How would one measure the influence of "social justice warriors"?

"You can tell btw that she doesn't like the conclusions of her own study when she keeps saying more research needs to be done"

I've read plenty of studies where that caveat is added. Unlike Ben most researchers have humility and attempt to be aware of the limitations of their own research. And beyond that part of the point of research isn't just to provide an answer but to raise more question for research. Shapiro confirmed for not reading science journals (unless it confirms his POV).
Hm, this is one of the most blatent ad-hominem comments I've seen in a while.
What about the substance of what's being discussed? Instead of the study causing further research they ax it and then apologized for publishing it.

This is exactly what the title of this thread addresses.

"[T]he School... has heard from Brown community members expressing concerns that the conclusions of the study could be used to discredit efforts to support transgender youth and invalidate the perspectives of members of the transgender community."

Brown statement on gender dysphoria study

Jesse Singal
@jessesingal

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
2/ The honesty here is noteworthy. Researchers can publish findings that support the "born this way" storyline (which plenty of trans people themselves disagree with) all day long with no problems. Anything else will be careful picked apart for signs of "harmfulness."

Jesse Singal
@jessesingal

·
Aug 28

3/ "[T]he School... has heard from community members expressing concerns that the conclusions could be used to discredit efforts to support Y and invalidate the perspectives of Z" could be used as justification to discredit just about any interesting social science study

KC Johnson
@kcjohnson9

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
This is incredible--a dean attacking, in a schoolwide letter, the published research of a professor who doesn't have the protections of tenure.

1 more reply

thefutureisstupid

@stupid_future

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
Weird how the left can claim “climate change deniers” are anti-science but pulling scientific research they consider “harmful” is ok? They are literally denying science they disagree with.

Taylor Boyd

@boyd_tfairboyd

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
and
@benshapiro
Ah the lefts’ tenuous relationship with truth and science. The are medieval in makeup and attitude.

Jacob Alperin-Sheriff

@DemocraticLuntz

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
So are there actual scientific concerns beyond triggering people?

1 more reply

Marcus Grady

@realslimgrady__

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
and
@benshapiro
Hurry, get rid of all oppositional science! It's corrupting the youth!

Mike

@grorc

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
Yeah, sometimes the scientific process reveals things that go against what one believes.

What about the substance of what's being discussed? Instead of the study causing further research they ax it and then apologized for publishing it.
I'm not saying Shaprio's wrong, if the events happened as he describes(which I can more or less believe though I am skeptical of his accounts given how blatantly partisan he is) then yeah its wrong. I just wanted to zero in on that comment.

Besides its not really an ad-hominem. I wasn't primarily criticizing Ben himself and then dismissing what he said but in fact addressing something he said in that video and then shitting on him on the basis of that.

Trust me dude, I'm into some shit on the internet.

I interact with self proclaimed Nazis on the internet. I've been in Nazi political discords. I also play Rust.

Sherdog is just the tip of the internet iceberg and there are actual neo-nazis here, too. I'll troll with the word a bit, but I can spot the real Nazis/racists. They might even be in this thread.
Lol thanks for this I needed a laugh.

The wall of text I posted in defense of rip's point.

The wall of text in which you said that slavery might not be bad because some slaves had great lives? Lol.

Once you strip somebody of their freedom, it's evil. Even if you strip them of all their freedom, but provide them with riches, it's still evil. Stealing someone's freedom is wrong, 100% of the time. Humans should have the right to control their own lives.

I'm not sure how this could be hard for anybody to agree with. If you think it can somehow be okay to own a slave, then there's something deeply wrong.

Evergreen State University is feelings the affects of the SJW movement, with a whopping 300 incoming freshmen

The wall of text in which you said that slavery might not be bad because some slaves had great lives? Lol.

Once you strip somebody of their freedom, it's evil. Even if you strip them of all their freedom, but provide them with riches, it's still evil. Stealing someone's freedom is wrong, 100% of the time. Humans should have the right to control their own lives.

I'm not sure how this could be hard for anybody to agree with. If you think it can somehow be okay to own a slave, then there's something deeply wrong.
Okay.

...on campus or elsewhere?

