Howcome Ricardo Almeida Was Able To So Thoroughly Thrash Matt Brown?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DoUEvenLiftBro, May 14, 2014.

1. DoUEvenLiftBro

DoUEvenLiftBro Brown Belt

I know, I know, with time come improvements. But realistically speaking, Matt Brown was a tough out at the beginning of his UFC career. He took Dong to a very close decision, he destroyed Pete Sell, and he ruined TUF winner James Wilks in England. When he fought Ricardo Almeida, who was dropping down to 170 from 185, the betting odds were really close. Almeida had been less than impressive after returning to the Octagon from like a 4 year absence. Yet, Almeida destroyed Matt Brown. He battered him standing up, he took him down at will, he beat him up on the ground, and he subbed him. That fight is really underrated for being a one-sided beat down. Almeida, who would go on to get rocked standing by Matt Hughes of all people and choked unconscious, completely tooled Brown. If you look at every other Matt Brown loss in the UFC, he has had his moments. Only Ricardo Almeida wiped the mat with him. Why do you think that is?

2. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

Matt Brown really wasn't very good then and stylistically he matched up perfectly for Almeida.

3. Still Holdin

Still Holdin Purple Belt

Mentally, he just wasnt the same monster. Its like he did some ibogaine or something and now is a force from helltown, Ohio.

4. DoUEvenLiftBro

What made Almeida so much more dangerous than Kim at the time, who was also a strong grappler and barely edged Brown? Almeida's UFC comeback was less than stellar, aside really from the beating he put on Matt Brown.

I'd argue against Brown not being very good at the time because the way he went through Pete Sell and James Wilks was impressive. Plus, he took the first round against Chris Lytle in his fight after the Almeida loss.

5. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

Almeida was a beast

6. fight4god

fight4god Green Belt

Matt wasn't (isn't?) that good on the ground. We've kind of yet to see if he's improved there because he's been fighting strikers and getting 1st rnd ko's as of late. (Except for the first few minutes of the silva fight). Only time will tell if he can handle good grapplers.

7. saugeye killah

saugeye killah No need rope hold up pants.

Almeida was a beast at one time, and a huge WW. Of course you pointed out how much time can improve people. Brown seems to have created an entirely new gameplan/philosophy though. He fights a really high-pressure, on-your-ass-the-entire-time strategy that has revitalized his career. It's almost a Cain Velasquez/Khabib Nurmagomedov style. It wears people down quickly, lowering their explosiveness, and the danger in standup later in the fight by virtue of them being exhausted. Works really well if someone has the wrestling chops, and is dedicated enough to get their cardio to that place.

8. Face Punch

Face Punch Punch Face

Grappling.

9. groo

groo Gold Belt

This.

I think you underestimate him. He returned old and washed up...and still won.

10. mmaknight

mmaknight ~War Belfort FTW~

It's not uncommom for fighters to experience rough patches in their career, especially before they potentially make a break for that title.

11. DoUEvenLiftBro

Brown was threatening Lytle with a very legit d'arce choke when they fought right after the Almeida fight. It was very slick, but Lytle was awesome with his sub defense. I don't think Brown has ever been bad per se.

12. Mikeyz

Mikeyz Silver Belt

This sums it up perfectly.

13. Fahrenheit1221

Fahrenheit1221 Gold Belt

If I'm not mistaken Ricardo Almeida is now an MMA judge.

14. Black Blood

Black Blood Purple Belt

Its hard to say. I don't think Matt Brown was quite the same fighter back then as he is now.

Not to mention, sometimes one fighter has an 'off' night the same night their opponent has an 'on' night.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

He was a big WW with strong grappling credentials (and a more developed game overall than Brown) and he was fighting in pretty much his backyard in New Jersey. Compare that to DHK when he was still somewhat raw and sloppy fighting potential jet lag. Different circumstances.

And Matt Brown wasn't very good then. Sure he beat Sell and Wilks but neither of those guys, in my estimation, were very good either. This is the same guy who was eeked out a win over John Howard at Howard's lowest point and was subbed by Seth Baczynski. Brown really didn't his stride until the Mike Swick fight.

16. vin22992

vin22992 Purple Belt

the same reason Story beat Hendricks so easily.

17. daprodigal2

daprodigal2 Green Belt

ricardo almeida was a very gifted fighter. he was coming off two wins at 185, and decided to cut to 170 and he was a big WW. he was just too much for brown in 2010.

almeida couldn't balance running his gym and training properly for his own fights. his gyms started blowing up when he made his second UFC run. he preferred training other then training himself.

i also think the matt hughes fight took a lot out of him. hughes got him in a beautiful anaconda choke and forced a tap out of a high-level BJJ black belt. i don't think he recovered mentally from that.

hated to see him retire from competition in 2011.

18. mepersoner

mepersoner Purple Belt

Almeida was really good. He retired after the Hughes fight because he was struggling with running his gym and taking care of his autistic son and being a professional fighter. I think he may have been a little unfocused in that last fight. He was on against Brown though.

19. RawDawgBob

RawDawgBob Like's; 100,000,000,000.69

Maybe he had a herpes out break or something? I get them all the time and they really effect my performance in my routine.

20. waynosaurus

waynosaurus Blue Belt

eh... Almeida was tough. Surprised that Hughes flattened him? Then you forget how good Hughes was. Matt Brown is what he is. Improved? Yes. But we may not want to get too high on him based on that Silva fight. Silva looked terrible. Matt pulled off a good win but, besides a huge heart, nothing he did looked elite. His striking, clinch, knees was overwhelming, but not particularly sharp IMO.
    Still fun to watch though.