How would Serra have fared as a lightweight circa 2009-2010?

Fight To Win

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He had a close fight in that UFC old school lightweight tournament with BJ Penn, who was champ from 2008-2010.

There were fights there for him. Veterans like Sherk. Fellow TUF guys like Florian and Sanchez.

What say you, sherdog??

He'd probably already have a tough time with the weight cut at that point.

He would have a hard time being top 5 imo...Which makes his TKO of prime GSP that much more impressive

Depends if he uses the same bottles of EPO, and other shiit against GSP.

Really don't think he would have made weight at that time but even hypothetically, I don't think he'd crack the top 10. He could definitely have some fun fights and would be a tough out for people but I really don't see him making much of an impact

Nah it was all over for Serra once the commissions started testing for oregano

Pretty good, I think he would be top 10(somewhere in the 5-10 range) but he would have issues in 5 round fights for sure.

A Sherk vs Serra fight always seemed intriguing to me.

Last edited:
It would have been interesting to see a Penn-Serra rematch during that era. Probably a 25 minute boxing match with Penn licking his own gloves at the end.

You guys are crazy. Many of you don't realize this, but Serra was technically the largest WW in the UFC at the time, having a walk around weight of over 200lbs.

People always acted like he was so small because at one time he was a LW. He started camp vs GSP at 205lbs, while GSP was 185, and people act like gsp had a huge size advantage.

Height isn't size

most of his record is decisions vs B fighters. he was nothing special. had good bjj, but almost never went for subs

It would have been interesting to see a Penn-Serra rematch during that era. Probably a 25 minute boxing match with Penn licking his own gloves at the end.

Yeah, Penn during those years had reached a level that very few lightweights could have ever matched. He would have beat Serra like he stole something.

Fights with Diego, Kenny, Sherk, and Joe Daddy would have been interesting though.

Serra wasn't even considered that good back in 2001-2004.

Back