how would you handle someone "giving up" or "quitting"?

Noob

Banned
Reaction score
*i edited the OP so everyone can get the full story*

i want to know how you guys would handle a situation like this

if during a conditioning exercise someone says "i quit" after being encouraged to go on and finish the workout would you either

A. let the guy quit and let him be a pussy somewhere else

B. Tell your coach/instructor about that lazy ass

C. Force the guy to keep going by shoving him/calling him a bitch or pussy

a situation happened like this to me yeaterday. this kid said "i quit" during wrestiling conditioning and most of the team (exept for me and a few other guys) went with opiton C after trying to motivate this kid to finish the workout

im talking about high school wrestling not bjj or mma

we had to run 2 miles (8 laps) around the track. these two kids walked the first four and then lied to our captain about how many laps he did so they got called out on it

the captain of our team and some of the guys who have wrestled for the team for a while made the two guys run their last four.our guys were trying to motivate them by saying stuff like "come on man you got this" and "its all mental man come on". one kid said "i quit" and the other told one of the guys to "get the fuck away from me". all of this probably wouldnt have happened but our coach wasnt there to supervise because he had to leave early on personal business

we are supposed to study in my coaches classroom before running, they text and make noise while others work. we were supposed to do a warmup jog, these kids walked. we did sprints, they walked. when we go in the weight room, they dont follow the workouts, they arent dressed properly (you dont lift wearing a hat and converse shoes) and they just bullshit in there.

personally i would have went with option A because if im trying to motivate someone and they dont listen, then i feel that theres nothing else i can do.

Last edited:
everyone has a breaking point.... do you call someone a pussy and keep shoving him around if he can't finish a benching set?

can't magically get in shape in one conditioning session.

i guess when i first started bjj i said i give up after 5 mins of rolling... a year later i can go 45 mins...

Depends on how well I know him. If its someone I barely know, definitely option A. If after being encouraged, you won't go on, then its not my job to get on you. Option C would only be used for someone that was a friend and I knew he needed a little help to continue.

No two people are the same, like the guy above said everybody has a certain amount they can take.

id say take a min, if hes not back within that time fuck him and get a new training partner.

You pretty much have to go with option A. Face it people are paying to do BJJ or MMA in most cases. So it is up to them to determine how much they want to get out of the training. I think the only time option C would be appropriate would be cases where an individual made a commitment to a competition team.

it's easier to say "i quit" than to keep trying, even if you're so tired you lie there motionless because your body isn't responding anymore. chances are he'll do the same in competition and if it's a team thing i'd be pretty upset about it as a teammate.

A man who can't quit and dosen't is one thing but a man who can quit but chooses not to can handle anything.

Option A.

Just let the guy quit...why are you so concerned about someone else's training anyway? Worry about yourself.

I don't let people quit. I'll keep pushing someone. If you quit on them, then you're giving them permission to quit on themselves. I just do what I know I would want others to do for me if I'm struggling to get through a workout. I want the best training partners possible. The better my training partners are, the better I can become. If they learn that quitting is okay, then how can I have good training partners?

Just let the guy quit...why are you so concerned about someone else's training anyway? Worry about yourself.

the kid was a potential training partner and i would like to be pushed when practice starts

i guess i should tell more of the story...

first of all, im talking about high school wrestling not bjj or mma

we had to run 2 miles (8 laps) around the track. these two kids walked the first four and then lied to our captain about how many laps he did so they got called out on it

the captain of our team and some of the guys who have wrestled for the team for a while made the two guys run their last four.our guys were trying to motivate them by saying stuff like "come on man you got this" and "its all mental man come on". one kid said "i quit" and the other told one of the guys to "get the fuck away from me". all of this probably wouldnt have happened but our coach wasnt there to supervise because he had to leave early on personal business

Last edited:
everyone has a breaking point.... do you call someone a pussy and keep shoving him around if he can't finish a benching set?

can't magically get in shape in one conditioning session.

i guess when i first started bjj i said i give up after 5 mins of rolling... a year later i can go 45 mins...

look man, im no physical specimen. im actually out of shape but you know what, i never quit. all that matters is that you do your best at whatever it is you are doing

i want to know how you guys would handle a situation like this

if during a conditioning exercise someone says "i quit" after being encouraged to go on and finish the workout would you either

A. let the guy quit and let him be a pussy somewhere else

B. Tell your coach/instructor about that lazy ass

C. Force the guy to keep going by shoving him/calling him a bitch or pussy

a situation happened like this to me yeaterday. this kid said "i quit" during wrestiling conditioning and most of the team (exept for me and a few other guys) went with opiton C after trying to motivate this kid to finish the workout.

personally i would have went with option A because if im trying to motivate someone and they dont listen, then i feel that theres nothing else i can do.

A. yes

B. if it happened a lot

C. kind of a dick move

Different people have different goals. If I was paying to take jiu jitsu as a hobby just to have fun, I wouldn't want some meathead calling me a pussy just because I am not as into it as he is.
Don't be such an asshole to your training partners and they might not want to quit training with you.

*edit* Since it's a highschool wrestling team, it's a completely different situation. I say let the coach know. If they are that much of a quitter on a team that they probably had to try out for, I say cut them. They don't deserve to be on the team. If they don't want it, you can't force them to want it.

Do what the guys at my school do. They will encourage the hell out of you, but once you quit they make a comment like "So.... you are quitting" or "If you wanna quit, go ahead". That's lets you know they think negatively of it, but they aren't bullying you or being dicks.

There's nothing I hate more than having my training partners say something like that and look at me like I'm a pussy. I will almost kill myself before letting that happen.

btw i do feel bad that they were were shoving that kid. it was borderline hazing. or captain tried to stop it but no one listened and im not in position to do so

Different people have different goals. If I was paying to take jiu jitsu as a hobby just to have fun, I wouldn't want some meathead calling me a pussy just because I am not as into it as he is.
Don't be such an asshole to your training partners and they might not want to quit training with you.

*edit* Since it's a highschool wrestling team, it's a completely different situation. I say let the coach know. If they are that much of a quitter on a team that they probably had to try out for, I say cut them. They don't deserve to be on the team. If they don't want it, you can't force them to want it.

i agree with bjj it would be a completely different story

and i wasnt being a dick. the only thing i did is call those kids out for lying. i didnt push or shove anyone

If you know the person well then i dont see a problem with pushing them to a point. To call someone a bitch/pussy is pretty immature though. Not everyone wants to be a world champion.

Back