How would you rate Flickr as a social media site?

DiegoLunes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
10 years or so ago, Flickr was one of the biggest social media sites on the internet and was an amazing place to meet interesting people and make connections, at least if you were into photography.

What do you think of it these days?

10 years or so ago, Flickr was one of the biggest social media sites on the internet and was an amazing place to meet interesting people and make connections, at least if you were into photography.

What do you think of it these days?

a/s/l

Flickr has been pretty much downhill since Yahoo took over. Now that Smugmug owns them who knows, but it doesn't look good. Unless you are in a niche photography community that still use flickr as their base, then in those instances I would say flickr still has its merits. Many hardcore street photographers (which is pretty much 1-2% of street photographers) still use flickr as a community both for discussion and competitions, although probably a lot less then it was at its peak.

Smugmug did buy Flickr and is doing as bad of job as Yahoo did. Now, they are doubling the price of pro accounts, which are basically worthless anyway. The only perk to having a pro account is stats which are totally inflated and fake.

Flickr is the alternative to Instagram

Flickr is the alternative to Instagram
It is a lot different and Flickr could be really great, but bad decisions drove away the community. Also, Instagram allows people to make money and run a business and Flickr won't allow that so Flickr is more of a waste of time and opportunity.

Also, that's what you get when you try to create a community consisting of circle jerking favorites/comments on top of having your photo 'Explored'. You give these mediocre photographers a false sense of belief of being some great and gifted photographer. I've had so much crap photos get explored with tons of likes. Even front page explored. This for example has been shot by countless of photographer. This was not even shot well and poorly processed during my rookie days.

SF Connection by Boingy Man, on Flickr

Also, that's what you get when you try to create a community consisting of circle jerking favorites/comments on top of having your photo 'Explored'. You give these mediocre photographers a false sense of belief of being some great and gifted photographer. I've had so much crap photos get explored with tons of likes. Even front page explored. This for example has been shot by countless of photographer. This was not even shot well and poorly processed during my rookie days.

SF Connection by Boingy Man, on Flickr

#humblebrag

Explore has been broken for years. For the past few years, it is mainly boring photos of birds and animals. Almost zero portrait photography.

Serious question from an old fart who doesn’t use any social media except for Sherdog:

Do most of you use multiple platforms like facebook, instagram and twitter? Do you switch to new ones when they come out or do you stick to the main ones?

Back