How would Tony Ferguson do going up to Welterweight?

JAL

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
suppose Tony Ferguson loses to Khabib via submission
and Tony Ferguson goes up to WW to try his luck.. how successful would he be?
Tony used to knock people out at WW and he said once he came to LW the opponent got alot faster
how would his bottom game be against a guy like Usman or Colby

I think he'd do well at WW tbh. He has to put a lot of prep into getting into cut range for 155. I think he'd fill out nicely into the weight and still be very dangerous.

I'd want to see him against Poirier and Gaethje before he left. Both those fights have good potential for awesomeness.

He'd most likely do well at WW but I think he'd struggle at the very top against the grapplers.

he has fought at ww already did ok. pretty sure one of his losses or all but one was in ww

I think Tony would be good @WW he as a long lean body that easily can hold size and Tony has crazy movement that you don't see @WW Tony as incorporated his past break dancing experience into actual legitimate mma moves to evade and attack. The only fallback I see is that he does tend to get hit but his recover ability is also on another level, I love that crazy Tony (no homo)

He'd beat Masvidal, would struggle against Edwards and lose to Colby and Usman.

Tony Ferguson is the type of guy to take Masvidal out to eat and order a 3piece and soda

Only thing that would concern me is the fact he gets rocked against guys at 155. 170 he’s gonna he in with larger guys, granted he will be larger and won’t have to cut weight also.

If lw wasn’t fucked up the past 3 years we could have seen him at 170 by now

I'd love to see it at this stage. Look how easily he dispatched RDA at altitude. Now imagine the pace he gets to put on after the ww cut instead of the 15 lbs to lw. Hed be a terminator

i kinda see him beating Colby tbh but i dont know about Usman

he beat a lot of tough guys. He is the nightmare match up for colby for example. He obviously beat masvidal, RDA, lawler etc. The edwards and thomson fight are going to be very hard, but he can absolutely outpace them.
the woodley fight is either a vicious KO in the 1st round by woodley, or one of the worst beat down for 25 minutes by tony ...
Usman beat tony SIMPLE, too big, too strong, doesn't take risks in the grappling department.

He'd ankle pick their ass, just like he'd do to Werdum and anyone else

He's seems to thin to handle the WW size guys. Now maybe he can easily pack on some good functional muscle weight......or perhaps his body would just gain 10-15 pounds of useless fat weight instead.

I guess to me it depends on where his body likes to naturally sit. Some guys deplete themselves to stay at a smaller weight and do well moving up. Some guys are naturally thin/lean and moving up in weight is tough for them and not natural.

Obviously with his skill he's still EASILY a top 10 at WW probably higher.

Why can't we just have one stickie that says:

"How would (insert fighter) do at weight class (x+1)?"

And then all these fantasy conversations could happen in 1 place.

Ferguson vs Masvidal is the fight I most want to see in the UFC right now.

Back