How would Prime Anderson Silva do against the current UFC MW division?

How would Prime Anderson Silva do against the current UFC MW division?

• Total voters
You say MMA math...then where are your arguments? That they "look sloppy" to your eyes? Give me a technical input or something on why Elias and Tavares, or Bispong, are in a superior level than Franklin
I never said Elias and Tavares were superior to Franklin...

Bisping beat Anderson, whereas Franilin got wrecked twice by him.
Obviously that was prime Anderson, but Silva was still a very good fighter against Bisping and despite the knee couldn't manage to beat Bisping.
I also said it was close between Bisping and Franklin, didn't i?

Izzy is Silva lite, he wanted to be more and tried but these guys today are just too good.

Bisping beat Anderson, whereas Franilin got wrecked twice by him.
Obviously that was prime Anderson, but Silva was still a very good fighter against Bisping and despite the knee couldn't manage to beat Bisping.

A win over Tavares or Theodorou puts you right up there in the UFC top10 MW rankings. You laughed at the idea of Franklin - and Bisping, it seems - be right up there.

A win over Tavares or Theodorou puts you right up there in the UFC top10 MW rankings. You laughed at the idea of Franklin - and Bisping, it seems - be right up there.
Fair enough mate.
That round goes to you.

Appreciate that you took the time and discuss with me despite different views on the matter.

Belfort was going into the Silva fight with 17 months of inactivity, and after losing he evolved his game by utilizing more kicks, so to suggest he was at his "peak" in any regard is easily disputed.

"Vitor Belfort reportedly began testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT, in 2011, after Anderson Silva landed an iconic finishing kick to his face in a middleweight title fight."
https://deadspin.com/a-sketchy-drug-test-didn-t-stop-vitor-belfort-from-figh-1717739475

This is the Belfort that fought Silva in 2011:
129095208.1369083964.jpg

This is the Belfort who we know was on TRT at the time:
vitor-belfort-poses-for-a-portrait-on-september-19-2012-in-toronto-picture-id152398262
Ok, but those abs wouldn't have stopped the kick and vitor was still in great shape for the silva fight.
Bisping beat Anderson, whereas Franklin got wrecked twice by him.
That is more MMA math

Obviously Anderson was old, but adding 2 or 3 years to his actual age (if not done by accident) isn't fair, especially for a guy like you who knows how to argue, it just comes off as a bit dickish (again, only if done intentional, i guess it was by accident in your case).

I don't know if we can fully get on the same page about that fight...
I'm not sure if Izzy would've ran through him if it was absolute prime Izzy/if he took the fight more serious, but i'm also 100% sure that Anderson aged incredibly well.
Aside from that, Silva happens to be a southpaw, and thus a bit of an awkward match up for Izzy.

And jfyi, i'm still considering Andy the GOAT at 185, so i'm honestly not trying to shit on him, but i'd hope it doesn't come across as if that's my intention anyways.
Oh don't worry, you don't seem like you are trying to shit on him.

And lol, I legit thought Andy was like 45 or 44 when he fought Izzy. I looked it up just now and I guess he was 43 when he fought Izzy? Sorry about that, I thought he was older than he actually is. I agree that could come across as dickish, so apologies for the mistake.

I think striking wise Izzy was in his prime, but probably wasn't as confident BJJ wise as he is nowadays. I'm still of the opinion that he took that fight seriously, and did try to finish the fight on a couple of occasions, but maybe he didn't go as hard as he could.

I agree with you on the southpaw point, and that is part of the reason why I think Anderson would beat Izzy in his prime.

Champ. No doubt. Prime Anderson would be a top 3 grappler vs. current and by far the best, most durable, striker.

Forgot to say: i can see why you'd rank Hendo and Vitor above Jan striking-wise (pound-for-pound) but none of these guys had 20 pounds on Israel.

I think the Hendo and the Vitor Silva faced would've lost to Izzy; i consider them to be easier match ups for Izzy by quite a margin, personally.
Hmm, I think Vitor would have had a decent shot at Izzy, and Hendo got beaten by Andy on the ground, its not like Izzy could take Hendo down. I say Hendo vs Izzy is 40/60 Izzy favoured.

Somewhere between top 5-10, he became exposed once he started facing the talented middleweight strikers of today. Inb4age, jan is champ at 39, silva has no excuses after enjoying a career juiced up and without suffering concussion ko's before getting embarrassed by weidman.
weidman got lucky 2 times against 38 y old anderson

Anderson fought a much lower level of competition overall, but he'd still do well. He'd lose to Adesanya, Whittaker unless he fights the same way he fought against Adesanya, Gastelum, might lose to Cannonier again, but would probably beat the rest.

he d smoke everyone except maybe prime romero

aren t gastelum vettori and even jan some times brawlers
I mean in the testing pool he would be top 5/10, he was great to watch, but he was in the ped era, plus he got popped multiple times and 90% of his record was against BJJ guys and Leben style brawlers, great fighter but he wouldnt be champion.

He would be just as dominant.
Anderson%20Silva%20dan%C3%A7a%20Michael%20Jackson.jpg

Another question: How would Adesanya do against prime Chael Sonnen? <TheWire1>

Back