How's do you pass?

What's the name of what they call in wrestling "leg lace" but for jiu jitsu? I use variations on that one a lot as well but never thought to ask what it's called.

Backstep is also fun to use among us lower belts, because we're still disoriented by the concept of people switching directions or going backwards. OMG.

With the gi I'm a low, over/under style passer for the most part. I find that without the gi that style of passing works less well as it's hard to maintain control of the hips without the cloth and you're at greater risk of uke slipping out a leg to triangle you. As such I tend to be a knee slice/leg weave guy in no-gi though I will go low against certain guards if I can force my way to an advantageous half guard. I pass in the same style as Gordon Ryan, more or less.

I am a dogshit passer. However, my new favorite way of passing the knee shield is to armdrag my opponent's top arm, and then wrap a front headlock and transition into a cradle.

Toreanno and X pass and many variations of bith mixed together.

With the gi I'm a low, over/under style passer for the most part. I find that without the gi that style of passing works less well as it's hard to maintain control of the hips without the cloth and you're at greater risk of uke slipping out a leg to triangle you. As such I tend to be a knee slice/leg weave guy in no-gi though I will go low against certain guards if I can force my way to an advantageous half guard. I pass in the same style as Gordon Ryan, more or less.

With the over under, how do you counter the bicep ride/spider guard? To me that's the most frustrating defense

With the over under, how do you counter the bicep ride/spider guard? To me that's the most frustrating defense

I don't really let them get into it. I won't try to start setting up the over/under without clearing spider hooks or leg lassos, and if my opponent can get a double bicep ride I'll back out and clear them before trying to go forward. It rarely happens though because I'm staying extremely tight with my head low and my hips high: there's not much space to get a leg in.

I don't really let them get into it. I won't try to start setting up the over/under without clearing spider hooks or leg lassos, and if my opponent can get a double bicep ride I'll back out and clear them before trying to go forward. It rarely happens though because I'm staying extremely tight with my head low and my hips high: there's not much space to get a leg in.

With purple belts and higher they're always able to scoot out and put their shin on my bicep of my 'under' arm after I get my head on their hip, especially if they're flexible. I dunno if I just need to grind harder or if there's something fundamentally wrong with my technique

With purple belts and higher they're always able to scoot out and put their shin on my bicep of my 'under' arm after I get my head on their hip, especially if they're flexible. I dunno if I just need to grind harder or if there's something fundamentally wrong with my technique

What's your belt rank?

X pass and toreandos with knee slides mixed in. I also like using kimura, guillotine, or brabo chokes to help pass. I used to do a lot of leg weaves but do less in this current saddle/cross ashi climate.

I've been working a lot on this float style winshield wiping/shin circling style of passing since I train a lot without the gi but I have a ways to go.

You probably just need to get better in general. Being able to maintain constant pressure and tightness throughout dynamic movement is a skill that just takes a lot of time to develop, but it's absolutely essential for over/under style passing. I'd say keep at it, you'll get better at it over time but it's probably not some specific technical thing you're doing wrong so much as blue belts leave a lot of space when they do stuff that higher belts can exploit. Being tight is definitely a skill and it's one you should practice by focusing on pressure and tightness whenever you're working technique (not just over/under specifically, it's a good thing to work all the time with any move), but there's no quick fix that will just make your game tighter overnight.

What's the name of what they call in wrestling "leg lace" but for jiu jitsu? I use variations on that one a lot as well but never thought to ask what it's called.

Backstep is also fun to use among us lower belts, because we're still disoriented by the concept of people switching directions or going backwards. OMG.

You mean like an arm turk/navy ride? It's very good against someone using a knee shield in halfguard (so pretty much everyone who uses half guard); from there you can bring his knee and head together for a near side cradle, putting him under your control, which blocks him from spinning under (like for a leg entanglement) and you can pass to either side; or if you want the shortest paths to submission, you can zipper your legs inside to bunch him up, and switch your hands to a front headlock choke while he's immobilized, finally moving around outside to finish in assassin position.

Another thing you can do is simply pull the leg all the way over to the other side into hiplock/far leg back turk position, like how Phil Davis did to Liam McGeary (jumping into half, clamping the bottom leg, and turking the top leg), and from there get to a far side cradle or arm triangle or reverse sit to block the leg attack and finish. Either route can be used to take the back as well.

Hearsay i've heard is that half guard sweeps are the most common scoring sweeps at the adult back belt level; i think that's largely because forcing half guard in the first place is a simple and effective way of dealing with many other trickier guard setups, so it tends to just become one of the most common situations by default.

Last edited:

You can still do an over over variation with their shin instead of an under arm:

If you like giving pressure, you might like the Sao Paulo pass.

I personally like the Braulio Estima/Roger Gracie variation of the tozi, since you can do it without needing as many gi grips and you skip strait to side control too.

Last edited:
I am a dogshit passer. However, my new favorite way of passing the knee shield is to armdrag my opponent's top arm, and then wrap a front headlock and transition into a cradle.
When I first started, I had an unhealthy obsession with reaching under for leg lock attempts from bottom half and my coach cured me of this with the cradle pass. Been a fan of this pass ever since.

Btw, has anyone else seen/been taught the single leg stack pass taught with a kind of gable grip at the base of the leg we are attacking? I've not been able to find that variation at all online but possibly I just don't know the name and it's super common.

Last edited:
Pressure pass, try to get to their half guard and start my smash pass

When I first started, I had an unhealthy obsession with reaching under for leg lock attempts from bottom half and my coach cured me of this with the cradle pass. Been a fan of this pass ever since.

Btw, has anyone else seen/been taught the single leg stack pass taught with a kind of gable grip at the base of the leg we are attacking? I've not been able to find that variation at all online but possibly I just don't know the name and it's super common.
Sounds like the older Over/Under (not Bernardo Faria's one) people also call the One Under pass with a specific grip. Generally it starts from stacking with double unders like Keenan shows here if that is the pass you meant? At some point during the stack you'll often end up switching from two legs to one as its usually easier than going directly to One Under passes right from the start.

Back