How would you compare Alex Pereira's striking with Jan's?

GUY

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think Israel vs Jan will be mostly Stand-up and Alex Pereira was the last guy to beat Israel. They are both big powerful guys (seems like Pereira is a little bigger). How do you compare them?

I don't think Pereira has anyone remotely comparable, power wise, at 185 and 205 in the UFC.

Guess that settles it, i think they should cancel the fight and rely on striking math
I think it's an interesting question because Jan's chance imo is landing a Knock Out. And it happened to Israel before.

I don't think Pereira has anyone remotely comparable, power wise, at 185 and 205 in the UFC.
Anthony Johnson maybe? (not UFC right now, I know). Still Anthony is a lot less technical.

Jan may be able to sneak in a left hook but on paper he is not comparable to Pereira. Just beautiful punches

Pereira is a way better and more polished striker than Jan. He is creative with his striking, he got very dangerous knees up the middle. he also got an excellent chin and in some fights he completely disregards his opponent's power and just keeps his hands low, for example, his latest fight against Vakhitov you can see this. I would say that Adesanya is actually a better striker than Pereira, however, Pereira is more durable.

Jan is not as durable as Pereira and he does not have the striking of Pereira. Jan is a jack-of-all-trades type of MMA fighter. He's not completely lost anywhere, but he's also not phenomenal at anything either. Wherever the fight goes, Jan got a chance to win, however, if this fight is mostly striking, We will see him eating leg kicks from Adesanya, who will stay on the outside and not gamble with Jan's power, and when Jan loses his patience he will rush in and get caught. That is my official prediction.

In terms of actual technical ability theres multiple levels between them. But this is 4oz gloves with grappling and no counts after a knockdown, you cant afford to be complacent, anyone can get slept.

Pereira is a way better and more polished striker than Jan. He is creative with his striking, he got very dangerous knees up the middle. he also got an excellent chin and in some fights he completely disregards his opponent's power and just keeps his hands low, for example, his latest fight against Vakhitov you can see this. I would say that Adesanya is actually a better striker than Pereira, however, Pereira is more durable.

Jan is not as durable as Pereira and he does not have the striking of Pereira. Jan is a jack-of-all-trades type of MMA fighter. He's not completely lost anywhere, but he's also not phenomenal at anything either. Wherever the fight goes, Jan got a chance to win, however, if this fight is mostly striking, We will see him eating leg kicks from Adesanya, who will stay on the outside and not gamble with Jan's power, and when Jan loses his patience he will rush in and get caught with a counter hook. That is my official prediction.
seems good, just don't think he will rush in and think it will a slightly boring decision for Israel. I think Jan's best chance would be to just jump him Ngannou style as soon as the fight starts, but I don't think he will do it.

seems good, just don't think he will rush in and think it will a slightly boring decision for Israel. I think Jan's best chance would be to just jump him Ngannou style as soon as the fight starts, but I don't think he will do it.
Yea I can see Jan not rushing in either and just eat leg kicks the entire fight. It can actually end up being a very similar fight to the Adesanya/Romero fight. Because I do think Adesanya respects Jan's power and wants nothing to do with him in the pocket. It does seem like Jan is more aware not to just rush in like he used to do back in the day. At the same time, I don't see him outstriking Adesanya and we have seen that Adesanya is completely fine with not giving his opponents any opportunity to land that one big punch on him and will instead just stay on the outside throwing leg kicks.

Reyes started to lose his patience vs Jan and decided to close the distance and it ended up with Jan countering him beautifully. So There is a possibility that Adesanya closes the distance like he did vs Romero and that is where Jan can have a good chance to land big on him. Otherwise, I feel like he should really try to force the grappling.

Jan is a longtime black belt. Israel is a blue belt in BJJ

I think this takes place largely on the ground. Who wins there?

Jan is not very explosive with his takedowns and Israel moves fast. I don't even think Jan is going to try it, to be honest. Big risk of getting caught coming in. Also BJJ black belt is a huge advantage over someone who doesn't know BJJ. Over a purple belt, it's just a small advantage.

He's a purple belt under Andre Galvao now, he wouldn't have been given that for free.

Jones was a white belt when he submitted Vitor so it really is a pinch of salt you have to take them for sometimes. Pettis was white when he subbed Bendo I think aswell. Anything could happen.

Yoel - olympic wrestler
Costa - BB in BJJ
Whit - BB in BJJ
Gas - BB in 10 planet JJ (look into it!)
Brunson and Vettori - brown belts and wrestlers

Also, Jan struggled in the clinch with old Jacare, who was much smaller.
Yes, aware of the fact Jacare is 4th degree BB, doesn't really matter.

Back