I just opened up Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff's book The Coddling of the American Mind and did a quick scan to see if they provide a precise measurement for the increased influence of their "three bad ideas" on American campuses. Here's what they say:

The language of the bolded is a little ambiguous because it seems to imply that the "Great Untruths" are precursors to the subsequently mentioned problems, but the corresponding sections of the book actually show the opposite: that the problems are collectively causing belief in the untruths to proliferate.

While the book does do the job of discussing and contextualizing some of the bigger on-campus events (that you would have heard about on here anyway), there aren't many actual metrics when it comes to demonstrating an increasing trend that's worthy of alarm, and there's no metric at all for the consequences beyond campus. The two graphs they do provide show an increasing number of invited speakers being cancelled due to protest, and the increasing proportion of liberal viewpoints among professors.

So here's my question: I think both sides should be able to agree that the number of headlines produced by a phenomenon is not an ideal measure of the actual influence of the phenomenon (unless you're open to believing, as a consequence, that Trump's crass personality and gender diversity are the two leading problems of this generation) - so what other metrics are superior?

Here are some I've considered:
  • the number of students enrolled in "social justice"-associated post-secondary programs
  • the number of laws passed enforcing "social justice" positions
  • the number of people expressing sympathies or allegiances to "social justice" positions
  • the number of votes going to "social justice" politicians
  • the amount of money going to "social justice" brands

Since the treacherous influence of the "social-justice left" seems to be such a meaningful, partisan issue, it seems like it would be a good idea to have the true risk properly measured. How do we do it?

I think you will find little meaningful discussion on this topic, because of how it is framed.

If you talk about SJW Orwellian speak, you just get the knuckle dragging right, to come spit their low info Orwellian BS.

If you did a similiar thread on Orwellian speak, for flag waivers, or free market utopianists, you would draw out the inverse knuckle dragging, low info, Orwellian left to spit their BS.

If you want actual intelligent discourse, you would need to talk about how this Orwellian speak has invaded all parts of our politics. The problem is, that then you will get the educated disagreeing in very small degrees, and largely agreeing, while the low info knuckle draggers will stay away, as they know they are outmatched.

This isn't just a problem of this topic. It is a problem of all political debates today.

This is exactly what the title of this thread addresses.

"[T]he School... has heard from Brown community members expressing concerns that the conclusions of the study could be used to discredit efforts to support transgender youth and invalidate the perspectives of members of the transgender community."

Brown statement on gender dysphoria study

Jesse Singal
@jessesingal

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
2/ The honesty here is noteworthy. Researchers can publish findings that support the "born this way" storyline (which plenty of trans people themselves disagree with) all day long with no problems. Anything else will be careful picked apart for signs of "harmfulness."

Jesse Singal
@jessesingal

·
Aug 28

3/ "[T]he School... has heard from community members expressing concerns that the conclusions could be used to discredit efforts to support Y and invalidate the perspectives of Z" could be used as justification to discredit just about any interesting social science study

KC Johnson
@kcjohnson9

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
This is incredible--a dean attacking, in a schoolwide letter, the published research of a professor who doesn't have the protections of tenure.

1 more reply

thefutureisstupid

@stupid_future

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
Weird how the left can claim “climate change deniers” are anti-science but pulling scientific research they consider “harmful” is ok? They are literally denying science they disagree with.

Taylor Boyd

@boyd_tfairboyd

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
and
@benshapiro
Ah the lefts’ tenuous relationship with truth and science. The are medieval in makeup and attitude.

Jacob Alperin-Sheriff

@DemocraticLuntz

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
So are there actual scientific concerns beyond triggering people?

1 more reply

Marcus Grady

@realslimgrady__

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
and
@benshapiro
Hurry, get rid of all oppositional science! It's corrupting the youth!

Mike

@grorc

·
Aug 28

Replying to
@jessesingal
Yeah, sometimes the scientific process reveals things that go against what one believes.

Like when every intelligence report that has studied the issue, says our relationship with Israel does not benefit the US.

Or the studies that have proven trickle down economics is failed ideology.

The left in this country sucks, the right is just as bad.

Stop lining up with a team of losers folks.

How bad your life is going + how much of your news you get from youtube x the number of women who won't sleep with you because you don't understand social cues.

It's science.

Back