However you feel about it, UFC is redefining itself as a stylized MA org.

I don't think you understand what "whim" means.

A sudden desire or change of mind, esp. one that is unusual or unexplained.

One minute he is a UFC fighter, and then he is not.

He did something questionable, so why wasnt he suspended and trialed, instead of beheaded arbitrarily.

Its hard to defend the guy, but the double standards, and lack of trial are damning on the org.

He held on 1 second past the ref, and cranked. His prior record for this is bad.

I dont really like the way he is, but not like he got the chance to defend himself from the punishment or fairly judged by the commission.

Its also unfortunate than an element of the game suffers for his firing.

Allusions to Daley are also ridiculous.

Flexwave's post nailed it, the more mainstream the more $, Dana,Fertitta's, everyone @Zuffa, just want to make $, the more mainstream the more $, $ =root of all evil

More cuts will be coming, and if you are employed by Zuffa, you best watch what you do, hell, even if your on a win streak you can get cut,

Yeah and the more mainstream the more fans and more sponsors for fighters and more fights for the fighters..
And then,,, more money for fighters and also more orgs.

but lets forget about that..

The more sponsors that get involved in the sport, the more money that is on the table, the more changes will come down the pipe.

MMA as we know it today is already a watered down version of what it once was. Its not going to get better, only worse.

And as it continues to move toward something it shouldnt be, the more fans will come to accept what it is they're seeing and believe it to be the gospel truth. Its already a lie. You know what happens when you tell a lie? You've got to tell another lie to cover that one up. And before you know it you're swimming in the sea of fantasy.

Which is exactly where we're headed in this sport. Fantasy.

what is the lie?

He did something questionable, so why wasnt he suspended and trialed, instead of beheaded arbitrarily.

Its hard to defend the guy, but the double standards, and lack of trial are damning on the org.

He held on 1 second past the ref, and cranked. His prior record for this is bad.

I dont really like the way he is, but not like he got the chance to defend himself from the punishment or fairly judged by the commission.

I do not think that the punishment is in any way unusual or unexplained.

In fact it's easily explained... an employer sees an employee that is routinely attempting to incapacitate other employees in the company.

Also... A trial? Do you really expect the UFC to set up some kind of mock trial for Palhares.

I completely agree that he should be punished by the commission, but I fail to see why this precludes the UFC from punishing him as well. Also, given it's the Brazilian commission we are talking about, I doubt the punishment would be too severe.

Also... A trial? Do you really expect the UFC to set up some kind of mock trial for Palhares.

Palhares is suspended due to the questionable nature of his actions.

We have suspended him, pending an investigation by the commission.

If sanctioned by the commission he will be fired from the UFC.

What The UFC did was not unusual or unexplained. 1 second is 1 second to long with his history. The cut was also not arbitrary, that is just synonym of whim.

A trial? My heavens this place gets crazier everyday.

Palhares is suspended due to the questionable nature of his actions.

We have suspended him, pending an investigation by the commission.

If sanctioned by the commission he will be fired from the UFC.

Well apparently he has been 120 days by the Brazil Commission. That is a joke of a punishment and precisely why Zuffa was right to cut him.

Well apparently he has been 120 days by the Brazil Commission. That is a joke of a punishment and precisely why Zuffa was right to cut him.

If he is judged by the commision to have broken the rules, then i agree with you.

Its sad to see the guy go, because he is a diamond in MMA diversity, but he covered himself in too much shit for the org.

If a legit sporting authority suspend him and find him guilty, then i concede the argument.

Its right he goes.

However, it doesnt answer the hypocrisy and double standards issue, with regard to others pardoned for far worse.

A trial? My heavens this place gets crazier everyday.

jj1.jpg

Just think of the ratings!

Its obvious what i meant.

Edit- i would prefer he had the chance to defend himself, when he is being attacked on a personal level. He should get that really. I dont know why thats so controversial.

Last edited:
If he is judged by the commision to have broken the rules, then i agree with you.

Its sad to see the guy go, because he is a diamond in MMA diversity, but he covered himself in too much shit for the org.

If a legit sporting authority suspend him and find him guilty, then i concede the argument.

Its right he goes.

However, it doesnt answer the hypocrisy and double standards issue, with regard to others pardoned for far worse.

jj1.jpg

Just think of the ratings!

Its obvious what i meant.

Edit- i would prefer he had the chance to defend himself, when he is being attacked on a personal level. He should get that really. I dont know why thats so controversial.

He is being attacked PROFESSIONALLY, not personally. He has repeatedly acted in a manner that is extremely unprofessional. And given his attacks on the livelihood of other fighters, I think the punishment very much fits the crime.

Also, out of curiosity, who do you see as being "pardoned for much worse"?

He is being attacked PROFESSIONALLY, not personally. He has repeatedly acted in a manner that is extremely unprofessional. And given his attacks on the livelihood of other fighters, I think the punishment very much fits the crime.

Also, out of curiosity, who do you see as being "pardoned for much worse"?

Look im inclined to agree on this one.

I think he should get to defend himself, and get a hearing.

Thats all.

There are some pervasive double standards if you look at the strikeforce brawl and the daley firing.

Likewise, BJPenn held a blood choke past the end of the fight, which would be attempted murder in some states.

Lets not pretend Palhares is the first guy to be in the line of fire for this.

Diaz repeatedly hit GSP after the round.

Lets not pretend Palhares is the first guy to be judged to have continued fighting after the bell, or that he is being judged equanimously.

Look im inclined to agree on this one.

I think he should get to defend himself, and get a hearing.

Thats all.

There are some pervasive double standards if you look at the strikeforce brawl and the daley firing.

