How would Tyrell Fortune do in the UFC?

You can argue the merits of different training camps, but Tyrell trains to be something he will never be. If you look at Curtis Blaydes, he trains tons of wrestling at a camp known for their wrestling. Curtis knows he's a wrestler and has embraced that for better or worse. He obviously is improving his striking too, but the core of his camp is still wrestling. Fortune trains at a camp that focuses on striking, and he seems to default to trying to strike with guys.

Coaches will differ in opinions, but some will take a guy with great wrestling and say, ok, we've got the wrestling part down, all we need to do is focus on striking and some BJJ. I think what we're seeing is that at high levels, especially at HW, you need to focus on what you're good at first and foremost. If Tyrell moves to a wrestling heavy camp, and starts to dominate guys like we've seen Blaydes do, then I think he's got a shot at being a top 10 guy. Right now though, people are still bragging he's beating up pro boxers in the gym. It reminds me of Josh Koscheck after he started to put too much faith in his hands.

He would beat everyone in the top 5...anyone that thinks otherwise has no clue about the fight GAME

If he would only stop losing to guys that aren’t even top 15, I’m sure he would go on a tear if he could only get there….

If he would only stop losing to guys that aren’t even top 15, I’m sure he would go on a tear if he could only get there….
Oof, that poor guy’s post didn’t age well at all.

In hindsight, dude was the product of Rich Chou’s awful matchmaking/scouting. Nothing more and nothing less.

Thread aged like milk.

Fortune lost top a 40 years old journeyman and people still think he could be top 15? lol

Thread aged like milk.

Fortune lost top a 40 years old journeyman and people still think he could be top 15? lol
Like mentioned before. If he makes the necessary changes there's always a possibility. We've seen guys do more with less so it's definitely not out of the question.

Back