Howard Davis is horrible pad holder

Davis shorts literally every punch thrown by Chuck because he brings the mitt to meet him at almost halfway there or more.

Also, the way he's using pads makes it so there's "two heads" of your opponent; the hook is where someone would be in one position, and the straight somewhere else - it's not helpful when the punches are in the same combo, but the mitts are if the opponent would be in two different positions.

Maybe he just wanted it to look good for the camera with some thuds or something, we never really know with relatively short clips, but yeah, nothing good was gained from that.
Emmanuel Steward blamed trainers shorting punches as part of the reason a lot of modern day fighters lack punching power . And he blamed the amateur pitty pat point system with ighters picking up terrible habits at a young age .

Emmanuel Steward blamed trainers shorting punches as part of the reason a lot of modern day fighters lack punching power . And he blamed the amateur pitty pat point system with ighters picking up terrible habits at a young age .

Had nothing to do with that. The talent pool is weaker.

Ok whatever . Or maybe all of that ? Nevermimd . You’re right and Emmanuel Steward is wrong bud. Got it .

We might be both right. It is a fact that guys who would do boxing in the past nowdays do american football, rugby or some other shit. My cousin is a pro and explained why the level has dropped. HW division in particular is terrible outside of the very best

Your Cousin notwithstanding, that's only an accurate depiction of boxing in some areas of the World. It's all a matter of perspective. To Americans, the Heavyweight divisions is the weakest and most insignificant it's ever been even with Wilder, yet to Europeans it's the strongest it's ever been in gloved History.

That's crazy how good he looked for his first sparring. Looks like a variety of drills covering various scenarios, getting progressively more advanced, is the way to go. I'm guessing the structure of when a student is ready to use what and staying consistent with it is a key thing.

Learn basics of stance -> drill -> learn basic of move A and B -> drill -> Learn basics of parry A and B -> drill -> learn basics of slipping/blocking move A and B -> combine it all in a drill -> learn basics of move C and D -> drill -> so on.

Something like that right? Making a judgement call for each student if they need to go back and practice this or that, and if they are ready to move on and do this, or spar.

Pretty much, yes. The thing about the way certain drills are structured is it gives you a chance to practice situations move by move, and gravitate to incorporating fluidity and improvisation. Sooner or later you try dealing with an opponent doing random crap and you realize you have AN answer for nearly anything he can do, and when you DO get hit, you know what went wrong. You can clearly see Oscar isn't a magnificently athletic kid, the one he's sparring has quicker hands AND feet. Oscar hits harder but that's largely due to his weight being lowered. What he can do comes directly from his education.

Chuck looks awful as well.

I think it could be a small snippet where he could also just be looking less than stellar. As Frode pointed out Chuck has been out of the game for some time now and is no longer in his prime. It also looks like he has a sweat going so who knows how deep into a workout he could be. I also noticed that he seemed thrown off by being recorded and wonder if that tightened him up a bit.

That all being said I am also fully confident he has severe CTE because he cannot seem to follow basic mitt work or the instructions being given.

The pad holding also sucked.

Pretty much, yes. The thing about the way certain drills are structured is it gives you a chance to practice situations move by move, and gravitate to incorporating fluidity and improvisation. Sooner or later you try dealing with an opponent doing random crap and you realize you have AN answer for nearly anything he can do, and when you DO get hit, you know what went wrong. You can clearly see Oscar isn't a magnificently athletic kid, the one he's sparring has quicker hands AND feet. Oscar hits harder but that's largely due to his weight being lowered. What he can do comes directly from his education.
I wish everyone taught boxing like that. Sure, there are the gifted ones with natural affinity for fighting that do well with less than stellar coaching, but for the rest of us that's not the case. Many places I've been to have some sort of drills, but they suck and there's no system in place. Thanks for your input!

Your Cousin notwithstanding, that's only an accurate depiction of boxing in some areas of the World. It's all a matter of perspective. To Americans, the Heavyweight divisions is the weakest and most insignificant it's ever been even with Wilder, yet to Europeans it's the strongest it's ever been in gloved History.

My cousin is European. Do you remember how WC Mike Tyson fought quote "weak" opposition? James Tilis and the rest of those guys would smoke todays heavyweights. Not good concidering that was the 80s.

Both Iron Mike and Lennox Lewis would wipe out this HW division. The new generation is supposed to surpass the previous one.

Shannon Briggs even argues that a peak Buster Douglas would beat them:D

And Joshua does not like his chances against Iron Mike

Last edited:
Davis shorts literally every punch thrown by Chuck because he brings the mitt to meet him at almost halfway there or more.

Also, the way he's using pads makes it so there's "two heads" of your opponent; the hook is where someone would be in one position, and the straight somewhere else - it's not helpful when the punches are in the same combo, but the mitts are if the opponent would be in two different positions.

Maybe he just wanted it to look good for the camera with some thuds or something, we never really know with relatively short clips, but yeah, nothing good was gained from that.

#1) Heads move
#2) if you watch closely, the straight is hitting the pad on the same line as the hooks, Davis is meeting them in the middle
#3) good mitt work is essential in boxing, always has been
#4) Howard knows what he’s doing. His holding is right for Liddell in this moment.
#5) pads build accuracy and the holder should move around, throw punches, and flash the pads at the moment he wants the guy to hit.

My cousin is European. Do you remember how WC Mike Tyson fought quote "weak" opposition? James Tilis and the rest of those guys would smoke todays heavyweights. Not good concidering that was the 80s.

Both Iron Mike and Lennox Lewis would wipe out this HW division. The new generation is supposed to surpass the previous one.

Lennox Lewis is not American. He'd fall in with the European contingent and his toughest opposition was Vitali Klitschko. And I don't agree James Tillis and "those guys" would smoke guys like Anthony Joshua, Povetkin, and quite a few others. Not when their hallmark was inconsistency.

Lennox Lewis is not American. He'd fall in with the European contingent and his toughest opposition was Vitali Klitschko. And I don't agree James Tillis and "those guys" would smoke guys like Anthony Joshua, Povetkin, and quite a few others. Not when their hallmark was inconsistency.

Joshua belongs to the very best. This was about the rest. Tillis and his peers of middle of the road HW would smoke todays middle of the road HWs

Back