How would Max vs Tony have gone down?

GoGetSomeFansJon

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I remember Tony was given the choice of facing Max for the interim LW title at UFC 236. The fight never happened but how did you guys see this one playing out?

I think it would be (somewhat) similar to Max vs Dustin, but a closer fight since Tony’s striking is wilder, more sloppy and less technically sound than Dustin’s.

I tend to think the deciding factor would be power, hence the comparison above.

I would love to see it and I would be curious who would dictate the distance and which stance each used as both guys switch a lot.

Very competitive, don't see a TKO let alone KO for either, likely goes to split decision in which case I'd give Ferg the nod, but just barely.

Tony would probably be too big for Max. Poirier handled him pretty easily. The interesting part about max and tony is they both have amazing cardio and endless pressure. It would definitely be interesting to watch. Max possibly could just beat Tony up on the feet the whole time because unlike Tony’s other opponents Max wouldn’t get tired.

Max is a nightmare match-up for Tony, I think it goes similar to how Justin/Ferg went.

Dustin has far superior boxing than Ferguson does and the two have completely different styles of fighting, so I don't think you can use the Dustin fight as a sort of basis here. Tony is the type to prey on opponents with weak cardio, but Holloway has outstanding endurance.

I think it goes to a decision. 48-47 Holloway, but probably 49-46.

Eitherway it would've been a great fight. Both guys have good chins, top tier cardio, aggressive volume strikers.

Probably Tony. He's a bigger and more powerful.

Holloway is not a Lightweight....... his fighting style relies heavily on a size advantage. Cause he's not able to KO people in one punch and needs an overwhelming advantage in punches landed to get the KO. It becomes hard for him to beat anyone who can match his striking and yet has a strength and reach advantage. This is why he kills himself to meet the Featherweight limit.

Holloway is not a Lightweight....... his fighting style relies heavily on a size advantage. Cause he's not able to KO people in one punch and needs an overwhelming advantage in punches landed to get the KO. It becomes hard for him to beat anyone who can match his striking and yet has a strength and reach advantage. This is why he kills himself to meet the Featherweight limit.
Very true.

Hard to pick Max against any elite LW striker after seeing the Poirier fight. Dustin was largely unaffected by Max’s punches, which are 99% of Max’s game.

Now that said, Poirier is an ELITE striker, so Max could beat some guys, but no one at the “big boys tables” (top 4-5) imo.

Tony would had bully him tbh, Tony is not the bigger LW but Max looked small in there.

That said, if Max bulked up properly he could be a top 5 LW imo.

I remember Tony was given the choice of facing Max for the interim LW title at UFC 236. The fight never happened but how did you guys see this one playing out?
Max doesn't hit hard enough to keep Tony off him, Tony presses forward and destroys max.

Max with his manlet reach and pillow fists would get beaten into a living death

Back