Likewise, BJPenn held a blood choke past the end of the fight, which would be attempted murder in some states.

Lets not pretend Palhares is the first guy to be in the line of fire for this.

Diaz repeatedly hit GSP after the round.

Lets not pretend Palhares is the first guy to be judged to have continued fighting after the bell, or that he is being judged equanimously.

Palhares is judged fairly. He is the only one of those you listed that have on multiple occasions attempted to cause permanent harm to his opponent (bringing up BJ when Pulver wasn't even out? really?) after the opponent has has given up. Come to think of it, he may be the only MMA fighter to have ever done that so many times. He is unique, both mentally and as a fighter.

Palhares is judged fairly. He is the only one of those you listed that have on multiple occasions attempted to cause permanent harm to his opponent (bringing up BJ when Pulver wasn't even out? really?) after the opponent has has given up. Come to think of it, he may be the only MMA fighter to have ever done that so many times. He is unique, both mentally and as a fighter.

“A lot of people actually they’ve asked me about me holding the choke on him and if I felt I held it too long and this and that and my answer has been the same since day one: I didn’t hold it long enough.”

Also ...

As far as the Rousimar Palhares release, I think it might be an over reaction on the part of the UFC but, and this is a big one, I don't know what happened in the Octagon from the Ref's perspective.

If the Ref says "break", "stop", "GTFO" or whatever else, it is the fighter's responsibility to release the hold right away. If Palhares is guilty of ignoring the Ref's instructions until he saw him dive in and push for the separation, then I support the UFC in their decision.

The fighters need to have enough personal control to know when to stop. If they fail in that aspect and cannot control themselves then they really are dangerous.

I will say this much though, this is another cut that is going to be sending a message throughout the organization. Many fighters are going to be keeping it in the back of their mind that a second too long is enough cause to be fired. This might be especially true on the more dangerous subs and could lead to some guys avoiding certain opportunities not because of the risk of counters but because of the risk of being fired.

Grey areas keep presenting themselves in this modern UFC era.

If you believe that, then go watch boxing.

I just repeated what DHK said. He didn't say it felt better, he said it made him proud.

That's because getting a finish is something to pride yourself on, wether that is with strikes or submissions, who cares. Grinding out a boring decision isn't something I imagine fighters being very proud of beyond just the fact they got their win.

Fighters pride themselves on being finishers, and it's not actually about getting the finish first and foremost. It's about looking for it.

I just repeated what DHK said. He didn't say it felt better, he said it made him proud.

That's because getting a finish is something to pride yourself on, wether that is with strikes or submissions, who cares. Grinding out a boring decision isn't something I imagine fighters being very proud of beyond just the fact they got their win.

Fighters pride themselves on being finishers, and it's not actually about getting the finish first and foremost. It's about looking for it.

Its a sport. There are rules.

You cant just fire people arbitrarily without destroying your own credibility.

1 Its bullshit.
2 Even if you cited gamesmanship, not adequately covered under rules, its meant to be a sport and not a streetfight, and theres no indication of due diligence to levels of competition, styles of fighting, etc etc.

GSP hasnt finished anyone in over half a decade. Match him up with a TUFer tomorrow and he will kick their teeth in.

How many people has Uriah Hall finished lately?

Being under a wrestler, shows you would lose in a real fight, and is understandably scored. There already exist rules to prevent stalling.

You don't lose a real fight just by being under a wrestler. You lose a fight when the guy on top of you does something that makes you unable to continue fighting.

A lot of fighters who find themselves on their backs are more dangerous to finish the fight from that position than the guy who is playing the blanket. Case in point Pettis vs Bendo just recently.

I love cain, but any wrestler at HW is a bad example. The power involved at HW is a very different game. Mini lesnar would be the worst LNPer in the sport. You wont find too many people cut for being LNPers at HW thesedays.

there are many more exciting wrestlers, I just named Cain because he finishes opponents so decisively, but there are also a lot of very small guys who easily outwrestle their opponents but they don't use it to grind out boring decisions, they look for finishes. Faber is a great example for the small guys. Mendes too. Mighty Mouse and McCall.

since you used the poll to back your okami point so many times....why don't you use the poll now?

oh that's right, cause most people agree with the firing.

he's been suspended for this before....been suspended for PED's.....3 strikes and you're out apparently.

his employer can fire him for whatever reason they choose.

keeping Paul harris employed was harming the UFC's credibility more than firing him will.

Keep being a serial contrarian.

Its a sport. There are rules.

The UFC is not the sport. The UFC can and will fire people who violate such rules and the companies own code of conduct.

This move helps the UFC's credibility and frankly is good for the sport overall. The only ones that think otherwise are those whom already have an axe to grind.

since you used the poll to back your okami point so many times....why don't you use the poll now?

oh that's right, cause most people agree with the firing.

he's been suspended for this before....been suspended for PED's.....3 strikes and you're out apparently.

his employer can fire him for whatever reason they choose.

keeping Paul harris employed was harming the UFC's credibility more than firing him will.

Keep being a serial contrarian.

I mostly agree with the firing, but the way it was done, and the double standards implicit, are repugnant.

Im a sports fan. Its a poor day, that being a poor fan necessitates such varied condemnation of the UFC. Maybe they should go release everyone, so we can go watch something else.

To be fair, ive probably been watching UFC since before you were born, so il post what i like bro.

The UFC is not the sport. The UFC can and will fire people who violate such rules and the companies own code of conduct.

This move helps the UFC's credibility and frankly is good for the sport overall. The only ones that think otherwise are those whom already have an axe to grind.

It doesnt matter if it isnt the entirety of the sport.

The UFC is not sport, period.

and that means its not MMA.

Back