Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

How would one measure the influence of "social justice warriors"?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Tycho Brah, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Tycho Brah You drink water, I drink anarchy Platinum Member

...on campus or elsewhere?

I just opened up Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff's book The Coddling of the American Mind and did a quick scan to see if they provide a precise measurement for the increased influence of their "three bad ideas" on American campuses. Here's what they say:

The language of the bolded is a little ambiguous because it seems to imply that the "Great Untruths" are precursors to the subsequently mentioned problems, but the corresponding sections of the book actually show the opposite: that the problems are collectively causing belief in the untruths to proliferate.

While the book does do the job of discussing and contextualizing some of the bigger on-campus events (that you would have heard about on here anyway), there aren't many actual metrics when it comes to demonstrating an increasing trend that's worthy of alarm, and there's no metric at all for the consequences beyond campus. The two graphs they do provide show an increasing number of invited speakers being cancelled due to protest, and the increasing proportion of liberal viewpoints among professors.

So here's my question: I think both sides should be able to agree that the number of headlines produced by a phenomenon is not an ideal measure of the actual influence of the phenomenon (unless you're open to believing, as a consequence, that Trump's crass personality and gender diversity are the two leading problems of this generation) - so what other metrics are superior?

Here are some I've considered:
    • the number of students enrolled in "social justice"-associated post-secondary programs
    • the number of laws passed enforcing "social justice" positions
    • the number of people expressing sympathies or allegiances to "social justice" positions
    • the number of votes going to "social justice" politicians
    • the amount of money going to "social justice" brands

Since the treacherous influence of the "social-justice left" seems to be such a meaningful, partisan issue, it seems like it would be a good idea to have the true risk properly measured. How do we do it?

2. Rygu R.I.P. Obie

They even make moderate liberals cringe.

3. Ripskater Johnny Mac's friend Banned

I don't think you can measure it but,
    Social Justice is a curse on all Western Societies

4. surrealworlds <-----Alexa Vega? Captain?

They are worthless. Measurement is easier.

5. m25105 Black Belt

Outside of the internet it is really not a thing here. You lot cry about it a lot though.

6. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

They destroyed the greatest film series of all time.

[​IMG]

7. You measure SJW influence by the amount of overweight women with short hair and ridiculous hair dye and the skinny, beta-male cucks who claim to be feminists trying to get laid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. brothir Purple Belt

Nearly all of the posters above me should be ashamed for not even attempting to contribute to the actual question.

2) and 4) are what I'd like to say, but laws aren't very quantifiable in and of themselves because it can be difficult to gauge the actual effect from the letter of it, and much the same goes for politicians in that two politicians can superficially be said to have the same beliefs but have widely disparate effectiveness in pursuing those beliefs. In conclusion, laws and politicians should be the biggest confirmations of the trend, but not measure it in and of itself.

1) and 5) score high on the measurability meter but are suffer from ambiguity in actual meaning. There's no guarantee that students enroll in "SJW courses" because they are themselves that, or that them participating will have the effect that their political beliefs are directly pulled in the direction of SJW-ism. Somewhat the same for people spending money on SJW brands: maybe those have value outside of the obvious political leaning.

So that leaves us with 3), which I'll take to basically mean polling. But when polling for sympathy towards SJW, it should be constructed to delineate between various grades of SJW-ism. An example of a question to measure hard SJW-ism could be "should white men be denied the ability to vote for a few decades to let women and minorities have their say in the political process". If the percentage that says "yes" to that question goes steadily upwards year after year, I think we have a problem, though I expect < 3% as of now.

9. tonni 2019 Snitch of the Year

Hello I am a true alpha male but at the same time I’m obsessed with young people’s hair color

10. Prutfis Master of pups

They don´t really have a presence. I see more right wingers on here complain about SJWs, trannies, LGBTQWDSFT, teh gays etc than I see or hear the actual people.

11. Rygu R.I.P. Obie

SJWs talk the loudest, and they say the least.

12. Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

Good question, if one would have believed social media presence in Sweden and the amount of buzz a far right party called Alternative for Sweden had, one would have believed they would make major waves in the recent election. They were very vocal and dominated many forums but come election day, they hardly got any votes at all.

If nothing else, it's good to step outside the social media bubbles.

13. emefer Brown Belt

I'm in the bathroom, where I take a shit.
    Never heard of them until a bunch of snowflakes started to cry about them on sherdog. Never heard of them or from them anywhere else.

14. Rational Poster War Room Messiah

SJW has become a broad brush for the modern Neo-Nazi that means "anyone that thinks or believes something I disagree with"

15. Rational Poster War Room Messiah

lol Star Wars has always been campy bullshit and George Lucas sucks.

The latest Star Wars wasn't bad because of SJWs. It was bad because the writing and plot was terrible.

16. IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

There aren't many of this type of folks, and they can generally be found in only a few places. But they are quite powerful on college campuses, which makes their influence much greater than it ought to be.

17. IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

This is true to a large extent. Ironically (and perhaps that's the joke) is that "neo-nazi" has come to mean precisely the same thing but is in vogue with a different set of people.

18. Rational Poster War Room Messiah

Attending lots of colleges lately?

19. IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Preach!

[​IMG]

20. Rygu R.I.P. Obie

So just like Liberals call people Nazis who think or believe something they disagree with?