much body builder, but more NFL - Bill Goldberg in his prime (I'd like to be big through the shoulders, traps and neck). I'm not expecting to actually get that huge, just trying to paint an idea of what I'm looking to accomplish.

you need a lot more shrugs, dawg. Shrugs are great cuz you can add them in heavy volume at the end of every workout. Along with hang pulls, hanging snatch grip pulls and snatch shrugs, power shrugs, deadlift static holds, farmers walks and direct neck work with a head harness.

Theres nothing cooler looking than a skinny guy with huge traps and neck. Unfortunately for me, the rest of me is swole so my yoke cant look comically oversized.

Thanks for the advice!

Day 1

Snatches 3x3 (more frequent oly lifts)
Back Squat 8x3
Overhead Press 8x3
Floor Press 8x3
Front Squat 8x3 (thrusters scrapped and FS added to end so that my quads have had time to rest up)

Day 2

Clean and Jerk 3x3 (more frequent oly lifts and replacing Zercher squat)
Hang Clean 5x5 (less reps)
Deadlift 1x5 (moved before BORs)
Bent Over Rows 8x3
Pull ups 6x3

Day 3

Same as before

Snatch 3x3
Clean and Jerk 3x3
Turkish Get-up 2x2x2

I'm contemplating maybe moving my 8x3's to a 6x4? Would that maybe be beneficial?

Obligatory, Read the FAQ's Noob!:icon_chee

I've seen a lot worse. Personally, I think 8x3 Floor Press, Squats, Front Squats and Overhead Press is too much volume in one session. Especially for someone who hasn't done any strength training for years.

Also, you're doing 8x3 BOR's to 1 set of 5 Deadlifts. BOR's are fine but Deadlifts are better.

Yeah that's a lot of volume, especially if you are moving relatively heavy weight on the sets. Don't rush it with the load if you want to keep that schedule. Just practice the techniqe and don't burn yourself out halfway through. At least in the beginning. Or rotate lighter loads with heavier ones.

The exercises are good though.

Thanks for the advice!

. . .

That looks much better.

A variety of rep ranges are good. To keep it simple, you could just start with doing something like sixes, and decrease the reps per set, and modestly decrease the total reps, as you progressively add weight.

Back