How would you feel about Reyes winning after losing last 2 rounds?

we all know that PRIDE is the best promotion in fighting history
in PRIDE, you score the fight as a whole rather than round by round
the tide was turning in jones' favor, he clearly won the last two rounds and would probably finish reyes if the fight kept going just like diaz would beat masival

so i don't think it makes sense for reyes to win like that

If it was declared a draw, there would be an immediate rematch and Jones would beat him in the rematch similar to Gustafson.

the rules are the rules. This isn't Pride. Reyes won the first three rounds so he should've won the fight.

I don't know why you guys tell me that I don't know how rules work. I said I know that judging a fight is on "per round" basis and I know if someone wins 3:2 he should win the fight by current rules. I wish you guys read it with more understanding what I wrote. I wrote about the "feeling" of giving a guy the fight if he lose 2 championship rounds. Never did I say that I don't know how the fight is scored.

I did read what you wrote, and I answered that you are wrong.

Why exactly you feel those last rounds are more important? Just because they are called "championship rounds?"
That's just an OLD name they gave, when only championship fights went 5 rounds. This is not even true anymore, as any main event is 5 rounds.

So you are hung up on a name that does not even reflect reality... think about it before trying to claim that a champion is only the one who won those rounds.

it is asinine to think like that, because you forget that Reyes beat Jon for the 3 rounds prior to those two you get so hung up on.

heck, I am not even saying Reyes did so well against jon on all 3 rounds. Just using the example you gave. But claiming Jon would be the "real champ" because he won 2 rounds to 3 from Reyes is just stupid.

If there were different rules to judge them on, they would have fought a different fight for a different result. It's just not logical to judge them on a ruleset they were not aware of.

That's a problem with scoring fights by round. The last round should arguably be worth more than others because if a guy's dominating in round 5, it's likely he's less gassed and would have pulled ahead if the fight continued. Whoever loses the last round, unless it's really close, was basically saved by the time limit.

That's why I'm okay with GSP getting the nod over Hendricks. Even though Hendricks did more damage, he wasn't doing much in the fifth. It was clear that either GSP had better cardio or Hendricks blew his wad early and if the fight continued GSP probably would have pulled ahead. On the flip side, Shogun vs. Henderson 1 ended with Shogun taking over and it felt wrong for Hendo to get the win.

I'd feel good about it seeing as he won the fight.

Personally, I was glad Jon won, even though I always want to see him lose. The reason being, it's a championship fight and if you clearly lose last 2 rounds, I would be bothered by the challenger to take the belt. I know fights are scored per round, but it just feel wrong for the challenger to be losing championship rounds clearly and taking the belt from the champion. You are not showing championship spirit if you are wilting in the championship rounds, that's it. You shouldn't be mad at the decision after that. I just wouldn't be able to see Reyes as real champion.
I felt 48:47 Jon, possibly Reyes winning first 3, but I'm not mad.

edit:// PEOPLE, please, learn to fucking read with understanding. I'm asking about "FEELING" of giving a championship fight to guy who lost last 2 rounds. It's judging a fight as a "fight", and not as a sports contest (ala Pride). I'm not an idiot, I understand how current rules work. I know that if a guy wins 3:2 he technically wins. Jesus people. Start to read with understanding, I know it's hard.

About the same I feel about a hockey team winning a game despite being outscored in the last two periods.

MMA is a sport, not a fight. If it were a fight, then any fight that went the distance would be a draw -- that's how real fights work. If your enemy is still standing at the end of your fight or war, you haven't won. And in sports, if your opponent gets a big lead at the start and you can't catch up later, then you lost.

Personally, I was glad Jon won, even though I always want to see him lose. The reason being, it's a championship fight and if you clearly lose last 2 rounds, I would be bothered by the challenger to take the belt. I know fights are scored per round, but it just feel wrong for the challenger to be losing championship rounds clearly and taking the belt from the champion. You are not showing championship spirit if you are wilting in the championship rounds, that's it. You shouldn't be mad at the decision after that. I just wouldn't be able to see Reyes as real champion.
I felt 48:47 Jon, possibly Reyes winning first 3, but I'm not mad.

edit:// PEOPLE, please, learn to fucking read with understanding. I'm asking about "FEELING" of giving a championship fight to guy who lost last 2 rounds. It's judging a fight as a "fight", and not as a sports contest (ala Pride). I'm not an idiot, I understand how current rules work. I know that if a guy wins 3:2 he technically wins. Jesus people. Start to read with understanding, I know it's hard.

agreed. to be honest, MMA as we know it isnt a real fight. too many rules for it to be considered a real fight.
Honeslty, remove time restriction, remove rounds, remove judges. first one to quit or first to be finished loses.

People tend to overcomplicate simple shit. If One fighter comes on strong towards the beginning and fades drastically while the other comes on strong looking like he could finish if given more time, guess who judges tend to favor? Who gives a shit who agrees with the championship round theory. It's a fact of human perception

I've seen much worse championship scoring then this e.g GSP x Hendericks, Edger x Bendo This fight the arguable round is round 2. Round 4,5 Jones round 1, 3 Reyes. Round 2 is the swing round.

Championship rounds matter more than regular rounds. But Jones lost that fight.

No rounds matter more than any other.

Each round is scored separately, win the majority of the rounds and you win the fight. The only time a Champion should have any advanatage over scoring is in a very close round the Champion should be given the node for that round. Rounds 1-3 were competitive enough but they were not close, Reyes won them. Winning three rounds >>> then winning two rounds and thus he deserved the win under MMA rules BUT the judges sucked that event and instead he ended up with the L.

Man, learn how to read with understanding. Did I say anything about guy not winning after winning 3 rounds? I said that I get it, it's scored per round. But I asked about overall FEELING of seeing a guy as a champion if clearly lost 2 championship rounds, last rounds are not more important in today's scoring and I know that. But it tells you who was better at the end of the fight, which is how you would judge a fight, not a
Man, learn how to read with understanding. Did I say anything about guy not winning after winning 3 rounds? I said that I get it, it's scored per round. But I asked about overall FEELING of seeing a guy as a champion if clearly lost 2 championship rounds, last rounds are not more important in today's scoring and I know that. But it tells you who was better at the end of the fight, which is how you would judge a fight, not a sports contest.
It's hard to say with this view point, because do you applaud the fighter who had the foresight to conserved his energy to look good in the later rounds? Or do you applaud the fighter who put a lot of effort in the early rounds and winning them, but slowing down considerably in the later rounds, therefore not looking good?
I get what you're saying though.

Personally, I was glad Jon won, even though I always want to see him lose. The reason being, it's a championship fight and if you clearly lose last 2 rounds, I would be bothered by the challenger to take the belt. I know fights are scored per round, but it just feel wrong for the challenger to be losing championship rounds clearly and taking the belt from the champion.

Yes I too prefer Pride rules.

But how would you feel about the champ being punked for the first 15 minutes and only fighting back for 10?

This is why I don't mind the decision, even though I had Reyes winning... I hate it when the guy that looks defeated at the ends gets the decision.

Back