How would Tony Ferguson do going up to Welterweight?

suppose Tony Ferguson loses to Khabib via submission
and Tony Ferguson goes up to WW to try his luck.. how successful would he be?
Tony used to knock people out at WW and he said once he came to LW the opponent got alot faster
how would his bottom game be against a guy like Usman or Colby
Well, seeing as 2 guys he beat moved up and got near a titleshot, i'd say quite well.

He has the biggest frame at LW and is a weight bully so I think he'd do good.

He has the length to do pretty well at WW and with no real weakness I think he'd be a top 5 at least.

If he handles Khabib then I'd say he can be WW champ too because really if you can overcome wrestling the top 2 WWs don't do much else.

If he struggles with Khabib, then I'd have to change that analysis because the wrestling at the top of the WW division is just as good as Khabib's but with even bigger fighters.

he beat a lot of tough guys. He is the nightmare match up for colby for example. He obviously beat masvidal, RDA, lawler etc. The edwards and thomson fight are going to be very hard, but he can absolutely outpace them.
the woodley fight is either a vicious KO in the 1st round by woodley, or one of the worst beat down for 25 minutes by tony ...
Usman beat tony SIMPLE, too big, too strong, doesn't take risks in the grappling department.
I like Tony's chances better than most current WWs.

With Tony's length and elite striking from distance, Usman would have no choice but to take some risks and shoot for takedowns from pretty far out. Otherwise he'd get boxed from the outside for 5 rounds.

A striker with length who isn't afraid of wrestling is Usman's (and Colby's for that matter) worst possible matchup.

I think it would be harder for him but he would fare relatively well.

I like Tony's chances better than most current WWs.

With Tony's length and elite striking from distance, Usman would have no choice but to take some risks and shoot for takedowns from pretty far out. Otherwise he'd get boxed from the outside for 5 rounds.

A striker with length who isn't afraid of wrestling is Usman's (and Colby's for that matter) worst possible matchup.
Tony is a perfect match up to beat colby, better cardio, better striking, works the body which colby don't like at all.
Unlike usman or khabib, colby doesnt do much on the ground à la kevin lee, he just stay on the dude. he will be very susceptible to elbows and submission which he had showed in the past. He will probably stand back up. You don't want to be on the ground against tony ferguson if your grappling skills are not top notch ( colby's grappling is very low lvl compare to his wrestling ).

But usman is just too fucking BIG, too strong etc the size advantage will be huge ...

He'd probably do well. Most guys from the LW division have done well at WW. However, he'd never be champ. Kevin Lee slammed him and controlled a good bit of their fight. A guy like Usman would likely rag doll him, particularly if he cant get past Khabib. Also, bear in mind the guy is in his late 30s and has quite a bit of milage on him already.

Only thing that would concern me is the fact he gets rocked against guys at 155. 170 he’s gonna he in with larger guys, granted he will be larger and won’t have to cut weight also.

If lw wasn’t fucked up the past 3 years we could have seen him at 170 by now
I agree. The extra weight shouldn't be a problem for Tony. He's 6 foot tall and 35, and probably cuts a good amount of weight. he seems to have good cardio, so not cutting might help out even more. I could see him doing well on the feet against USman but not sure about the ground, even though he has a good bottom game. Woodley hits hard so if he just stands there with him, he'll not only get rocked but KO'd. he could be top 5

I'd want to see him against Poirier and Gaethje before he left. Both those fights have good potential for awesomeness.

He'd most likely do well at WW but I think he'd struggle at the very top against the grapplers.

honestly, I don't think he has the chin for it...if your chin is getting weaker at 155lbs, moving up in weight, and getting hit by bigger stronger guys might not be a good thing....pourier was able to do it...so who knows...but pourier was only ko'd once by conor at FW...tony has been hurt numerous times in fights...and was almost stopped by pettis...but then again, pettis was able to ko thompson. a guy who's never ever been ko'd...so maybe at times, pettis has really good power...

vs Colby and Usman would look like the beginning vs Lee. Just for 5 rounds.
Masvidal knocks him out, Edwards outpoints him. Thompson should win, too.
He beats RDA and the rest out of the top5

Tony used to knock people out at WW and he said once he came to LW the opponent got alot faster
He would still be ducking guys his own size. The son-of-a-bitch walks around at 210lbs so he would still be going down not "moving up" in weight. He should be fighting HW but, I know in the world of chickenshit MMA, I am not being a realist.

honestly, I don't think he has the chin for it...if your chin is getting weaker at 155lbs, moving up in weight, and getting hit by bigger stronger guys might not be a good thing....pourier was able to do it...so who knows...but pourier was only ko'd once by conor at FW...tony has been hurt numerous times in fights...and was almost stopped by pettis...but then again, pettis was able to ko thompson. a guy who's never ever been ko'd...so maybe at times, pettis has really good power...
Poirier was also ko'd by MJ at LW.
Poirier losses at LW are MJ and Khabib.

He would still be ducking guys his own size. The son-of-a-bitch walks around at 210lbs so he would still be going down not "moving up" in weight. He should be fighting HW but, I know in the world of chickenshit MMA, I am not being a realist.

you're saying that skinny tony is 210lbs? he's not even remotely close to that....he's a stick.

He has the length to do pretty well at WW and with no real weakness I think he'd be a top 5 at least.

If he handles Khabib then I'd say he can be WW champ too because really if you can overcome wrestling the top 2 WWs don't do much else.

If he struggles with Khabib, then I'd have to change that analysis because the wrestling at the top of the WW division is just as good as Khabib's but with even bigger fighters.

tony was getting murdered by lee, till lee gassed....tony gets taken down easy...

He'd take that belt too, wearing sunglasses the entire time. Tony 2020 LW + WW champ, deal with it #ChampShitOnly.

As always

He would entertain us !!!!!

I'd love to see it at this stage. Look how easily he dispatched RDA at altitude. Now imagine the pace he gets to put on after the ww cut instead of the 15 lbs to lw. Hed be a terminator
easily? RDA was winning until his eye got molested by Ferg. He deserved the win but it wasn't an easy win.

He'd beat Masvidal, would struggle against Edwards and lose to Colby and Usman.
I think he would do well against Colby honestly. Colby is a cardio machine but if someone has better cardio its Tony.

He would not be as highly ranked at 170 imo, but would be top 10 for sure. If he had time to pack on the muscle and still not lose any cardio, it would be great. Lee was handling him pretty easily tho before he gassed, so guys like colby or marty would present problems for him. Woodley would be another tough matchup if he showed up to fight. He is skinny at 155, and that's an advantage for khabib in that matchup, but gaining 15lbs wouldnt make him not skinny, so would also likely be advantageous for all the top wrestlers at 170

Back