How would prime (2006-08) Anderson Silva fare against the current MW top 5?

I wonder how old the people are that are saying Whittaker and Costa would beat Silva. Prime Silva was by far more technical than any of the current top 5 and when he was the champ he was so much stronger mentally than any of those guys currently are. I think he would finish all of the top 5 except Adesanya. I think prime Silva would do to Adesanya, what he did to old Silva and win a UD.
you have such little likes because of such stupid posts like this, playboy.

<BC1>

Whittaker: TKO’d by wonderboy, I believe Silva would snipe him. He has a good chin though so TKO/KO win for Silva inside 3 rounds.

Adensanya: Izzy was too shook to commit to power strikes vs a 44 year old Silva, that’s all you need to know about a fight with prime Silva. Silva TKO/KO win inside 2 rounds. Maybe Izzy could evade the knockout but would lose a decision easily

Costa: possibly the toughest mat hip due to his elite chin and ferocity. A bit too reckless though, Silva makes him miss too much and he gassed out. TKO/KO win inside 3 rounds.

Romero: Silva TKO/KO’s him After he gasses from panic wrestling. Or Silva wins a clear decision out pointing him.

Gastelum: too short, wouldn’t even touch Silva. He might be able to land some takedowns but would ultimately get triangle’d after gassing, or TKO’d On the feet. If Izzy can drop kelvin multiple times prime Silva definitely finishes him.

Let’s see some fight analysis from you guys. How would prime Silva (06-08) fare against the current top 5?

Everyone would beat him.

Whittaker: TKO’d by wonderboy, I believe Silva would snipe him. He has a good chin though so TKO/KO win for Silva inside 3 rounds.

Adensanya: Izzy was too shook to commit to power strikes vs a 44 year old Silva, that’s all you need to know about a fight with prime Silva. Silva TKO/KO win inside 2 rounds. Maybe Izzy could evade the knockout but would lose a decision easily

Costa: possibly the toughest mat hip due to his elite chin and ferocity. A bit too reckless though, Silva makes him miss too much and he gassed out. TKO/KO win inside 3 rounds.

Romero: Silva TKO/KO’s him After he gasses from panic wrestling. Or Silva wins a clear decision out pointing him.

Gastelum: too short, wouldn’t even touch Silva. He might be able to land some takedowns but would ultimately get triangle’d after gassing, or TKO’d On the feet. If Izzy can drop kelvin multiple times prime Silva definitely finishes him.
Do the current MW's also get no USADA? Also Silva only had a prime for 3 years? How come? What about his losses to Chonan and Takese before that? He was 28-29 years old with those losses.

Let’s see some fight analysis from you guys. How would prime Silva (06-08) fare against the current top 5?

Prime ando was a beast peds or not . I agree he smokes this current top 5

Anderson would stop all of them
If Yoel had a better top game and decided to stick with wrestling a little more he’d have a decent shot.
But prime Andy is two steps ahead striking wise then everyone that ever competed in this sport.

Prime Silva beats every MW and LHW who ever lived except perhaps Jones

Great topic. Here are my thoughts. My assumptions are that this is Prime Silva and that the fighters mentioned below are as they are now and not their past versions.

1) Whittaker - Tough call to be honest. Could go either way. I feel like Silva would win the early rounds but Whittaker's heart would keep him in the game and maybe turn it around in the championship rounds. Round 3 would be the decider for me. The Aussie in me wants to go with Whittaker but it honestly could go either way. Silva KO/TKO within the first 3 rounds or Whittaker 48-47.

2) Adesanya - Silva by KO/TKO. This is the easiest one to call. Sure, Adesanya beat him when they fought but it wasn't a blowout IIRC. Prime Silva takes him out clean.

3) Costa - I'm a believer after the Romero fight. I feel that Silva would fight smart against Costa, knowing that staying in the pocket with a monster like Costa who has heavy hands and an iron chin would be suicide, and most likely try to gas him out. I think Silva subs an exhausted Costa in the championship rounds after having a tough early fight.

4) Romero - Romero KOs Silva and it would look very similar to the Machida fight. A 3rd round bloody KO after not much activity in the first two rounds. (I think the first 2 rounds weren't that eventful. Correct me if I'm wrong Sherbros).

5) Gastelum - I think Silva decisions him. Silva would stay out of Kelvin's range and pick him from the outside.

TLDR
Silva wins against Adesanya, Costa and Gastelum
Silva loses against Whittaker and Romero

Thanks guys and until next time.

you have such little likes because of such stupid posts like this, playboy.

<BC1>
Actually no, this was my first post in over 6 years on sherdog. I actually have a life and dont live on forums like you bud.

He does ok

I think he loses to Whittaker and Adesanya but beats the rest

Anderson most likely beats them all. Someone like Jacare to me always had the best chance against Silva due to his grappling, however Jacare is past it at this point. That being said Romero probably has the best shot of all those listed. I still think Anderson is far and away a better striker than anyone in the MW top 5. Some of the responses in this thread are embarrassing, talking about a 40 year old man like he's in his "Prime".

I’m not a silva fan but don’t see him losing to any of those guys. I think his worst matchups would be, in their prime, Weismann, jacare, and maybe Tim Kennedy. I’d say rockhold too but he’s too chinny

He would do well and be very competitive but claiming he would undoubtedly finish Costa, Romero, Whittaker or Gastelum (by strikes not sub) is pure fiction. Yes there's always a chance with prime Andy but those are very tough matchups for him and I'd bet on a decision win or sub in his favor if anything.

Last edited:
At the top 5s current state i would have Prime Silva as the favorite in all 5 matches. I think Prime Romero would be a favorite over prime Silva. If i had to handicap each match I'd go

Whittaker 30%
Romero 35%
Izzy 15%
Kelvin 5%
Costa 10%

I think Prime Silva was just to good and most of these guys fight in a way that Silva would have loved

Whittaker, Costa, Romero are the only 3 who could make it a fight. Whittaker out works him for a decision, Costa would most likely struggle in the later rounds if he cannot knock out Silva. Yoel probably gets Anderson down and controls him for a decision.

I’m not a silva fan but don’t see him losing to any of those guys. I think his worst matchups would be, in their prime, Weismann, jacare, and maybe Tim Kennedy. I’d say rockhold too but he’s too chinny
lmao at Tim Kennedy. He would get absolutely destroyed by Silva.

Prime Silva had lots of trouble in the division he was in....

He won a number of consecutive fights, but they were filled will horrible and embarrassing performances and the division was very much lacking during he prime.

There is no objective person who truly thinks he would fare well.

lmao at Tim Kennedy. He would get absolutely destroyed.

There is very little you grasp about this sport if you don't understand Kennedy would have had very little trouble with Silva. He's a horrific match up for him.

Back