How would prime Matt Hughes fare against the current WW top 5?

not well hughes was a smaller 170 as is 58 or 59 not good striking he had a good dump double but he wasnt known for chain wrestling and today u got to chain wrestle to be a good wrestler by todays talent

kevin lee has a better double than hughes hes basically hughes 2.0

He lost. Get over it. In the meantime read his book. There’s no excuse not to. Until you read it.
images

I'm not making excuses for him. I'm expressing shock and disbelief at the decision, as did most observers.

Big difference.

I'm not making excuses for him. I'm expressing shock and disbelief at the decision, as did most observers.

Big difference.
Close fight that either fighter could have won. Nothing really shocking either way. I watched it live and didn’t know if GSP did enough to win. Watched it more closely a few more times and actually scored it round by round. That first round really could go either way. But I feel GSP edged it out. Just my opinion.

Right lol wtf. Colby and Usman would get destroyed by GSP. Their tailor made to be beat by hi.. 50 45 both.
Not even sure how he got brought up in a Hughes thread, but yes, he would do what he did to everyone. Take them down at will and by round 4 they’d both quit trying to even defend the takedowns. I was never a big fan personally, just wasn’t a style I liked. But I won’t deny that no other WW beats him at his peak. Not even close. Not yet at least.

I get the feeling that many of the current posters were not watching when GSP was at his peak. Every opponent was going to be the new breed fighter that would beat him, and he would embarrass them at their own game. Every time.
Thiago alves was an absoloute monster. GSP wasnt some unbeatable GOAT at the time either and many peoppe picked alves to win.

He'd crush them, absolutely stratches Usman, KOs Colby, KOs Woodman, subs Jorge.

Hughes dominates them all 50-40 and decided whether or not he wants to finish the fight.

Not even sure how he got brought up in a Hughes thread, but yes, he would do what he did to everyone. Take them down at will and by round 4 they’d both quit trying to even defend the takedowns. I was never a big fan personally, just wasn’t a style I liked. But I won’t deny that no other WW beats him at his peak. Not even close. Not yet at least.
He ended up in this thread because every thread started by ts is an attempt to discredit GSP. He’s getting sneakier. Do you really think he was thinking about Hughes?
Basically his thinking is if GSP lost to Hughes and Hughes is seen as not being able to hang with today’s welterweights it says GSP couldn’t.
“How would Prime Matt Serra fare against today’s ww top 5?” was a little too obvious.

Thiago alves was an absoloute monster. GSP wasnt some unbeatable GOAT at the time either and many peoppe picked alves to win.
I saw Alves batter Kos live. Same night Junior knocked out Werdum and Andy broke Cote’s leg. Alves was a straight killer.

I saw Alves batter Kos live. Same night Junior knocked out Werdum and Andy broke Cote’s leg. Alves was a straight killer.
I lost 20$ that night . Thought Alves would stuff him all night and batter him

I lost 20$ that night . Thought Alves would stuff him all night and batter him
I won big on Junior. He was a heavy dog, and almost every handicapper was taking the young guy at blackhouse, given their record at the Time. I followed suit. Ironically, Hughes walked around because it was the first ufc Chicago, and he shook almost everyone’s hand that was interested. Guida did the same.

Of course someone has to derail the thread on the first page with a reference to GSP...

And it would have made for an interesting discussion on how Hughes’s skills apply to modern standards.

Oh well.

Wrestling, boxing, etc, have been around for a 1000 years. I do not know why people keep saying MMA has massively changed in 10 years. Hughes wrestling and power would still give all those guys problems. I dunno who would win.
GrimDeadlyGroundhog-size_restricted.gif

He would do better than most think. Wrestling hasn’t evolved so much that his wrestling would get dominated by “today’s” wrestling. I’d rank him close to 5. I think he could take Usman, Masvidal and Woodly. And I like the GSP would smoke them all, but Hughes would get beat down! Huges did actually make GSP quit once upon a time.

Back