How would Saul Alvarez fare against the four kings?

Hagler seems all wrong for Canelo to me. He wasn't just a plodding headhunter like Golovkin. I think Hagler stops him in a firefight. A slick boxer was bad news for Hagler and Canelo is pretty slick, but the wrong sort of slick.

He lost to a past his prime/end of prime Floyd, he’d lose to Leonard as well
Meh, I agree a lot of those guys beat him but Canelo is a lot better than when he fought Floyd.

Meh, I agree a lot of those guys beat him but Canelo is a lot better than when he fought Floyd.
And Floyd was a lot better when his hands weren’t as fragile

Yea if he's allowed to bring a baseball bat... And even then I'm not confident he catches Leonard.
This is 160lb 1987 Sugar Ray. The one that Hagler shouldve beaten but started off with a shit game plan.
Yea I think Canelo can stop that Sugar Ray.

50/50 with Hearns IMO. Easy to pick Hearns but if Canelo got inside on him he could do some good work.
I am not sure Canelo is the destroyer Hagler was.

Not enough activity to overwhelm Hearns which is what he'd need to do imo

I'd have him beating Duran because of the size difference and the fact that a 160 pound Duran was much more boxer-puncher than a pressure fighter (and that suits Canelo).

I think Leonard probably edges him in a close fight.

Hagler beats him clearly in a competitive fight.

The Hearns matchup is probably the most interesting. Hearns would outbox him for periods, but Hearns had questionable durability and could be countered. Canelo is an excellent counter puncher and good at methodically breaking guys down. I'd lean towards Hearns, but Canelo would have a real chance.

Guys like Kalambay and McCallum from that era would be very interesting as well. Both could beat Canelo.

Floyd would beat him tomorrow
source.gif

The only one he can beat is Duran because he'd be bigger than him. All the others he'd lose to. In order of severity, I think it would be Hearns, Leonard then Hagler.

canelo is no destroyer. the dude bottles up when he takes a good shot. hagler would demolish him.

Hagler would very likely beat him, but I don't know where you get that Canelo bottles up after taking a good shot.

Hagler would very likely beat him, but I don't know where you get that Canelo bottles up after taking a good shot.
Hes a clown. Pay him no mind. Hes said this before and I posted countless gifs of him eating bombs and firing right back and he moves the goal posts.

I'd have him beating Duran because of the size difference and the fact that a 160 pound Duran was much more boxer-puncher than a pressure fighter (and that suits Canelo).

I think Leonard probably edges him in a close fight.

Hagler beats him clearly in a competitive fight.

The Hearns matchup is probably the most interesting. Hearns would outbox him for periods, but Hearns had questionable durability and could be countered. Canelo is an excellent counter puncher and good at methodically breaking guys down. I'd lean towards Hearns, but Canelo would have a real chance.

Guys like Kalambay and McCallum from that era would be very interesting as well. Both could beat Canelo.
agree with all your breakdowns but IMO SRL and Duran both beat 154 Canelo (even when he was at his best at 154) fairly easily

I think all fights would be competitive.

He'd likely beat a Duran. Call me crazy, but i think he would be able to ko Hearns. He has the style to slip punches and take Hearns out on the inside.

I'd favor Hagler slightly, in a brutal technical slugfest simply because canelo has shown to gas late. Canelo winning isn't out of the question, though.

Based on style alone, id say Sugar Ray would do best against canelo. Leonard has the feet to give Canelo serious problems.

Historically, Canelo has struggled most against slick boxers(lara, floyd, trout). Leonard was one of the slickest of his time.

All that said, we are comparing the complete careers of 4 fighters to the career of a fighter who is literally in his prime. Canelo has plenty more to give. Things could change as Canelo's career progresses.

Back