how would you handle someone "giving up" or "quitting"?

Option A unless he is you're brother or best friend then option C all the way. If he's just another dude on the team and he acts like that then he is a cancer and the sooner he's off the team the better. I wouldn't consider option B unless you are a team captain or one of the varsity seniors. If you fit the criteria for conducting option B I wouldn't say anything to a coach unless you thought that he should be off the team. Just my two cents.

everyone has a breaking point.... do you call someone a pussy and keep shoving him around if he can't finish a benching set?

can't magically get in shape in one conditioning session.

i guess when i first started bjj i said i give up after 5 mins of rolling... a year later i can go 45 mins...

If I decide I'm done and you decide I'm not I am going to go get a gun and come back and shoot you in the fucking face. Mind your own business.

Option A unless he is you're brother or best friend then option C all the way. If he's just another dude on the team and he acts like that then he is a cancer and the sooner he's off the team the better. I wouldn't consider option B unless you are a team captain or one of the varsity seniors. If you fit the criteria for conducting option B I wouldn't say anything to a coach unless you thought that he should be off the team. Just my two cents.

i like your response best

i guess i should tell more of the story...

first of all, im talking about high school wrestling not bjj or mma

we had to run 2 miles (8 laps) around the track. these two kids walked the first four and then lied to our captain about how many laps he did so they got called out on it

the captain of our team and some of the guys who have wrestled for the team for a while made the two guys run their last four.our guys were trying to motivate them by saying stuff like "come on man you got this" and "its all mental man come on". one kid said "i quit" and the other told one of the guys to "get the fuck away from me". all of this probably wouldnt have happened but our coach wasnt there to supervise because he had to leave early on personal business

I think in this situation it's legit to call people out on this, because they aren't PAYING to wrestle, but rather they supposedly earned their spot and are occupying that spot, when someone hungrier could be having it.

It's a hobby to some people, no reasons to push my believes/goals on them. Now if it's someone on the competition team sure I'll taunt him to an extent and give him a mock Dana White, "You wanna be a fucking fighter" speech.

I'm just gonna say that I think this entire thread is completely childish.

i guess i should tell more of the story...

first of all, im talking about high school wrestling not bjj or mma

Oh in that case definately option C. If the guys can't commit to do the work everyone else is doing, then ride their ass until they do it or quit.

Option A. If he can't take it, and wants to quit, then fine. It's hard. It's not for everyone. There's no law saying he has to do it.

For wrestling, I would just say A.

BJJ, unless you are training at Cobra Kai, it would e more option C trying to encouage him to go forth and not quit. Thats just the environment where I train.

A. It's sad, but people have the right to choose what they think it's best for them. Not everyone has the same drive for the same things.

I actually had to deal with this a while ago.

Dude was rolling with me and he was gassed out halfway through the second round (5 minute rounds) of rolling. He wanted to quit.

In my INFINITE wisdom, I prodded lightly at him to keep going on and just sit the next roll out. He said no. Here, what I should have done was respect his decision and just let him go.'

Instead I decided to just 'go light with him' and finish the round out. It turned out as well as you think it would turn out. He didn't like it and bitched at me for pushing him too hard.

Now, the only reason I did this was because early, he was talking about how he did CSW for a few years before switching to gi, as well as wrestled in HS. I understand that without upkeep on it, your cardio can drop easily. However, if he really had done wrestling and CSW before then he should have known that it was a physical sport and how to keep going when you are just exhausted.

My $.02

I actually had to deal with this a while ago.

Dude was rolling with me and he was gassed out halfway through the second round (5 minute rounds) of rolling. He wanted to quit.

In my INFINITE wisdom, I prodded lightly at him to keep going on and just sit the next roll out. He said no. Here, what I should have done was respect his decision and just let him go.'

Instead I decided to just 'go light with him' and finish the round out. It turned out as well as you think it would turn out. He didn't like it and bitched at me for pushing him too hard.

Now, the only reason I did this was because early, he was talking about how he did CSW for a few years before switching to gi, as well as wrestled in HS. I understand that without upkeep on it, your cardio can drop easily. However, if he really had done wrestling and CSW before then he should have known that it was a physical sport and how to keep going when you are just exhausted.

My $.02

That sounds like a good way to get barfed on.

A man who can't quit and dosen't is one thing but a man who can quit but chooses not to can handle anything.

Option A.

That's one of my favorite album covers ever.

Anyways, that's such a good quote. Thanks for that. I'm gonna remember that one.

I have to break quite a lot in jiu jitsu class. Doing it for a few weeks now, pretty overweight. There's only so high I can let my heart go, or so close I'm willing to go to throwing up. If a school or teacher allowed this childish behavior of C, I'd move onto a different school. Luckily I am at a school that's supportive of me.

If he wasn't getting ready for any kind of competition I'd probably try to encourage him one time and then let him stop if he still didn't want to continue.

If he was preparing for a tournament, I'd definitely try harder and say something like "the guy you are gonna fight is still on the mat training right now and you're gonna quit." That's always a good mental picture to motivate. But the drive to continue is ultimately within the person himself so I wouldn't try too hard.

i want to know how you guys would handle a situation like this

if during a conditioning exercise someone says "i quit" after being encouraged to go on and finish the workout would you either

A. let the guy quit and let him be a pussy somewhere else

B. Tell your coach/instructor about that lazy ass

C. Force the guy to keep going by shoving him/calling him a bitch or pussy

a situation happened like this to me yeaterday. this kid said "i quit" during wrestiling conditioning and most of the team (exept for me and a few other guys) went with opiton C after trying to motivate this kid to finish the workout.

personally i would have went with option A because if im trying to motivate someone and they dont listen, then i feel that theres nothing else i can do.

You and your whole team are assholes! You don't know why he is quitting. Maybe he is injured. Maybe he just isn't cut out for the pressure of your wrestling team. Maybe he's realizing that he doesn't like wrestling. Maybe he realized you guys are bullies.

Option A: You show yourself being an ass by calling him a pussy. But that is the best option. He's decided to quit let him quit.

Option B: Again you have already labeled him to be lazy. Being tattletale is never cool unless somebody is in danger.

Option C: Again you are already calling him names. You and your team bullied some poor kid to do something he didn't want to do. What school do you go to? Hitler High for Atheletics? Himmler's Wrestling Team? Did you stand up for the kid or did you go along with the bullying?

Let the guy decide if he wants to wrestle without labeling him a pussy.

It was also negligent of your coach to leave. What would have happened if someone was injured?

Back