How would prime Matt Hughes fare against the current WW top 5?

Ts and his never ending but sometimes creative attacks on GSP. He’s the Wile E. Coyote of sherdog.

Not really a fair comparison. Hughes came up in the early days. The sport of course has evolved since his hay day but that in no way diminishes his accomplishments. He was one of the best of his era no doubt. He fought and beat all the top guys at that time, and that's all that can reasonably be expected. It's not like he could get in a time machine and travel forward to fight the modern guys.

I'll make this easy - hed go 0 for 10 in top 10 with maybe MAYBE getting a " look what I found " win .... so maybe 1/10.
Top 5 would just be a punchline .

That should pretty much do it....and it was easy

And the top WWs now are way better...as was Hendricks. Which is why he abused a then only 32 year old GSP.
Yeah that “only 32 year old” who had blown out both acl’s and still was stronger in the 5th round. The 32 year old who won.

Ts and his never ending but sometimes creative attacks on GSP. He’s the Wile E. Coyote of sherdog.
I get the feeling that many of the current posters were not watching when GSP was at his peak. Every opponent was going to be the new breed fighter that would beat him, and he would embarrass them at their own game. Every time.

And the top WWs now are way better...as was Hendricks. Which is why he abused a then only 32 year old GSP.
If you think that was peak GSP, you have only read about the GSP era.

People are much better fighters now.

If you think that was peak GSP, you have only read about the GSP era.

Hendricks is just way better than Fitch, Alves, or Hardy. Easily shut down GSPs blast double wigh an underhook.

Woodley KOs any version of GSP

Hendricks is just way better than Fitch, Alves, or Hardy. Easily shut down GSPs blast double wigh an underhook.

Woodley KOs any version of GSP
He’s the only guy I give a chance. It wouldn’t be that easy, and George no longer had his double when he fought Hendricks.

Just like Royce was great in his time... the same applies to Matt Hughes. He was a juggernaut in his own right. But the sport evolved.... Just about everyone of the elites at WW would be as good if not better at wrestling than him. And ALL of them have better striking. It's just a completely different sport.... This doesn't demean what he was able to do in his time. But there's a reason no one stays on top forever. Time... sport evolving. His skills set would fall victim to it all the same. GSP was an example of a modern MMA great when they fought. And many could argue before the armbar GSP was dominating even the first fight. And I think GSP would suffer a similar fate to the new age of WW's.

While I said earlier all the top WWs would beat Hughes (if you exclude Masvidal, probably literally all of them), it's also clear that relative to era Hughes has the 2nd best resume in MMA history at WW. A distant second, but still...

Usman: 50-43 or possibly TKO win for Usman

Woodley: KO win for Woodley inside two rounds

Colby: 50-45 win for Colby

Masvidal: 50/50, all comes down to if Matt has the cardio to wrestle for 5 rounds. Mas would sleep him once they stood for a few minutes

Edwards: 50-45/49-46 win for Edwards. Better cardio, striking, and larger

What do you guys think? The game and division has evolved a lot since Matt’s best days
Better question is who wins if current post train Hughes against current wife beating, drunk coke binging BJ Penn?

He beat the crap out of GSP.

Everyone knows it.
He lost. Get over it. In the meantime read his book. There’s no excuse not to. Until you read it.
images

Loses to the top 5 inside of the cage, but pounds them all behind the barn.

Back