1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How would Kenny Florian fare in current FW division?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pankrat, Sep 28, 2021.

1. pankrat Red Belt

A LW and FW UFC tittle challenger, Kenny Florian was a cerebral fighter with good movement, nasty elbows and solid overall grappling ability. One of only two fighters in UFC history with fights in 4 different weightclasses.

We didnt get to see him much at FW, moved down late and retired soon after, but Kenny took the 1st round vs prime Jose Aldo going to a competitive 5rd decision that ended fairly even in strikes landed (50-41)

Florian also clowned Guida, finished a fading but still dangerous Gomi among other legit fighters as Lauzon, Stevenson, Din Thomas or Mishima.

> Would Kenny Florian be a top contender in current FW division?

Besides Volk and Max, who would box him up and neutralize his TD attempts imo, Florian would have a legit chance vs anybody in the division, including Brian Ortega in what would be a hell of a fight.

Not against Topuria though, that guy is the real deal and will save us from a boring champion in Alexander pretty soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

I could see him being in the mix. Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5?. He was a very intelligent fighter..

[​IMG]

3. FreddieRoachsVoice Purple Belt

Insert generic "the game has passed him by" statement with no supporting evidence :rolleyes:

I honestly think he would do better at LW where he'd be less depleted but Kenny would likely be in the mix at either weight class but would not be a champion. Solid top 10 guy who loses to elite wrestlers but can be a tough out for anyone including Charles who is not suddenly invincible because he holds the belt.

Intelligence and work ethic can allow a fighter to evolve and stay competitive. RDA started his UFC career 0-2 and is still ranked. Dariush is ranked in the top 5 at LW ffs so people can relax saying that the current talent are at some "all time high".

4. The-AxeMurderer Gold Belt

He always struggled with wrestlers.

FW doesnt seem to have to many.

Probably top 10.

5. 13Seconds Gold Belt

He'd get chewed up in both divisions today. Kenflo was always good but lacked athleticism and strength. You need that to a certain degree.

HHJ likes this.
  6. pankrat Red Belt

Chewed at what level? By the champion, probably, but is definitely a tough out for just anybody else in the division including ranked ones.

Typrune Goatley and Bubba Kid like this.
  7. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

I agree with the people you mentioned, but I also think Zabit would outstrike him and he wouldn't be able to take him down or imo put enough of a pace on him to gas him either.

Typrune Goatley and pankrat like this.
  8. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Disagree. I'd put him at the bottom of top 10 in both divisions today. Evolution is real otherwise it doesn't make sense. Fighters today are better than 11 years ago.

Also, Kenflo is 1-1 at FW. Didn't look that good vs Nunes.

GOATtalks likes this.
  9. Eric Silva 2.0 Brown Belt

I think he's top 5 in the FW divison and maybe number 3. He doesn't get past Max or Volk but maybe the rest. Kenny was a very smart fighter and would adjust anywhere you put him.

pankrat likes this.
  10. DestinedAussie Brown Belt

It is the comparing era's mistake. I think Kenny showed to be one of the smarter fighters and handled much bigger fighters at times. With modern training and techniques I don't doubt he would be a contender for the belt.

11. pankrat Red Belt

We saw Florian give prime Aldo a competitive fight. He could definitely hang with any FW today out of Max/Volk. If you think otherwise please bring something beyond "the sport evolves brah" shertardism please, thanks

12. Lawrence Black Belt

The "tough out" comment sums it up for me.

I think Kenflo would paint the canvas. And supply paint.

The matchups in the top ten would all be violent and fun.

Would love to see Kenflo and Champ Charles on the Matt

pankrat likes this.
  13. MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Looking at the top...
    upload_2021-9-28_9-27-53.png
    Probably beat Bryce Mitchell and that's about it. Maybe Sodiq?

14. SirRealKiller SOOTHSAYER

I think he'd still be good but the problem is there are many more fighters on his level now so I don't think he'd be top 5.

15. Jackonfire BMF Mod Staff Member Senior Moderator

God I can't imaging listening to Florian's brother in the crowdless Apex.

pankrat likes this.
  16. xentreos Purple Belt

I have to agree with the sentiment here. Kenny skills are for sure elite by today's standards but he wouldn't shine as bright because of the level playing field. He would be in the mix for sure imo, but he wouldn't be the all star talent he was in his time.

Bubba Kid and pankrat like this.
  17. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

That fight really wasn't competitive. All he did was push Aldo into the cage and failed miserably. He tried the same with Penn, also failing miserably.

ironfist05 likes this.
  18. pankrat Red Belt

He did that (it wasn't Aldo's choice to find himself with the back against the wall, it's rather a bad habit of him that Volk exploited) but also Florian won the first round (against a notably strong guy in inital rounds) and the fight went the full 5 rounds with a 50-41 differencial in strikes landed.

Not the same than BJ, who didnt lose the first or any round, ended with a 57-19 striking differential and actually finished the fight.

Im not saying it wasnt a clear W for Aldo, but yeah, it was fairly competitive. For all those posters who are saying that Florian would "get chewed up" by today FWs, should we assume than any of the 15 ranked FWs todays would have an easier time with Kenny than prime Jose Aldo had?

VitorReem and Bubba Kid like this.
  19. DOMMA Black Belt

Kenny was very skilled but lacked athleticism. The top guys today are simply more athletic (stronger / faster) and would be a problem for Kenny.

20. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Florian was a good fighter. I'm not disputing that he wouldn't be competitive. He would. But Aldo soundly won that fight.

pankrat likes this.